“Great property on the 16h Street Mall, Starbucks opens at 5am”

Courtyard Denver Downtown
Ranked #57 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 July 2008

The Courtyard was great. It was the only downtown hotel that would do a "walk in" (I didn't want to make a reservation) and quoted me a great walk-in rate ($109 after the 4th of July holiday--a weekend rate on a Sunday night). I was worried about the noise from the 16th Street Mall but got a quiet room facing the other direction. Room was spotless and in working order. One cup coffee machine an annoyance (can't they limit these machines to the Motel 6?). Staff was friendly and told me where everything was. Starbucks in the lobby opened at 6am,Peets Coffee 4 blocks away. Restaurant in the lobby was so-so but had a great happy hour. In short, despite some of the negative reviews, the property exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank 2Midwest
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Denver Downtown

Reviewed 3 June 2008

Just returned from staying at this hotel for 4 nights. My brother chose the hotel and reserved a block of rooms for his wedding party. The hotel is quite nicely finished inside and out. Rooms were average size but felt larger due to tall ceilings. Staff was very pleasant and accomodated any request, especially the valets. A word of warning for light sleepers - if you expect a quiet room make sure to book a high floor on the back side of the building away from the 16th Street Mall. Also, the walls seemed very thin as we could hear any conversations, tv, radio, etc. from the adjacent rooms. Other than that, everything was great. Location was very convenient to anything downtown. I would certainly stay again (in a quieter room location).

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2008

I stayed at the Courtyard for two nights on business. Great location. Able to catch the free bus from the corner. Front desk was friendly offering bottled water upon arrival. Quick check in. Needed to use the room key to access the elevator. Asked for a refrigerator in my room. Went out to lunch and had to call for the refrigerator to be delivered again. It arrived within 5 minutes. Great workout room, with the latest equipment (treadmills with tvs, bikes with tv, etc)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2008

The Courtyard Denver Downtown is located in a great area – directly on the 16th Street Mall. An important part of staying in Denver is being centrally located and this is a good spot. Besides the location, the hotel is located in a historic building and is part of Denver’s history. The staff and service they provided was overall very good – we were treated nicely and made to feel welcome upon our arrival. The rooms are fairly standard – if you’re looking for a plush 4-star hotel room, this isn’t your place, but if you’re looking for nice, clean accommodations, then this will be perfect. They have a business center room that may be accessed by any hotel guest and I found this to be a great amenity. My only problem with the hotel is the fact that many of the rooms are inside the hotel building itself and therefore some of the hotel room windows look out onto the inside of the hotel rather than outside – just be sure to ask for a hotel room that faces the outside of the building rather than one that faces the inside of the building (you won’t get any natural sunlight).

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 6 April 2008

got a good deal on stay, but was surprised by daily valet fee of $20. very close to all sporting events in denver. right on 16th street mall. lots of restaurants within walking distance. you can take the free mall shuttle up and down 16th street. But did not expect to pay $20 a day to park my car. I did not drive my car at all during my stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I am spending my last of 3 nights at this property. I had originally been booked for 4 nights at a rate of $179/night, I had to change my arrival date by 1 day and I was stuck with some sort of Junior Suite at $289/night. I was annoyed as it was a huge price difference for one less night-Iwasn't adding nights. And I didn't need a 2 room suite for 1 person. So however, I need to rate my experience based on $289 a night.

I didn't use the sitting room at all, but there was a second bathroom off it which if I were with family would have been great. The king size bed was comfy and I like that the internet hookup was close to the bed so I could sit there and work rather than at the desk.

Fresh chocolate chip cookies available each night at the front desk were nice, as was complimentary hot beverages each morning from 6am-10am.

Location as described by others was great. I loved being on the 16th Street Mall and went from one end to the other. I never felt unsafe as a woman alone and walked around in daylight and night. It is a very crowded area and many singles were around.

For the negatives, for nearly $300 per night I thought that the hotel info binder in the room should be clean and free of the previous guests food and candy debris (it was not). The coffee cups for the in room coffee maker were stained and chipped. The TV Cable lacked many channels that I consider basic-Bravo, Food Network, Comedy Central etc. 1 remote for 2 tvs (I didn't need two, but had I...), the tub had a broken drain cover so you had to adjust it to keep the tub from filling with water during your shower. As you can see all managable but you can't charge that price without fixing those things. Lastly, the hot tub and excercise room is being renovated but no word of that on their website. I found out after toting my workout clothes and swimsuit for no reason upon checkin. That was disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank sdsansky
Reviewed 3 February 2008

A meeting at the hotel was the reason I chose it, and I'm very pleased our meeting planner selected this hotel. Its location on downtown Denver's 16th Street Mall means that there's easy access to shops (including a branch of Denver's famous Tattered Cover bookstore and a Virgin music store) and restaurants. Free buses run up and down the mall so frequently that (at least when I was there) the wait for a bus seemed shorter than the wait for an elevator in some hotels.

I had arrived by train. The Amtrak station is near one end of the mall. So I wound up walking back from the hotel to the train station (a considerably shorter hotel-to-transit terminal distance than I would have experienced if I had needed to get to the Denver airport).

The hotel itself was typical of a Courtyard by Marriott, for the most part. The staff's attentive service was exceptionally impressive--and made me feel almost as if I were in a boutique hotel. In fixing an error on my bill, they were very prompt and sympathetic. When I picked up luggage I had stored prior to checkout, they made me feel truly like a "guest," not just a customer.

Not everyone may care for this hotel, though. I had a room with a view of an interior atrium, and some may insist on rooms with outside views. To access the public restrooms near our meeting room, we needed to use a key card. Looking at some of the people outside the hotel, I wondered if there might be a homeless population in downtown Denver that the key card requirement is designed to exclude. However, I generally felt safe in the neighborhood; and one of the women in our group did explore the neighborhood (in the daylight) on her own. The hotel is not far from the convention center and the art museum; so there is more than just a shopping/eating district.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business