“The best hotel customer service I have ever encountered”

Crowne Plaza Denver
Ranked #55 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Denver this last November for a professional conference. On the last day of my meeting I came down with an extremely bad case of food poisoning; having already checked out of the Crowne Plaza, and with my flight scheduled for 11PM that night, I desperately needed but did not have a place where I could lay down for a few hours. This all changed, however, when I went back to the CP and asked them if there was somewhere I could rest. Thinking they would just take to me to a couch in a back room, I was instead given a free room for the entire afternoon and evening before I needed to make my flight. The hotel did not need to give me a free bed, but they were gracious enough to do so anyway. So, if you are traveling through Denver and need a place to stay, go with the Crowne Plaza in downtown: you'll get a great room, and will rest easy knowing that their excellent service gave a helping hand to a fellow traveller in need.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
CPDenver12, Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so very sorry to learn that you spent part of your trip sick. We are grateful that we had the ability to give you a place to rest so that you could feel some better before traveling home. We love to be able to go the extra mile for our guests and hope to take great care of you again next time you visit the Denver area.

The Crowne Plaza Denver Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,604)

Reviewed 31 March 2011

My colleague and I came to Denver for a series of business meetings... We heard that the Westin was "dirty" and it was recommended that we not stay there. When we did a search, we found the Crowne Plaza seemed to have the location we desired with the price-point we liked... Boy, we should have paid a few dollars more to stay at the Hyatt or Four Seasons for the price!

The problems started right from the start... The parking garage is a nightmare! For some reason, parking is $20 per day (outrageous for Denver) and fills the lower levels of the building. The spaces are cramped and there is no security for females. You've got to walk a long hallway to get to the hotel that is poorly lit... My female partner did not feel safe at all!

When we checked in, we were given a room that was right next to the elevator shaft. We were in a hurry to run to our first meeting, but upon returning to the hotel we noticed that the room "shook" about every minute and a half! We had room service make a delivery, and inquired if this shaking was due to a public transportation system or something. "Ah, no. That would be the elevator!" was our response. We moved rooms graciously thanks to the operating manager Robert. Our next room was considerably smaller, but MUCH quieter.

I used the workout room the next day. It was state of the art and great, but unfortunately a short "breezeway" walk. Not much to enjoy in the 15* Denver AM, but I made the most of the trek and didn't catch cold.

The hotel bar might just be the best part... The bartender is a guy named Michael. He not only remembered what we ordered for lunch, but helped recommend other items as well. Strike that... He was the best part of this hotel.

The hotel property used to be a Holiday Inn from I'm guessing the 70's. NOTE - If you like Holiday Inn's from the 70's, you'll be in heaven here! The carpet/paint/etc. is still the same. Someone told me that they underwent a remodel... I think they meant that there were new curbs installed outside. The place is just old and tired!

Lastly, and here was the real kick in the you know whats... on our last night we had a local colleague who decided not to drink 'n drive (always a good policy). He inquired as to the best rate he could receive, and the registration person gave him a rate that was 1/4 the price we were paying! Wait, it gets better... He got a suite!

Last time staying here... Hello Hyatt or Four Seasons!

Room Tip: Tell them you've been drinking!
1  Thank PathosGuy

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience. We are very sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. Our $20 overnight parking is the best value in downtown Denver. All other properties that have a parking lot charge anywhere from $23 to $29 dollars. It is an unfortunate reality when you are in any downtown environment. We do have a security team that monitors garage activity over night. Good deals at the last minute in the hotel world do happen. We are glad we could accommodate your friend. We were really happy to learn that you were taken care of by Michael and enjoyed his service. We love having him as part of our team! Thank you again for your time.

The Crowne Plaza Team

Reviewed 31 March 2011

We negotiated a better price and got down to 119 before tax. I stayed for three nights. I had a very good sized room at room 2010. My room was about 4 feet wider than 2008. Room was very well appointed, king bed, lots of condiments. Coffee machine and water supplied. Despite the previous report by Bosozokuster who was devastated by the wardrobe door left open and the chair in the wrong place, I was very satisfied with the room cleaning. Get real, mate. No complaints with the room. Concierge staff are very good and will help with anything. You have to have a beer at the bar with Michael the barman. He is a very funny guy and I would stay there again just for his entertaining company.
Back to the rooms - Everything you need, great view if you ask for one. Hotel is in a great location next to Convention Centre and Pavillion and a few steps to 16th Street Mall.
I can't fault this hotel, service was very good and staff brilliant. The rooms are very modern but perhaps others have been give older rooms. Price was good and location the same.
Note to manager, pay Michael in the bar a bonus. There were quite a few of us that stayed in the bar just for the fun we had with him.

Room Tip: Great location
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ACEPMQ

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to report such a terrific experience. We are very proud of our hotel cleanliness and staff and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts about it. Michael is a fantastic employee who is loved by everyone! Your compliments will certainly earn him a nomination for one of employee awards. We would be honored to have you stay with us again next time you are in the Denver area.

Reviewed 30 March 2011

I booked this hotel last minute through getaroom.com for a business trip. My other travelmates stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple of blocks away and paid significantly more (if I would have stayed there it would have been double!). Rooms are...ok...kinda small. You can tell they're in the middle of redoing the hotel. Bathroom was half new (sinks and shower tile) and half old (really old vinyl). Weirdest thing to me is that the sink has this weird apron in the front that keeps you from really being able to access it (I had to stand on my tip toes to finish brusing my teeth). Oh, and the new freestanding sink is too big and you have to sit sideways on the toilet.

Front desk was pretty good, bellstaff outstanding. Had a really bad experience with room service...called to order and they thought I was a man. When I corrected them, they laughed. Didn't think it was funny. Plus, they then tell me that the menu I have is old. Ok, what do you want ME to do about it??

Good location to convention center. Internet is free.

Dear Valued Guest,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the things you were not pleased with but very happy that you were able to get a terrific price at the last minute. We wanted to share that we recognize the sinks in some of the rooms have been difficult for some people to use. Our ownership has been very supportive of the feedback and has decided to redesign the sinks so they will be more user friendly. Soon we will have new sinks in all of our guest rooms. We are happy to know that you had great experience with our bell and concierge staff. We are sorry that you had poor room service experience and we will use this information as a training tool to improve our service. Thank you again and we hope to see you again next time you visit downtown Denver.

The Crowne Plaza Team

Reviewed 25 March 2011

Stayed here for 10 days as my wife is attending a conference. So, my routine is rather similar everyday ie have breakfast with my wife At The nearby bakery( our room didnt come with breakfast) and after sending my wife to her conference,i will shop around and will be back At The room around 1 pm.

But, to my dismay, on those days that i return to The room,i had to sit At The lobby as The room was not done. Besides that, The only thing that was done are The bed and The toilet!!!The desk remain cluttered and The floor was not vacuumed. Even The chair was not put in placed and The wardrobe door was not even closed!! To make it worse,everyday they forget to placed 2 complimentary bottle of mineral water as such i have to personally call The housekeeping myself.

To make it worse, We are a member of The Priority Club and this was The treatment We got.

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We were unhappy to learn that you were dissatisfied with the timeliness and cleanliness of your room. Often times we can accommodate special needs that our guests may have when we know about them. We have an amazing housekeeping staff that have extremely high cleanliness ratings that are recognized by many of our guests on a continuous basis so I can assure you that your experience with the cleanliness of your room was definitely an exception and not the norm. Also, we wanted to let you know that all of our guest rooms come with only one bottle of water which is not replaced daily. We thank you for taking time to share your feedback with hopes that you will choose to stay with us again in the future for a very different experience.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza 5 yrs ago on the same floor and nothing has changed since. It is comfortable but they need to update a few things. From the parking garage (which costs $20 a day) you can swipe your room key and go directly to your floor which was nice. The pool is outdoors and is only open from May-Sept (I think it said) which was a disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
CPDenver12, Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. Our hotel did undergo a 9 million dollar renovation which was completed in 2007. We are always trying to improve and we will continue to invest in the betterment of the hotel for our guests. We apologize that you were unable to experience the wonderful, heated, outdoor pool under the night lights of the city. Our pool is seasonal is open from May through September. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2011

I was surrounded by 3 rooms of college students who were partying all night. Smoke in the hallways, doors slamming open and shut. laughter, etc. I called once at 11 PM, scolded them myself at 12 AM and called again at 5 AM. To make matters worse, housekeeping comes knocking at 8:30 AM when I have had NO SLEEP! There was also a small dead bug in my bed. My first Crowne stay and NOT IMPRESSED!!

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for your feedback. It is our intent to provide a comfortable stay to each and every guest. We want to apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay. We want to know immediately about any issues that our guests experience during their stay so that we may address and correct them promptly. We have a very strict policy for noise complaints which involves a onetime only request, asking the guest to eliminate the noise, rechecking the area of concern, if noise is still occurring asking the noisy guest to leave the property immediately.

Our housekeeping department does start cleaning rooms at 8:30am unless our guest has a "do not disturb" posted on the door. We apologize that you were woken up after a night of very little sleep. We do offer a "quiet zone" on the 19th floor where housekeeping does not start cleaning rooms until after 10am.

We hope that you may choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Denver. We truly value our guests and their experience at Crowne Plaza Denver. When you stay with us, please let us know immediately about any issues or concerns you may have so that we can address and correct them promptly and you can enjoy your stay with us.