“Worth the $$”
Review of Hotel Teatro

Hotel Teatro
Ranked #33 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Booked for a 4 night stay as part of an 18 day trip around Colorado, based on TA advice and a cracking deal through a hotel room website. Stayed in Superior King Size room on 8th floor.
The staff could not be more helpful or polite. I was most impressed with how they went out of their way to help.
Great location - Downtown/LoDo on the door step - as was 16th St.
Went to the Broncos match - far better to walk - across the Uni grounds - just 30 minutes.
The bed was so comfortable - great accomodation.
I would agree with another TA review - the rooms needed far more drawers for clothing - and the towel rails need to be near the sinks in the bathroom.
All in all, a great hotel!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
ReservationsManager, Reservations Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2008

Dear AIB:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed staying with us. We always appreciate feedback from our guests and hope that you will be back to see us soon.

Reservations Manager (Amy)

There are newer reviews for Hotel Teatro

Reviewed 3 October 2008

Stayed just one night at the Teatro. We only live 40 miles away, but had a big dinner in Denver the night before and my husband had to get to the Denver Airport the next morning.

We booked through the hotel's web site and got the cheapest rate, as well as a Senior Citizen discount. This came to $220 before taxes etc. The booking process was not very intuitive, but it got done.

The Teatro is well located in downtown Denver, right next to the theatres and concert halls, and very easy to get to off the highway. We decided to splurge on Valet Parking, although we didn't realise that it was $26 per night. The parking guys were very pleasant, efficient and informative - always a good first impression.

Check in was easy and we asked for a view of the mountains despite it being a very smoggy day. Our room was on the 9th floor and next to the elevator (this did not disturb us). It was very small and reminded me of hotel rooms in London and Paris. The queen size bed was extremely comfortable and the linens of excellent quality. There was a down comforter on the bed (which we did not need), and another one, plus extra pillows, in a cupboard. Bedside lamps were well placed and did their job. There was a clock radio/iPod docking station, but when I tried for local radio stations next morning I couldn't locate them - maybe user error.

Good flat screen TV which I assume had all the usual cable channels etc. Nice built-in desk with modem ports and free wi-fi available. Another good angled light on the desk. The refrigerator could be pre-stocked if you wish, otherwise it is just empty. Iron and full sized board in the closet. Everything was pretty cramped, but thoughtfully laid out and of good quality.

Bathroom a reasonable size, although there was no separate shower stall (the larger rooms did have one). One sink and a good supply of toiletries, including conditioner and lotion. Lots of thick, good sized towels and two towelling robes. The hair dryer was not one of those "we know you are going to steal this so we've stuck it to the wall" contraptions, and the spiffy looking scale appeared to be accurate. Water pressure was good, although both the sink and tub drained very slowly.

We had pre-dinner drinks in the bar from a very interesting wine list. The bar tenders were traditional and efficient, and could talk Rockies and Broncos with the best.

Our only real problem arose when we went down for breakfast next morning. The good side was plenty of copies of the local papers, New York Times and Wall Street Journal available. Bad side was that the only waiter on duty appeared not to understand that people arriving for breakfast expect to be given the menu and offered coffee pretty promptly. In addition his job description obviously didn't include saying "Good morning" to the guests.

When my husband complained to the Front Desk he was told, with apologies, that both hotel restaurants are run by third parties. Then the chap who was responsible for the restaurant arrived, and got going doing the waiter's job (and very well too). He was extremely apologetic and insisted that our breakfast was complimentary. He handled the problem very well and I have no doubt will be on top of things in the future.

The fine dining alternative at the Teatro is "Kevin Taylor's", run by the eponymous chef, and, from looking at the menu, I was sorry we were not able to dine there the night before.

Of course our final bill was around $300, including tax, parking and our bar drinks. Despite the small room and our breakfast experience, I think this was well worth it because of the general high standard of service, plus the high quality of the rooms and public areas. We will return.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I stayed at the Teatro for three nights in connection with a business meeting. The staff went out of their way to provide service, but who designed the rooms? The owners should get their money back. The two biggest problems in the rooms were the lack of storage space and poor lighting. There were no drawers! What were they thinking? I don't mind living out of a suitcase for one night, but if I'm somewhere for two or more nights I want to put my things in clothing drawers so as to be organized and keep my things less wrinkled. Even the $70 Days Inn rooms I've stayed in had drawers, for heaven's sake. The closet was very narrow and just enough room to hang my things--i.e., no room for anyone else's things if someone else had come with me. There was, however, a long, marble-covered countertop which seemed to serve no purpose, as the desk was plenty big enough for papers or working and places to put things. I suggest taking out the useless countertop and putting in drawers, a bigger closet, and a refrigerator. The coffee pot was nice, but I'm a tea drinker and won't drink tea made in a coffee pot because it will always have a coffee flavor. And the hot water container provided us during our meeting had had coffee in it and gave the tea the coffee flavor that ruins the tea. And there was no overhead lighting! After sunset the room was so dim, with all three lights on, I couldn't do anything but watch television. I really wanted to read in bed, but the bedside table lamp was totally inadequate. Even placing the lamp on the two phone books to try to raise it did not help. The clock was totally useless because it was hidden behind the bed because the nightstands were at least a foot lower than the top of the mattress. I would suggest putting in overhead lighting over the bed and over the desk area which has only a desk lamp focusing on one-third of that counter area. I would suggest also putting in nightstands that are the same height as the mattress top so that things needed there are reachable. I would suggest also putting the toilet paper where it is easy to reach--which is NOT on the back wall. It should have been put on the wall next to the toilet or on a freestanding paper holder if a side wall isn't close by. A towel bar near the sink and another near the shower would make towels and washcloths available when needed. A small table near the shower to hold clothes would be a nice touch. On the plus side, the colors were sophisticated, and fabrics and finishes were beautiful. The bedding was luxurious, and temperature control was very good--very important for good sleep and rest. But for $235/night, I would have expected more thoughtful design in the rooms. (By contrast, I had just come from a 3-day stay in Vail at a beautiful new hotel where I paid $159/night and got drawers, a large closet, a safe, a refrigerator, a teapot along with the coffeepot, ceiling lights over the bed area, heat lamp and vent in the bathroom, a tub, a beautiful view, and a free [cold] breakfast buffet.)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
ReservationsManager, Reservations Manager at Hotel Teatro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2008

