“Nice ambiance and great location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver
Ranked #20 of 161 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were attending an event at the Ritz and wanted to stay close by at a reasonable cost. Hotel Monaco was perfect for us- easy to find, secure parking, and free wifi. We arrived early (2pm) and were able to get our room right away. The staff was very friendly. The decor of the room was nice (loved the modern-traditional combo). The sheets, towels, extra pillows, and robes were all great.

The original double-hung windows are intact and a second pane is on the inside, so the room is warm and quiet. It was nice that the original windows were saved. We also grabbed a late lunch at the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised that the food was so good. The morning coffee in the lobby was better than average too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
deaconm82, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Hi BusyMomof4,

We are so excited that you had a chance to try us out, although your meetings were at the Ritz. We take pride in the historic charm of the Monaco, so thank you for loving it too! We really hope you stay with us again, whenever you are visiting Denver!

Cheers,

Melissa Deacon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I like to spend a long weekend in Denver at least once a month and I decided to forgo my normal hotel accommodations to try Hotel Monaco. I am so happy I did! I had a great time and loved the look and feel of the place. This hotel is pet friendly with absolutely no added charge, they have dog food and treats waiting for them at the hotel entrance. They also provide bikes if you feel like a little impromptu bike tour around the city.

The rooms felt extremely clean and I like the layout, the view was not the best. I overslept one morning because they have completely sun proof curtains. The rooms do not come with a coffee machine, so you will need to ask for one upon arrival. They do have a coffee/tea social in the morning from 6am – 10am. They have a wine social as well in the evening. I believe this is similar to most Kimpton Hotels.

Tips: This place just goes a little above and beyond, I have stayed in many hotels in the Denver area and this will always be my first pic. Remember to ask for the coffee Machine and if you have kiddos or feeling young yourself, ask for your own fishbowl. The location is great, attached to a very good restaurant! 16 st mall is one block away. If you want to watch a game, mma fight, sports of any kind, make sure to try the new Xtreme Action MMA sports bar and grill!! Food was great, prices even better! Plus the atmosphere was just fun and exciting! It is located on the second floor overlooking the 16th st mall!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sha D
Guest_Services_Mngr, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hi Sha D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a great review.

I got chills when I read that we are now your first pic in Denver. How awesome! If you are not already a member of our KIT Loyalty program, I would highly encourage it. You can add to your profile that you would always like a coffee maker and a goldfish whenever you stay with us, or any other Kimpton Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you each month, as your new Denver destination!

Cheers,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have stayed at the Denver Monaco quite a few times. The service is great, people very friendly. Rooms are clean and enchanting. The wine & appetizers served every day in the lobby is fun, you get to meet other guests and sometimes their canine companions. The restaurant just next door, Pandora, is excellent rather for dinner, appetizers and a drink, it all works.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
Guest_Services_Mngr, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Linda M.,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor and for staying with us several times. It is very important to us that we offer you the best experience possible each and every visit. We look forward to your next visit, so we can spoil you with another great experience.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel with friends for a wedding. Lovely, young, fun hotel with great staff and good sized rooms. The location is perfect, just a couple of blocks from the main street with restaurants and shops. Great hotel for a stay in Denver, for personal or business reasons.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LaDini
Guest_Services_Mngr, Assistant Guest Services Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review about your stay with us. We really appreciate your time in doing so!

We are thrilled to hear that you loved the hotel. Our location really is excellent - right downtown and only a block away from 16th Street! Can't beat it!

We hope you'll come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here for a wedding. This was the hotel where the wedding attendees were staying otherwise I would have chosen somewhere else despite the excellent reviews. I was not impressed by the room. It was no different from other decent hotel chains like LaQuinta or Hampton). Dark rug, ordinary bathroom. Beds were okay comfort-wise. My main complaint and an important one to me and I imagine everyone else - there was essentially no place for clothes that didn't hang up! In my room - a regular with 2 Queen beds - there were only 3 drawers about 18 inches wide and 4 inches tall for your clothes - total. The rest of the dresser/cabinet was taken up by a mini-bar and small safe. There was a piece of furniture like a large, square cabinet between the beds where a lamp sat. No drawers in it. It wouldn't even open! (It was nice not to see a Gideon Bible though.) An unbelievable waste of space. I thought it was bizarre. We stayed for 4 nights and had to leave a lot of clothes in our suitcases.
The staff was very nice and accommodating. Just ask if you need anything and they will do their best to help.
Valet parking is $33 per night. To be fair - public parking is pretty expensive too, especially when you figure in the costs of ins and outs. I was charged $1.50 for toll-free calls, although the checkout woman took off those charges without any comment from me. I don't know if this was listed anywhere. It might have been. Still...
The location is good. No coffee maker in the room but I think they'll get you want if you ask. There is free coffee in the mornings in the lobby (a few rolls/croissants or something similar) would be nice. I guess they are steering you toward their restaurant.
They have free wine from 5 - 6 in the afternoon and lots of comfy chairs to sit in and drink it.
The restaurant is very nice. Fancy. Excellent reviews like one you would find for a stand alone upscale restaurant. On the pricey side. We went to Subway and Starbucks (closed Sundays) nearby for our breakfasts to save some money. The mushroom pizza is a good size - probably the best value ($16) and is divine. They have a Brussel Sprouts appetizer which is also worth springing for. Good, spicy Bloody Marys.
I didn't partake in the newly legalized substance, but if you're so inclined, there are shops everywhere. I think there are more of these shops than there are McDonalds and Starbucks combined. FYI - these particular stores are closed on Sundays.
Be sure to sign up for Kimpton Rewards. It's free. You get a $10 bar voucher (they take it off your bill at checkout) and, best of all, it entitles you to free Wifi!
The hotel accepts pets with no fee. That was nice for us who had to leave our dogs behind.
I have friends who have stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Denver and they thought it was a much better place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share you experience about your stay with us. We appreciate hearing both the good and the bad from our guests.

We are sorry to hear you were a bit disappointed with the hotel. We do take your comments and suggestions seriously, and we will use them so that may exceed your expectations should you return. And yes, you are correct about the coffeemakers; we have them available upon request.

We hope you'll give us another try should your travels bring you back to Denver.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Great hotel - lovely ambience, helpful staff, very nicely designed rooms and the best hotel restaurant I've been to in a while.

Someone had recommended the restaurant at the hotel and we were not disappointed. The most fantastic breakfast and lunch, both served with homemade breads and by excellent wait staff.

A really great property if you are looking for something in downtown Denver.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We really appreciate hearing back from our guests!

We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our award-winning restaurant, Panzano. We are so lucky to have such a great dining option right here, and we are glad you think so too!

We hope you'll be back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stay at this hotel with my husband just one night while we are visiting Denver. We loved the city and we decided stay at this hotel. Was the first time in this hotel, and we really loved. The staff, the atmosphere, the decor was so so nice. The room was very clean and comforTable. The room was 100% perfect and we had a nice view of Denver at night. The idea of happy hour in the hotel was great. The fitness room was clean but a little bit hot. I just think the breakfast should be included in the price. About the park at this hotel, there is a man that help park the car and leave the keys on the reception and he is expecting a tip, and when we did the check out , again a other man bring the car, help a little bit with the luggage and he is expecting a tip. I didn't like that. I'm from Portugal, I stay in many hotels, and I don't agree with this services. However I just wanna say that the room was amazing and was a very very nice stay.

Stayed: February 2014
Guest_Services_Mngr, Assistant Guest Services Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review about your stay with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. It also sounds like you were able to partake in our wine hour from 5-6 PM each night. Don't forget to check it out the next time you are with us.

We look forward to having you back again soon!