“A nice place to stay in a great location...”

Courtyard Denver Downtown
Ranked #61 of 159 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 December 2007

Although I wasn't blown away by my visit, I did enjoy my recent three-night stay at the Courtyard Downtown. The hotel is well kept and nicely decorated, and I even got to enjoy some pretty holiday decor during my December trip. (I paid $129 per night; other hotels in the area were at least $50 more during the time of my stay, but I'm not sure why!) The hotel's location is ideal--it is bounded by the 16th Street Mall, Champa, and Curtis, placing it squarely in the heart of great downtown activities. Because the city blocks are short in this part of Denver, it was very easy for me to walk to the Convention Center and the performing arts district (each less than five minutes away) as well as to the Pepsi Center (about a fifteen-minute walk because of car traffic). There are plenty of nice restaurants and shops in the area, so I never felt unsafe, even though I did all of my walking alone at night in the snow <=) I stayed on the sixth floor facing away from the mall, so my room was quiet and had helpful views of the Convention Center to my left and the Pepsi Center off to the right. When I did visit the mall, the lack of any real distance between the hotel's front door and that area was fantastic!

My queen-bed room had the most vaulted ceilings I've ever experienced in a hotel, and there was plenty of space to move around in (see pix). The bed itself was WAY too soft for my tastes, but many guests probably enjoy that cushy feeling. There were several pillows of different firmness levels to choose from, which was nice. For those who need complete darkness to sleep, be aware that the curtains are not designed to close especially tightly; I used a hairclip to overlap mine enough to keep out the morning sun. I really liked the extremely comfortable little armchair in the corner, and the desk and accompanying suede-upholstered chair were nice. The bathroom was only okay, but it was clean (especially after the maid came and doused it in strong lemon cleaning solution the second morning--that was not fun in such a contained space!).

Two final notes: 1) The business center's Internet service truly is blazingly fast (I didn't bring my laptop, but I'm assuming that the free in-room hookup would also be great), and 2) the vending machines offer Coke on some floors, Pepsi on others, and very little snackage (and what there is requires credit card-only payment).

All in all, my stay at the Courtyard Downtown was pleasant, and I would certainly recommend this hotel for travelers who simply want a well-situated, fairly priced, middle-of-the-road, reliable place to sleep. Happy holidays!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank flyalanche

Reviewed 10 December 2007

This hotel is pretty decent for a downtown hotel. We got a great rate of only $109 for Labor Day weekend. The location is excellent, right on the 16th Street Mall. Walk out the front door and catch the free shuttle to tons of entertainment/shopping and restaurants. We walked to Coors Field, which took about 15 minutes or so.
Our room was average....sink is in bathroom instead of separate, no fridge or microwave, and we were told there was nothing they could do about the water backing up in the tub because it's an old building.
There's convenient valet parking for $17/day outside the front door. The buffet breakfast (not included in room rate) wasn't as good as other Courtyards we've stayed at, and the service left a little to be desired, but maybe it was because of the holiday? Bud at the front desk was very helpful.
We'd probably stay there again next time we're in Denver, mainly because of the location.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilive4sun
Reviewed 10 December 2007

My 15 year old son and I stayed here for 2 nights as we were in town for his birthday which included a Broncos game and a Nuggets game. This hotel has a business center with 3 computers you may use. Also, the lower level has a whirlpool and lap pool. My son thought the pool was small as he is 5*10 and could hardly get a few strokes in before having to turn around. They had just decorated for Christmas and the Lobby was very pretty. The attached restaurant we did not use except for me, I had a few post game drinks one night. The location is great. You can take the 16th street free bus to Union Station and go to the Pepsi Center or the Invesco Field. Also, it is right across from a Chilis and a few blocks from another shopping area where the Nike store and Victorias Secret are. The beds were great, the room was clean although smaller than our other room at the Adams Mark. We pricelined for I think $85 total. If I had to stay here and pay full price for the room I would compare it to our Adams Mark room just for room size and amenities. The staff were not too good on giving directions to the sporting event locations and pretty much the locals told us how to get where we were going.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2007

We were needing a place to stay at the last mintue, on a weekend, and this ended up being the most reasonably priced hotel, close to downtown. The rooms were big and clean. The pool was small, but the kids had fun. The shuttle service would take us downtown any time throughout the day. The free dinner and breakfast was a great feature.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank gjnbln
Reviewed 31 October 2007

We stayed at this hotel in October 2007 while traveling to Denver to attend a Denver Broncos game. The location was awesome-- right in the middle of the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver. There are tons of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. right out the front door and a convenient free shuttle that runs from LoDo (lower downtown) to the upper end of 16th Street. The rooms in the hotel were clean and the beds were super comfy. My only complaint was with some loud neighbors. The walls seemed to be on the thin side and not drown out alot of noise from neighboring visitors. We enjoyed having morning coffee at the Starbucks just off the hotel lobby and had a tasty and hearty breakfast at the hotel's Rialto cafe in the mornings. This was a great spot for pre-dinner cocktails as well. Parking was kinda steep at $17 but unless you plan to venture outside of the downtown area, there is not much need for a car. Overall, this hotel is a great pick in the downtown area.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank lawdog111
Reviewed 24 October 2007

This was a basic hotel. Bed was comfortable, room was quiet and clean. Free coffee in the lobby in the morning. I didn’t eat at the hotel, but there was an excellent diner down the block where I had breakfast each morning. There is also a Corner Bakery a short walk down 16th Street. This hotel is in a good location if you need anything since 16th Street is right there (Walgreens, retail shops, etc.).

A few issues during my 5-night stay:
*One day I didn’t receive maid service (I left the room at 9:30 AM, returned from 2-3:30). Had to call for housekeeping at 8:30 PM.
*One of my phones didn’t work and the TV didn’t either. I noticed at the end of my trip, so I didn’t make an effort to get them fixed.
*There seems to be a homeless issue in the area---the bathrooms in the lobby, elevators, and stairwells all require a room key. In the mornings management would periodically ask people if they were hotel guests (some got up and left). Other hotels in the area don't seem to have comfy lobbies, maybe to discourage any hanging around. Although I didn't have a problem, this would probably be the only reason why I wouldn't stay here again if traveling alone.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 20 October 2007

We stayed here for a wedding September 22-23, the hotel was good, maid service on Sunday could have been better, out of the room most of the morning and part of the afternoon, and room was not cleaned till around 3:00 in the afternoon. The first disappointment came Saturday night after we came back from party. We went down to the bar/cafe attached advertised by the hotel. They claimed to have happy hour when we were there, but when we asked the waiter his comment was that that was not true if you sat outside at the patio of the same place. Also it was not all items just certain items. The advertisement all around the hotel did not say what he was saying at all, plus he had an attitude. The second and reason I am even writing this review, is that I wrote a letter to the management of the hotel about my concerns and as of today one month later I have no received a response.