Dear spirq:

Thank you for taking the time to relay your experience at Hotel Teatro. We appreciate getting feedback from our guests. We received wonderful comments from your group contact and are pleased that you had a successful event.

I understand how important it is when traveling for multiple days to have an abundant amount of storage space. Your reservation was made with a group block for your stay with us. The rooms that were contracted were our Superior Rooms and these rooms do have a limited amount of storage. We have rooms that are more spacious and provide more storage for your belongings. Unfortunately the design of your particular room reserved with your group does not offer an abundance of storage for a multiple night stay. To keep with the historical nature of the building our rooms are unique and some provide more living space than others. We appreciate your comment about the bed side tables. We recently completed our renovation and we understand that the bedside tables are a bit low in comparison to our new pillow top mattresses and are working on a solution.

We are eager to look into various ways to implement a separate way to brew tea. I would be happy to discuss different methods that would better accommodate your needs at akish@hotelteatro.com.

Thank you for your interest in the Hotel Teatro!
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reservations Manager (Amy)

Reviewed 3 September 2008

Just the BEST service ever. Stay for a convention and couldnt' get into the convention hotel and am sooo glad!!! The Teatro was the best service I have ever had

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Staying here for a convention was the best idea my company had. Teatro was amazing from the time you walk up and are greeted by the bellmen to the nighlty turn down service. The staff was amazing, I had forgtten a lint roller so I called the front desk to see if they could tell me the closest store to get one. They told me they would send one right up. Turns out they had sent one of the bellmen down to 7-11 to pick one up for me. The rooms were very nice with a huge bathroom and a seperate walk in shower. Only down side is there is construction directly accross the street and they start fairly early in the morning. I will stay here every opportunity I get when traveling to Denver. Also the meals at the Side Bar resturant were incredible.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Wow ! We stay at many hotels but this was by far the best. I was very impressed. We are business people but this trip was personal. Yes it is pricey but then again so is the Hyatt which is blocks away and all the others around. I never opened one door myself, valet parking and the bell hops were awesome on their reco's. The rooms are absolutely beautiful. They were very clean as well. Tvs in the bathrooms great idea while I watched and took a shower in the glass shower with a shower head on the ceiling as well as a wall sprayer. Quality fixtures (we own a HVAC and plumbing company) and all. The marble is beautiful.
The bed was a bit small but very comfortable with two huge comforters. They provide great bath robes and flat screen tvs. The view was terrible but not their fault they are building a 48 story Double tree hotel across the street.
The location is wonderful. The night life is amazing but you have to have it in you as it is wild just up the road. Too much to drink no problem take a ride on the shuttle bike rides to get you back safely. Thanks Hotel Teatro we will be back often!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerseypeople80831
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We spent 4 nights at The Teatro, booked it through Perfect Escapes, comp upgrade, welcome gift, early check in late check out. First impressions nice hotel, when we where checking in I asked for upgrade the girl got all flustered and said we already had a superior queen. I said we could have a complimentary upgrade and could we have a corner room as I had heard they were really nice. She said they were the best but also more expensive. After disappearing into the back a guy came out repeated all of the above to him then he disappears, think the boss came out then, apologised for the delay and all the "confusion" checked us into a "king" room was lovely, view rubbish. We asked for an exchange and was told because of work across the road rooms with views were limited... Bed was fabulous, bathroom lovely shower and bath ( separate ) great.
Concierge Carolyn lovely very helpful. Bell boys brilliant. Paul Adam, Wes and Brad. Shuttled us around to quite a few places full of information, very friendly. Turndown service each night a nice touch. Apart from the last night which turned out to be the most expensive didn't get turndown and didn't get our 8am alarm call we got the follow up at 8.15. We checked out and I remarked to the staff about the turndown ( or lack of it ) and the missed alarmcall. the manager Mark came out very apologetic said if we where in Denver again he would personally deal with our requests. Overall it is a very nice hotel, housekeeping spot on. Area is really good Larimer Square a couple of small blocks away , 16th street mall just up the road. All in all if you can get a good price stay there..........

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple