“great hotel for the money”

Residence Inn Denver Downtown
Ranked #69 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 5 March 2014

not far from 16th street mall. I felt safe walking on champa even late at night. Rooms clean and modern. small gym but adequate. I paid about 220 per night. nice size room. flexible with parking too and bfast was good

Room Tip: iwas in the sheriton and the rooms were old. the gym there is first class though
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Casey W, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Foodybako,
Thank you for the great review! It sounds like you had a great trip to Denver and were able to enjoy our beautiful city. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and look forward to your next visit.

Safe Travels,
Casey and the entire Residence Inn Denver Downtown team.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

First off I'll say this place is average except for its location (the location is stellar - super close to all sorts of attractions and right off the highway). So, if you are looking for 'average' stop reading and book a stay! For those looking for a bit more than average here's my personal experience: Perhaps my excellent stays at other excellent sites have tainted my perspective to make this place average in comparison but regardless I have to be honest; average is the best I can say. First I did not find the all the staff helpful. I read a few of the other reviewes and they have said that but, not from my experience. A few were very nice. But then there were some that were annoyed that a guest was asking for help. For example I asked for help and the gal at the front desk said she'd be right with me (she was doing nothing when I asked for her help) then she helped another guest who walked up to the desk right after I did then another guest right after that, then she helped a co-worker with a printer having to go into the back to get more paper for them and then played with the machine when it still wouldn't work, then she answered the phone and started helping that customer. I finally left after she'd been on the phone with the person for several minutes and then started looking up room availabilites. How about helping the person who has already rented a room??? Contrast that with the staff member working the free dinner who came over and refilled my drink. He was super cheerful, made light converstaion and then moved on. Fantastic! As a matter of fact all the staff who worked the breakfast and dinners were nice and friendly (though quite flustered at times: note to food manager plan better portions of food based on occupancy. if you are going to invite over an entire local apartment complex for dinner you might need more food. same thing with the multiple highschool wrestling groups - those kids eat ALOT). So there you go. On to the rooms... the first time my room smelled faintly of cigarette smoke and I could never get the temperature to a comfortable level in the room. On my second stay the tempature was perfect but the cigarette smell was overwhelming. I get there's 'no smoking' in the room but if a smoker steps out the door then right back in they're going to carry that smell with them. And since it seems this place has a lot of folks who 'live' there perhaps my room had a smoker who stayed for a bit and that's why there was an overwhelming odor??? Then the noise... there was the guy above me and again, from what I could tell he'd been at the hotel for awhile and had a routine of getting in around 1am. Every night. Which would be fine except the floor squeaked with every step he took. Talk about a rude awakening (each and every night). And the cold showers... oh the cold showers. On my first visit (which was just an overnighter) my shower was cold but I chalked that up to lots of folks using the hot water in the morning. On my second visit which was a week long I showered in the evening. I expect to be able to take a decently hot shower of 4 or 5 minutes. Nope, so after my brisk shower Monday night I asked for my hot water heater to be turned up ... they did it Thursday (I was checking out on Friday - thanks for nothing...). Oh I could go on but I think you're getting the picture. Nothing awful (irritating but not awful). The rooms were visually attractive, the mattress, sofa and chairs were all very comfy. The pillows were a bit too fluffy and the sheets and bedspread a bit too thin but that's more personal preference. I would rate the cleanliness a 3 out of 5 for inside and outside (again average). The breakfast food was decent and the dinner food sub-par but hey - it's free. The workout room equipment was in excellent shape and of good quality and the workout towels were plentiful & soft. But the workout room floor shakes violently anytime some runs on a machine and the room was too warm. It's those little things that make an average place become a good place. And add in consistent excellent customer service and you've got a five star spot in the making! This site lacks too many of those 'little things' and the C.S. is inconsistent hence my 3 star rating.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Casey W, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

gardenl0ver,
Wow, what a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your stay. This feedback is some of the best we have received in a long time, even though it is not all positive. Your honesty is great and this type of feedback is exactly what our hotel and staff need to take the next step to excellent status. We discuss all of our reviews at our staff meetings on a monthly basis and this will give us some great topics to discuss. We will take full advantage of your feedback and we will become a better hotel. Thank you again for your help and for taking the time to share about your stay.

Casey and the entire Residence Inn Denver Downtown team

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Clean, comfortable, wonderful, helpful staff, good breakfast and great location.
A special shout out to Philip, who has always taken such good care of me in finding the
quiet room and doing everything in his power to make my stays perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sonja K

Sonja K,
It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we are your favorite hotel in Denver. Phillip does a great job and we hear great things about him quite a bit. We are lucky to have him on our team and I will be sure to let him know about your comments and see to it that he is rewarded for his great service. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

If you travel to Denver to see the professional sports teams then this is a great hotel. I have stayed at several of the hotels in the area and have chlosen this one as my "regular" place to stay when I'm in town. It is within walking distance to Sports Authority Field, Coors Field and the Pepsi Center. You can also walk to Elitch Gardens, the aquarium and the 16th street mall. There are also some great restaurants in the area within walking distance. You also have the ability to cook your own meals in the kitchen in your room if you are on a budget. There is a Safeway grocery store in the neighborhood if you need somewhere to get some groceries. Overall, this is a great family hotel. The rooms have been updated and are clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MJ1569
Casey W, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

MJ1569,
Thank you for the GREAT review!!! You are 100% correct that we are a great spot for ant sports fan coming to Denver. We are a short walk from all of the major venues and our complimentary shuttle offers service to all of them. Denver is more than a great sports city, it is a great place to eat too! There are many great restaurants within walking distance of our hotel and several really great breweries.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Fine room and service. But, I lost a keycard there, and called lost and found. They said they'd call me back whether they found it or not, but never did. But otherwise a fine property. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Casey W, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

thewoolleyman,
Thank you for the nice review! We are glad that you had a good stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. I do apologize about the poor communication concerning your lost key card. If you need further assistance with this item please feel free to call the hotel and ask for me personally.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

So well situated. We had a beautiful 2 floor suite which felt like our own apartment. 2 Queens, 3 TVs...perfect for us travelling with one of our sons. The shuttle service makes the hotel an ideal choice. Excellent selection for buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Casey W, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Jude88,
Thank you for the GREAT review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your large suite and that you had enough room for your family! Our hotel has some really great features that help our guests enjoy Denver and the surrounding areas. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Denver.

Casey and the entire Residence Inn Denver Downtown team

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed for Bronco playoff game. Beds have been updated. Fridge in rooms was a pleasant surprise.
We left a coat in room at check out and did not discover it missing until we unpacked at home. We contacted the hotel and discovered they had found it. We returned to Denver for the AFC championship game. We stayed at another place, but were able to drop by and pick up the coat. Staff went out of there way to help us. Also security was heavy after the game and kept things cool and calm. A big thanks to the desk clerk from Monday morning to have time for us at his busy time with check outs,and the housing manager and staff for keeping our coat for us until we could retrieve it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Casey W, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

RGW1425,
Thank you for the nice review!!! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff did a great job in assisting you with your items that were left behind. We enjoy hosting all of the Broncos fans that come from far and wide to enjoy Denver and the Rocky Mountains. We look forward to seeing you for a game next year. Go Broncos!!!!

Thank you again!