“Good potential, but I won't be returning”
Review of Hotel Teatro

Hotel Teatro
Ranked #20 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Toronto
“Good potential, but I won't be returning”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I did enjoy the hospitality from most of the staff at Teatro. The bell captain has a great team of guys that drive you around with their car service and one was execeptionally helpful when he drove me to the Clyfford Stills Museum and gave. I think his name was Dylan. Front desk is a friendly crowd too.

Friendliness is great. Professionalism .. .is questionable since I had an incident.

I believe but I have no proof, that housekeeping took my passport. I did not realize this until I was checking out 2 days later when I was still at the hotel. I came here for work, so i boarded the plane with a passport and remember last seeing it in my purse when I arrived Friday. Went about with work with passport in my purse. Came back to the hotel at night and was in a rush to go watch the Denver nuggets at the Pepsi Centre. I didn't see a safe, and being naive thinking Denver is safe and the hotel is safe. I left my passport in my purse and went to the game with my wallet and my phone so I don't lose drop the passport in the game. I remember that clearly, i did not want to drop my passport at the game. I dashed off and realized by Sunday my passport was gone. no longer in my purse. I used my purse Sat and Sunday but didn't check for my passport until my departure. I believe that housekeeping with turndown service went through my bag and took. Again, I have no proof. I did do my due diligence and i have a friend who called my airline, departure airport to check for a found passport, and i called my car rental company as well.

At the time I informed front desk, i couldn't check out because I don't have a passport to fly with ... well it was their first time experience a guest with such issue. There were 3 of them, they asked each other who might have dealt with this before, nobody. Well, I've been pickpockted before so it's not my first time in this position so I was upset but i knew what it needed to be done. I think it was Philip at the front desk (unless his name is Patrick). He was a sweetheart, he called the local police and asked them what I needed to do and if anybody found a passport. He called his lost and found personnel and housekeeping. He called Denver airport for me to check if someone found my passport there as well. He printed off numbers that I needed for the police station, the embassy (and hours of operation), and etc. He was very calm and collected. While he was making calls for me, I spoke with Julia informing her I will be extending my stay if the room is still available. She said yes, then she asked me if the same rate would be okay. The same rate would be about $260/ night + taxes ... I thought about it for a moment. Thank goodness I wasn't frantic and common sense kicked into play, I told her it's Sunday not Friday & Saturday, aren't the rates less? She got me a more reasonable rate. I will give her credit for doing her sales job, but I travel too much and know better. Please, don't take advantage of your patron when they are in distress! During this time, another patron that left had called in locating a missing ipad charger and a device. No luck. Philip did ask me when i checked in if the person informed me that there is no safe in the room but they keep valuables for their guests at their reception area. NO! That person did not tell me! He apologized on his behalf.

Bell hop was great helping me check with the rental car. Not there.

Monday, before i went to the embassy, informed the front desk personnel (new shift) with my situation and asked him if he could check on housekeeping and see who did the turn down service and ask him/her about my room. He showed empathy yet he didn't get back to me. No message no response when I saw him next time. This is what I mean with professionalism. Lack of it. They are friendly, approachable, I'm sure they are good people, but lack of professionalism. When I returned by noon, i informed them I needed to stay an extra day in the city while the embassy processes for my departure. I went up back to my room, housekeeping started service but nobody was there but the sheets were off the bed as if someone started doing the bed. I figured i needed fresh air and i'd step out for lunch and tidy a bit of my desk since they are about to service the room. I came out and saw a male housekeeping staff, not friendly looking, and i had to wonder if he took my passport since the other housekeeping ladies would be cordial and say hi and morning whenever we crossed paths. This was one was hostile. I should have spoken up. Upon my return at night, guess what? I came back at night to find the berries, bottle of water and yogurt that i left in the fridge was gone! My toothbrush, they threw it out. My Sunday NYTimes and WSJ that I bought were gone. I don't know what else of mine might have been thrown out. Clearly nobody double checked with the house keeping team to inform them that I'm staying for another day? You would think the cleaner who started the job thinking i checked out and then realized I haven't (since the remaining of my things luggage, toiletry bag were there) ... they would have left a note or informed front desk that they threw out some of my things... NOTHING!! I had to call front desk and tell them what's going on so they quickly said they can send up bottles of water and whatever else i needed. I asked for a fruit plate replacement.

