“Fantastic modern, independent, community bookshop in an historic 1880's building filled with books, coffee & good cheer!”

Tattered Cover Bookstore
Ranked #2 of 73 Shopping in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: A locally owned bookstore and a Colorado landmark, the Tattered Cover, with three unique locations, offers personal service, an extraordinary selection, coffee shops, extensive newsstands, and author appearances nearly every day. With books, gift cards, games, greeting cards, calendars, literary curious, t-shirts, book bags, and more, the Tattered Cover is a bookstore and much more!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We happened up on the Tattered Cover book store when my husband went to see if Union Station was yet re-opened after its renovations. It wasn’t, but I was glad that it was steps away from this lovely bookstore in the LoDo area!

The building itself is historic, having been the thriving Morey Mercantile building from 1884 to the early 1950’s. Thankfully, the building was saved from decline in 1990 by Joyce Meskis who purchased it and lovingly transformed it into the current book store.

The floor space is huge – ample room for so many books on every topic and genre! Easy to lose someone in here! Largest card and stationery section ever seen in a bookstore! I was in paper heaven!

Nice touch with the café - makes you want to read and linger for hours! A lovely relaxing place indeed! I spent so much time on the ground floor, I never made it upstairs!

If we visit Denver again, we could easily dedicate a morning to visiting the bookstore to browse, read and have a coffee! Lovely ambience and you really get the sense of the historic nature of the building on the inside as well!

All reviews
"book signing"
"independent book"
"children's books"
in 5 reviews
"great selection of books"
"travel section"
"few hours"
"author"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

What a trip to a local book store should be. Though all the stores are new - they feel like the 40s. I choose to pay a little extra for a book just to keep the experience alive. Very knowledgeable employees are ready to help!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was a gem in the visit to the big city. I loved the way the store just oozed charm and felt so welcoming. The idea that some place could compete with the "big name" stores is very much what gives this place its charm. From the moment I walked in, I felt as if I was at home. The seating was cozy and welcoming and the different people made it feel more like a library than a store. So welcoming and so spacious.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Decided to stop in during walk just out of curiosity. This bookstore has a lot of historical character. It is great for exploring, browsing and reading. One of the staff was binding a book and took time to explain and share the process. It was near closing, but the staff was patient and did not rush me. Simply AWESOME.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I miss bookstores. While I am sure I have had a hand in their general demise, between online purchases and my Kindle, there is something about an actual bookstore, and being able to hold books, open them, feel their weight, find things I did not know about. If I lived in Denver, I would make regular pilgrimages to this wonderful store. (I was at the one on Colfax.) People were friendly, but not pushy. I felt very welcome just to browse to my heart's content. The coffee shop is also very nice and offers room to sit and admire your purchases. With so many independent bookstores disappearing, this is truly a treasure.