“Terrific staff, wonderful restaurant, quirky furnishings”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver
Ranked #19 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Hotel Monaco was a good bargain and located close to the sold out conference hotel. The location is central, and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The happy hour attracted an interesting mix of customers who seemed to be enjoying themselves.
I am familiar with Kimpton hotels, but not the Monaco line. That being said, the somewhat scruffy furnishings and cluttered closet (with items to buy) and tv armoire (also with many items to buy) surprised me, and thus it's a step down from the big name luxury hotels. The walls are thin, and if you have neighbors with loud voices you will hear much of their conversation.
The restaurant is amazing, with attentive but not overbearing service and wonderful flavors; I highly suggest dinner if you have the funds.
With the right price i would recommend this place to a friend; at full cost I am not so sure.

2  Thank azrambler

Reviewed 1 November 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Moncao for three nights; if you're familiar with Kimpton Hotels, this a quintessential Kimpton hotel - lobby and rooms nicely appointed, warm, prompt and friendly staff, quality restaurant on premises, very boutique hotel feel. Bed wasn't all that comfortable (which I find a common Kimpton drawback), and the rooms are on the smallish size, but not to the point of discomfort. Better pillows would go a long way to solving the bed issue. No coffeemaker in the room, but there was a small refrigerator. Bathroom is also very clean; marble sink counter, white tiled bath. Aveeda products are the toiletries of choice.

Location is about a 10 minute walk from the convention center; hotel is on Champa St. a couple blocks off of 16th street mall. Seems centrally located, although I don't know Denver that well. The room service is very prompt, and breakfast was good every morning. I did, however, get food poisoning from what I believe was dinner at Panzano, the in-house restaurant. No one else affected, I was the only one in my group who ordered the dish, and every other meal other people ate the same thing I did. In fact, I
was originally slated to stay two nights, but the food poisoning delayed my return by a day - I was in bed from 10a on Tuesday to 7a Wednesday, becoming intimately acquainted with the mini-bar snacks - they were all I could eat. Note the hotel was not going to permit me to extend my stay, but due to persistent efforts from my assistant, I got the reprieve (they would have had to carry me out....).

Wi-fi is free if you join the hotel's frequent guest program; otherwise it is $9.95 per day. There's also cocktails at 5p, which I didn't take advantage of, but is certainly nice. The fitness center is pretty small - a treadmill, two ellipticals, a bike, a few weights, an ab bench are all crammed in there. You do have the option of going down a block to a fitness club and paying $15, but in snowy, 30 degree Farenheit weather, paying 15 bucks to walk a block didn't seem like something I wanted to do.

Overall, a nice hotel, but the small fitness center and not so comfy pillows are blemishes; not sure if the food poisoning was a one off or if this is something to beware.

P.S. sorry for the sideways pix, but computer problems are keeping me from opening up photo program & rotating properly.....

1  Thank TeamJK
Reviewed 23 October 2009

The photos and the high reviews on TripAdvisor convinced us to give this hotel a try. We found a really good rate on the internet and booked it. Our room had a terrible view of the interior of the building - no outside view. We were immediately disappointed because it felt small and cramped. The decor in the hotel and rooms was different from what I am used to -its kind of a carnival style. The one really nice thing about the hotel is that you can get a goldfish in a bowl delivered to your room. I thought that was a really nice touch. The next night we went next door to the Residence Inn and felt much more comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We went there for the first time in 2000 when we were negotiating a new job in Denver. We loved the hotel and 9 years later, we were celebrating our 10th year aniversary and decided to go there again. The stay was fantastic. The hotel clerk upgraded us to a suite, we had a nice wine bottle free as a gift. It was an awesome stay!!! :)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Guest_Services_Mngr, Guest Services Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the service that we provided. At Kimpton we believe in creating an experience that will touch each one of our guests and am glad to hear we were able to share a special moment with you. We welcome you back for your 11th anniversary next year or sooner if permitted.

Reviewed 20 October 2009

I have just returned from my stay at the Hotel Monaco in Denver. The staff were outstanding and very helpful. I brought my dog with me and she enjoyed the dog friendly atmosphere. The 5-6 pm daily wine time was a nice mixing of friendly people of all ages.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I stayed here for the Denver Broncos/Dallas Cowboys game weekend, which happened to be the same week as the National Police Chiefs conference, so lodging options downtown were hard to come buy. Hotel Monaco had rooms at $350, but luckily I pricelined and got in for $175, which ended up being over $200 with tax. Even at that price I felt the hotel was was overpriced. The room, a single queen was quite small, and the tv was really small for a luxury hotel. I was not impressed.

My wife and I stayed at the Residence Inn just up the block over New Years Eve, which I think is a much better property. But, of course it was booked up with the police chief convention.

The hotel however is in a good location, close to 16th street mall and LoDo. That being said, I wouldn't stay at the Monaco again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Nothing special--not good, not bad. In the heart of the city so very well located. Clean, quiet, good for business travel.