I could have been angry at them and asked for more of a compensation and sadly they didn't suggest more to keep this patron who will be returning to this city! I was too exhausted to ask for more of a compensation and I knew I wasn't coming back. Great friendly team, good potential, but this experience has scarred me for life.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank d6lam
TeatroRoomsDirector, Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear d6lam,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Teatro, I appreciate your kind words about our bellmen and front desk staff. Creating a warm and welcoming environment is very important to all of us here, and I am glad that it shows! However, professionalism is something we place a very high value on as well, and it appears we may have fallen short of your expectations.
I am taken aback with your accusation that a member of our housekeeping staff stole your passport out of your purse in your room. As the Director of Rooms for the property and someone who managed our Housekeeping department for two years prior to taking my current position, I can assure you that we have a very trustworthy staff. We have a zero tolerance policy for dishonesty or theft, and hold the safety and security of our guests in the highest regard. Thus, it is surprising that this has come into question. Additionally, I have learned through my years in hospitality management that hiring honest and trustworthy people is the most important step in building a solid team, and we make every effort to practice these core values at Hotel Teatro.
While I do trust every member of our staff, it is hotel policy to conduct an internal investigation that includes a lock interrogation of your room and interviewing everyone who was on duty that night. This investigation has been completed and has yielded nothing that leads me to believe that anyone on our staff is guilty of theft or any wrongdoing. As you stated in your review, there is no evidence indicating that this was theft, and as such the hotel cannot take responsibility for the missing passport.
As I previously mentioned, we expect every member of our team to be friendly and make every guest feel welcome. While I am disappointed that the male staff member you encountered did not appear friendly, that is not a valid or reasonable basis for a claim that he is guilty of theft.
Your review did bring to my attention some shortfalls that we will continue to work on. This is the sort of critical feedback that we welcome from all of our guests and associates, as honest and candid feedback is the best way for us to learn how to better serve our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, and please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to further discuss the content of your review.
Jordan Murphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel! We try to stay at non-chain hotels when traveling, and this was just what we had hoped for. The hotel feels like it was renovated, had a historical feel to it. Everyone was very helpful and friendly, offering advice as to dinner options and even off the beaten path ideas for our trip up to Rocky Mountain National Park. I love to get a locals take on what to see/do. The room itself was not huge, as mentioned in other reviews, but we had not planned to spend much time in the room. The awesome bathroom more than made up for it, and the bed and wonderful feather pillows were extreamly comfortable. Close to everything we wanted to see in Lower Denver, Pearl street, Baseball, many restaurants and bars & the art museum. Would highly suggest!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here for convention. Much better than the large hotels associated with the convention center. Prices were no higher than I could have otherwise arranged via the convention. Bed was super comfortable. Great location. Very pleased with stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jabrd
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Communication from concierge ahead of the curve was impressive; very helpful considering it made me recongize I needed to adjust my stay by a day (and it was no problem, quickly addressed). Pat at the desk was amazing, incredibly helpful and polite; the rest of the staff were great too including the guys out front-not a rude one in the bunch. Loved the bathroom layout, soak tub or rain head shower nice opts. Great location, short walk to Opera House where event was held. I have no doubt where I'll stay when I return to Denver!

Sher P

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Denver
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I'm a Denverite...live 10 minutes away from Hotel Teatro. Why stay there? Found a good deal, I've walked by there numerous times, and wanted to see it.
It has a nice, historic feel, though the hotel is relatively young.
Great access to the DCPA (literally next door) and all the hot spots of LoDo.
We stayed in a standard queen. Comfy enough and loved the shower.
Would have loved a little more 'funky' or 'chic' in the room but it did have a cool digital room key.
The staff was great...extremely courteous and quick to lend a hand, if necessary. Any out-of-towners will have an easier time staying there as the staff is great with directions and even have a car for close travel.
It is a cool hotel and glad we stayed...would love to explore more rooms at some point.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank biztraveler1972
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

The entire room measured 14' x 18' with 50% dedicated to the bathroom, closet and connecting hallway. That left an area for the queen sized bed with a three foot "isle way" on either side and six feet of space at the foot of the bed before hitting the desk and cabinet holding the TV. Additionally, my room was sandwiched between two elevators! ... So one can imagine the downfall there. Not sure why I was assigned this room when others were vacant but that was (I believe) a poor decision by the front desk.

Despite the tiny room and the elevator noise and foot traffic in the hallway, I was impressed with the comfort of the bed, large bath sheets/towels, and amenities that included free transportation within a two mile area (first come, first served). The valet car park was $29 per night.

On a returning trip I will likely stay in a five star hotel that is nearby with quieter and more spacious rooms for a similar price.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
TeatroRoomsDirector, Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear wbladesr,
Thank you for your review! I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience, though I am disappointed that you would prefer to stay somewhere else during your next visit to Denver.
From your description it sounds like you were in one of our smaller room types and I apologize for the inconvenience that caused you. While we are very proud of the rich history of our building, it was not built with a hotel in mind, and so we do have a few rooms that are smaller than what an experience traveler might expect in a hotel of our caliber. The majority of our rooms are more spacious than the room you stayed in and I hope you will consider giving us another chance to show what we at Hotel Teatro are capable of!
When availability allows, we do generally upgrade all of our guests to one of our larger room types, but it sounds like we failed to do so in your case. For that, I sincerely apologize.
If you do choose to give us another chance, please feel free to contact me directly to oversee your reservation so that I may personally select your room.
Jordan Murphy, Rooms Division Manager
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Just home from another weekend visit to this great hotel that is the ideal location when attending events at the Denver Performing Arts Center -- only a few minutes walk away. Service is always excellent, but we were particularly impressed when we received an email from the concierge several weeks before our arrival alerting us to the fact that our stay fell in the middle of 5280 Restaurant Week. He advised us to get restaurant reservations well in advance because this event is so popular -- in fact, such a success that it has been extended to two weeks -- and offered help if we needed it. We were very glad we heeded his advice because virtually all restaurants were totally book if you waited until this weekend to try to get in.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple