“Small smelly room and awful breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Denver Airport
Ranked #82 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was our least favorite stay in the 4 hotels we visited while traveling through Colorado. When we first arrived at our room the first thing we noticed was the completely overpowering smell of some sort of lemon cleaning solution. The smell was so intense that both my husband and I got so nauseous we had to leave the room after attempting to air it out by opening the window the approximately 3 inches they allow and by fanning the door back and forth. Before we left the room to escape to the restaurant at the neighboring Holiday Inn we noticed there was no fridge in the room. No fridge! Maybe I am spoiled but every other hotel we had stayed in had a fridge and a microwave. The bed was comfortable enough. We woke up early and went to the complimentary buffet which was just dreadful! Everyone was complaining about the quality of the food. It was pretty bad. All and all I would never stay at a Holiday Inn Express again unless it was my only option.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Jessie K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the scent of cleaning products prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Near Denver Airport, very convenient. Check-in was quick and efficient. The room was clean, generally well equipped. The mattress was very comfortable. The sheets were clean and soft but very thin. They definitely need new sheets (400 thread count anyone?). Breakfast was basic but filling. We will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovethesnow11
Reviewed 27 July 2014

got the shuttle from airport and had to wait for a while in the hot bus station but the helpful driver helped us with where we where going and dropped us off at the door. the room was clean and very large with everything you could want and need with a fridge and bathroom toiletries. the room was large enough even to have a sofa in.
the beds where very comfortable and large which helped with the jet lag.
breakfast was ok, didn't like the paper plates but this seems to be the normal thing in America.
very close to the airport and if I come again would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

friendly staff very clean pool/hottub open 24hrs decent exercize equipment
beds were comfortable shower hot with pressure
breakfast was very tasty for an airport hotel

only downer was sister hotels restaurant 20 min wait and we counted seven empty tables?

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was really impressed with this room. As a frequent traveler, it had everything just perfect. High ceilings, comfortable bed with high grade bedding, Big flat screen with HDMI inputs. Body works products in the granite topped bathroom. Plenty of towels. It really felt, and looked like a very lux bedroom in a new home. Very clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Heidi W
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a layover in Denver and the flight was canceled/delayed so I ended up having to stay overnight. There is some issue in the contact number of the Holiday Inn property and what yelp provides. In any case, the front desk was friendly and even gave me bathroom supplies. However, she did not greet me as an IHG member. I don't care about it but it was a question in the survey so I thought I'd mention it. The place did not smell of smoke at all. The room that I had was clean and felt very comfortable. They even had a hair dryer in the bathroom. Some places you have to either request for one or bring your own. The bed was excellent and I had no problems falling asleep. I prefer my pillows to be on the stiffer side so their pillows didn't work as well for me but at least I did not get any neck tenderness in the morning.

What I didn't like was the shower head. It was loose and I couldn't adjust it to my liking. Another thing was the internet. It kept kicking me off and even when I was on, websites loaded very slowly. I could barely open gmail! For the night that I was there, the wireless internet was not usable.

There was quite a bit of variety for breakfast and luckily they had the cinnamon rolls out even at 5am!! There was no other hot foods around but I was able to get a cup of yogurt on the go.

I would not mind coming here again at a discounted rate. Regular price for this place is not worth it.

One interesting thing to point out is that the Holiday Inn is located on the front property and the Express in the back. Weird to have them so close to each other.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from overseas. I just don;t know what is wrong with the front desk appreciation of the Platinum IHG members. And by the way, I am never asking for anything special but simple "thank you for being a platinum member", something that I was under impression should be part of the welcome to the hotel. Another thing is, the two young people that were at the front desk were absolutely great otherwise. No problem whatsoever. Great personalities, service and smiles, but like I said before, these little things, even me asking for a welcome package....
And another thing, please place the small refrigerators in all rooms. The furniture under the TVs have space for it.
Breakfast good as always as it is an "express" breakfast. Very nice, clean and great service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear polart68,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are very glad that you found the hotel clean and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. Conversely, I am sorry to read that your Platinum status was not recognized by the staff. I understand how this may have left you frustrated and I can assure you this experience is not representative of the service we expect to provide.

We appreciate all your feedback as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. Your comments have been shared with the staff and we’re confident that appropriate adjustments will be made in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Kind Regards,