“Extended Stay America-NOT a home away from home”

Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North
Ranked #107 of 156 Hotels in Denver
Denver, Colorado
“Extended Stay America-NOT a home away from home”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Absolutely trashy. Paid for three nights in advance, yes, they make you pay in advance. Only stayed one night and never went back. Room/bath in terrible condition. Holes in blanket, people yelling all night, smelled bad. Lobby wreaked of bleach and cleaners, although I don't know what they were cleaning, it wasn't clean. Reservations messed up. They never sent an email confirmation regarding reservation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ezgrif
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the condition of your room and in the lobby area. As well, for the noise disturbances you experienced throughout the night. Please know, we take this very seriously and were able to find a solution to the disturbances you have referenced in your review. I have also discussed your other comments with the team, and we are in the process of improving our cleanliness procedures moving forward.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at dtc@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

The staff at Homestead Studio Suites made me feel like I was in my home away from home!

Traveling for business, away from my family for the greater part of 4 months, I stayed at the Tech Center location. The cleaning service was top notch, the staff was always professional, with great service and very accommodating. It is conveniently located near great restaurants and gyms.The reasonable prices were the clincher when I was looking for a long term stay.

I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I was- thanks guys!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am sorry that you had to be away from your family for about 4-months; however, it's great to hear that we were able to make your stay comfortable. We are also so happy to read that you had time to experience the great restaurants in the area and even have time for the gym!

Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I had been searching for hotels in and around the Denver Tech Center area for several hours when this place came to mind. Every other place that I had looked at was either WAY too expensive, or a hole in the wall. Honestly, it does NOT get better than this, especially for the money. To start off- the staff (I spoke to Greg) is extremely friendly and accommodating. He took care of me and processed everything within 5 minutes. I got the room that I wanted (very clean) which included a big flat screen TV and a fully equipped kitchen. Location is perfect: less than a quarter mile away from the highway and 3 minute walk to lightrail. Thank you: VTA

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side (closest to light-rail) are extremely quiet and very private.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our location met your needs and your stay was pleasant. As well, I truly appreciate you sharing your wonderful remarks about the staff, especially Greg. They work hard to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests to enjoy.

We would definitly love to have you stay with us again. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed with my family for a week and it was good experience for the money. The staffs were friendly and welcoming. Its located close to I -25 and has stores close by. wifi was of good signal and room was clean.

i had an executive room for 3 adults - felt little small especially the kitchen and dining. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us and we provided a great home away from home for you. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We are definitely looking forward to your next visit to Denver.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

located in the safe and easily accessible denver tech center..A great location for excellent food and shopping within minutes.I have stayed here for three monthes with easy access to Rtd light rail and a wonderful management and staff.Rooms and accomadations are excellent and rates are resonable.I highly recommend at stay at this location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderfull review of your stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I JUST READ SOME OF THESE REVIEWS. Get real! No hotel is perfect But some of these reviews are really out of line. I have stayed off and on at this hotel and have never experienced anything like the reviews I have read complaining that everything was terrible. I have enjoyed this hotel for the past five years. They have replaced the beds, bedspreads and even a new flat screen tv. The staff has always taken very good care of my stay which was sometimes a month at a time It sounds like some of these people might of been tired and maybe a little crabby after their long drive. All of us are guilty of this but to write such bad things about a business is just not right. If all of this is true how come I have never experienced any of these things? Everything in any of the rooms I have had are in perfect conditions and their is always a manager available. So get real people, stop and think before you criticize! Get real!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gerri h
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a glowing review of the Extended Stay America- DTC Center North. It's great to hear that we are meeting and exceeding your expectations when it comes the value of our product. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Central New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

I travel to Denver all the time and have stayed at 2 other Homestead Suites in the area (Cherry Creek and Tech Center South). While nothing fancy, at least they were clean and safe with the items they state they provide (i.e., basic cookware, microwave). So I thought it would be great to stay at this particular one with the Light Rail Station (Bellevue) directly in front for my Broncos games, going downtown, etc. Seemed like a good plan and I got a great rate as a government employee despite it being a vacation trip. I booked a handicap accessible room through the Extended Stay website.

Pros: The location was great for the Light Rail and super easy on-easy off to I-25 and very close to I-225.

Cons: Everything else.

Gratefully, I am a little neurotic on cleanliness so I had Lysol wipes and always sleep on TOP of the bed after laying my own bedsheet down and then use my own sleeping bag, pillows and camp towels no matter where I am staying - could be a Hilton - they have problems too, but nothing like this place. This place is what Dateline and 20/20 specials are made of.

I was also going to be going camping for a couple of days during the trip so I had the cooking/eating things for that portion of the trip I needed with me too. Let me clearly, clearly, clearly state that if I had not brought Lysol wipes, my own linens and the camping supplies that I would have been up the creek big time. Thankfully I drove from Central New York and had plenty of room to bring these items.

Where should I start? Oh, let me state that I'm an above knee amputee. I'm active and able to go camping and all, but need to use a wheelchair at times and nothing is easy or convenient, not to mention it takes me much longer to accomplish tasks because of my disability. Not complaining - just the way it is. That may make the reader appreciate this review a little more as to staff quality.

1. The first room I was put in had a broken refrigerator. Good thing I went to get a yogurt a couple hours after arrival otherwise the $65 I spent for perishables would have been out the door. To remedy this I had to move my refrigerator items to a room a couple doors down since it was late. I was given keys to the second room so I could go get things if needed. OK, at least my groceries are good and we'll handle it in full in the morning - seemed reasonable enough. The next day I asked to have the refrigerator replaced since I had already settled in and unpacked for a 10 day stay. Nope - they wouldn't move the refrigerator even though it was only a couple of rooms away. THEY MADE A DISABLED WOMAN IN A WHEELCHAIR MOVE TO A DIFFERENT ROOM RATHER THAN MOVE THE REFRIGERATOR. THEY CHOSE TO INCONVENIENCE A GUEST RATHER THAN REMEDY THE PROBLEM PROPERLY. The maintenance guy helped me move my things, but I had already been settled in and he certainly wasn't going to settle my things back in, just dump them in the room. So there was a good 3 hours blown after a nearly 1800 mile drive in the days prior. I physically needed to rest, but instead got to re-settle my room again. I find it hard to believe that of all the properties owned by Extended Stay that none of them had a refrigerator dolly to move it. I'd think each property would have one.
2. Lamp shades in room I ultimately was in were in deplorable shape. Deformed, cracks on the inner portion, dirty. Just awful. Replaced about 3 days before I left.
3. No cookware/cookware utensils whatsoever - again, thank God I was camping and had the items I needed anyway. I wasn't expecting much - maybe a 3 qt. pot and a 10" frypan, a spatula and maybe a can opener.
3. No microwave whatsoever - I essentially demanded a staff member to go find one and bring it to me. No joke - it took him 30 minutes looking through empty rooms before he found one.
4. Rooms are supposed to have full table setting and utensils for 2 people. I had 2 cups, 1 plate, 1 steak knife and a spoon. That's it - again, good thing I was camping and had my mess kit to use.
5. No dishrack whatsoever - I suppose that doesn't matter if you're not giving someone tableware.
6. Towel rack was literally hanging off the right side of the wall as if someone had been hanging on it. While the maintenance guy was moving my things I had him fix this. The kitchen light had 1 of the 2 lights burned out - he replaced those too. As a tradesman's daughter there was no freaking way he was leaving until I had everything I identified repaired.
7. I have NEVER, EVER purchased a mop as a souvenir for a trip. Based on everything else I was experiencing I didn't feel too good about the floor. I also swung by the dollar store for some toilet bowl cleaner and toilet brush. Based on what I was discovering I had no faith whatsoever in their housekeeping staff.
8. I went to the lobby to ask for something and some woman was sloppily eating crackers and crumbs were everywhere. I made a comment and was told she's there all the time. I got what I needed, but went back for some quarters for laundry about 2 hours later - think anyone had cleaned up the crumbs all over the chair and floor? Nope.
9. While I realize that these types of places may have people staying there for several weeks, it appeared that this was being used as social services transitional housing from what I could tell. How could I tell you ask? I'm a licensed master social worker so it was a pretty easy call to make. These were not people temporarily staying while relocating to another place - some had been there for months and months, like the woman with all the crumbs. I can't begin to tell you how many beer bottles I found near my Jeep in the parking lot. Thank God it wasn't vandalized or damaged during my stay. I know people need assistance and a place to stay at times, but it seems the trend all over the country is to set people up in hotels for extended periods of time. I'm not happy with that as a taxpayer. I'm inclined to think that this was the reason most of the things that should have been in there (i.e., microwave, cookware, dishrack) were not. When leaving many of these "guests" take things with them, something confirmed by the hotel manager I had a very lengthy talk with.

I took pictures of all the problems I described above with my iPod Touch and showed it to the manager. He clearly stated there was no reason my room should have been like that and apologized. Being an assertive person by nature of my profession, I told him I wanted to be considerably compensated for this nightmare, especially as a disabled guest who was highly inconvenienced - I was given 3 free nights. I tactfully did this by having him go into a side room to talk and clearly told him that if there was a decent housekeeping staff there that these would not likely have developed into problems. If I were a housekeeper and saw a rack CLEARLY hanging off a wall I'd let the maintenance person or manager know about it so it could be repaired - how hard is that?!?! I'd say that if good housekeepers were working there that about 85% of my concerns wouldn't have even existed since they could have been addressed as the problems arose.

Why didn't I leave, you ask? Tempted, to be sure. Well, after I addressed everything quite tactfully, yet assertively, with the manager my stay was a decent enough one. I told the manager I didn't want any housekeeping in my room since they don't do their work anyway. I had already cleaned the room to my cleanliness standards. So since I had the maintenance guy do all the repair work my room needed and cleaned it on my own I then felt the room met basic standards. But should anyone have to go through all of this?

I kid you not when I tell you that this experience was a very significant one in my decision to purchase a brand new small travel trailer to use for my trips rather than risk staying at a place like this. At least I know the housekeeping staff working in my travel trailer. Dateline and 20/20 don't do expose specials based on a single bad hotel. This place is the poster child for those specials.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NatlParkLoverNY
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that your stay was less than favorable, Broken refrigerators and towel racks that are improperly installed are not acceptable, as well as the cleanliness issues. This is in no way a indicator of how we run this property. To prevent this from happening again, my team has undergone further training and we have implemented additional procedures to ensure maintenance issues are taken care of in a timely manner. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and I invite you to contact me at dtc@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Denver hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
Capitol Hill
11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
The Timbers Hotel
#101 of 156 in Denver

Been to Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North? Share your experiences!