“Solid hotel in great downtown location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver
Ranked #20 of 161 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

Cool lobby, cool room decor. Had a few small issues with the hotel: 1) rushing water noise in the wall in my first room was so loud I wouldn't have been able to sleep, so I had to switch to a second room on a higher floor, which was better, but the noise was still pretty audible, 2) bathroom's decor and fixtures didn't seem to match the rest of the hotel's cool, modern vibe (looked more like it belonged in a Marriott), and 3) the workout room was super small (3 people were in there the morning I worked out, and we were on top of each other - and there was no workout mat!).

Even given these things, I'd probably stay there again because it's as good or better than the competitor hotels i've stayed at in this range in downtown Denver.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Worktravelgal
Guest_Services_Mngr, Director of Guest Services at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We apologize for any inconvenience you encountered regarding the noise level in the room and the size of the fitness room. Next time you stay, please check out our new fitness facility that we have just recently finished. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the difference!

We truly appreciate your feedback and hope you will keep us in mind each time you visit Denver.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to review us, and we hope to see you again soon!

Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 16 October 2012

As a rule I'm a huge fan of the Kimton chain, and the Hotel Monaco was no exception. The staff is among the friendliest of any hotel I've stayed at. The food in the attached restaurant was superb - really memorable and interesting, and the decor of my room was quirky and fun.

I particularly liked the goldfish they sent up to spend the trip with me. What a wonderful idea!

I'll note, their valet parking is rather outrageously priced (c'mon Hotel Monaco!). I opted to try out the variety of parking options in the area. A few suggestions:
-Don't park on the street unless you have enough money in the meter to last well into the early morning hours - I got a $35 ticket at 1:45 a.m. after my meter ran out.
-There are several parking garages in the area, but the best option bar none is the little open air lot on the same block as the Kimpton (across the street at the other side of the lot). If you park there after 4:00 p.m. it is only $10 for the night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank BlueBear92

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our "Guppy Love" program. Be sure to remember to request a goldfish anytime you stay with us! We're also glad you were pleased with our "quirky" decor!

We really appreciated the feedback, and please keep us in mind anytime you are visiting Denver!

Hope to see you again soon!

DIrector of Guest Services

Reviewed 10 October 2012

I think it is completely irresponsible to continue to book rooms while the hotel is undergoing construction and not let customers know prior to the booking. This is an otherwise nice hotel, but when I'm paying $300+/night, I don't want to be awakened every morning with hammering. Another disincentive to staying at this hotel is the lack of coffee/tea in the rooms. Who wants to go downstairs in the morning to get their first cup of coffee?

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if the construction is completed prior to booking room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kfheller
Guest_Services_Mngr, Director of Guest Services at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced in regards to the new workout facility we've just recently finished. Next time you stay, make sure to request a coffee maker for your room so you can enjoy a fresh cup of joe as soon as you roll out of bed.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope you'll think of us the next time you're in the Mile High City.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Had a wonderful stay. Staff at hotel are very friendly and helpful. Ask for your goldfish! Work-out room small but adequate. Bikes for loan are available. We felt very welcomed here and would definitely return. Close to Convention Center and 16th st. mall.

Stayed: October 2012

Dear Vauled Guest,

Thanks for the great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed our "Guppy Love" program, so be sure to request a goldfish each and every time you stay with us. Also, we are nearing completion of our brand new fitness facility for you to enjoy during your next visit.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 October 2012

The Hotel Monaco is a fabulous hotel, very close to all the needs of Downtown Denver and just a short stroll to the 16th Street Mall. We began a big road trip in Denver and after a long flight were greeted with warm and welcoming smiles. The staff are all friendly - nothing was too much trouble and always greeted with a friendly smile from receiption, cleaning, restaurant or bellmen, whatever time of day. Our room was excellent and every need is catered for, including free internet - vital when travelling and keeping in touch with family. The hotel made it a great start to the beginning of our road trip and set us up in real style. We used the restaurant for breakfast and wow what a choice - and its all freshly cooked, baked or squeezed - whatever is your preference and again staff were great. Funky decor is great - and adds a very unique touch. Travel date 9th September for 3 nights.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

From all of us here at the Hotel Monaco and Panzano, we thank you for staying with us and for startng your trip off on the right foot. We're very pleased to hear you enjoyed our evening wine reception and our newly renovated rooms.

Make sure to come and see us each and every time you visit the Mile High City!

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I am currently staying at the Monaco hotel. I booked a meditteranean 1 bedroom suite. Upon arriving, there was some construction noise during my first night. It started again the next afternoon and was informed that there was construction going on in the room above me. Management offered to move me 2 floors up to a quiet room. The next day I could hear the same construction noise. I called again to complain and management offered to move me again. I packed up my things to wait for the bellman. A few minutes later management called to tell me they would not be able to move me because "that portion of the hotel is now blocked off" even though it isn't near the construction. Now they say they are unable to change my room. I find it amazing that a high end hotel chain views this as an acceptable service level.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SFtravelers39
Guest_Services_Mngr, Director of Guest Services at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We do apologize for the mishap that occurred during your stay with us, however I'm glad we were able to come to a solution and find the perfect room for you.

We treat every situation as an opportunity to learn from and this was certainly one of those times. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope you'll think of us the next time you're in Denver.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

The Hotel Monaco is one of my favorite places to stay when we take a weekender in Downtown Denver. The hotel is elegant, yet in a down to earth way. I have stayed in both suites and regular rooms and both are well appointed, in a quirky sort of way. They do a great job accommodating pets; although we did not bring one, we saw them in the lobby. There was even a welcome sign for dog guests!

The Monaco is one of the choice hotels for visiting bands and VIPs, so be sure to stargaze both in and out of the lobby. The staff earns its top ratings, from housekeeping to bellmen. The linen is to die for -- at least to sleep in super comfortably.

I cannot recommend this hotel more - it lives up to to the Kimpton name!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mallorynp

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for spending time with us and for taking the time to write about your stay. We love to welcome all pets just as much as we welcome all of our guests. Thanks again for the great feedback about our rooms and our staff too.

Hope to see you back in Denver very soon!