“What a bargain...free”

and up
Private Denver City Overview Tour
Ranked #11 of 259 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: A key feature in the Denver skyline because of its gold bell-shaped dome, the Capitol Building, fittingly in the Mile High City, has a point located at exactly 5,280 feet above sea level. Free tours are available for visitors.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We decided to take the state capitol free tour and are we glad we did. They were working on the dome, but the guide was so great and full of facts and figures, we hardly missed not seeing the dome in its full splendor. We were very impressed by the story of the rose colored marble and of the state history memorobelia. You could see it was a working building and its security was hidden....you didn't feel like you were in an I-spy movie with metal detectors etc. Colorado you can be proud of your state and of this building. It reflects your pioneering spirit and the spirit we as Americans are so proud of.
And to think it is for free

Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was in Denver for business, but I had about half a day to sight see before my flight left, and I am glad I chose the State Capitol building because it was absolutely beautiful. First of all, I really liked that they give free tours approximately every hour, and that the tour guides are actually so knowledgeable. Our guide was Abby, and she was super nice, and as I previously said very knowledgeable about all of our questions.

As for the building itself, it's primarily made from materials that come from Colorado which I thought was pretty neat. The only sucky thing is that the dome is going through restoration at this point so you can see a very limited area of the dome, and you cannot go the outside balconies that they have until August 1 of 2014 when the work is supposed to be completed. I was sort of bummed, but I did appreciate that due to the construction work being done, Gabby explained the gilding process that the dome goes through, how long it goes through, and how often it needs to be done. I also took a self-guided tour of the Attic which has a little museum about the history of the Capitol Building.

Lastly, if you can wait until after August of 2014 to view this building, please do so; however, if you're there beforehand, please go because it's still a very nice place to see. If I'm ever in the Denver area again, I'll definitely go back because I want to see how lovely the dome looks after it's fully restored.

** Also, this building is close to the 16th Street Mall which was nice and convenient for me"

3  Thank Oompa03
Reviewed 22 January 2014

If you are in town, stop by. The atrium is pretty cool and it is very historical inside. But if you can, wait until they are finished repairing the dome! That's a really fun tour! Getting up there is pretty cool. It also looks nicer from the outside.

Anyway, the tours are great. Yes, there are homeless folks in the park... but it's not that bad!!

1  Thank The_Haykins
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The Colorado State Capitol is not especially distinguished, but it's worth a visit. It's a beautiful building on pretty limited grounds. I very much enjoyed the free tour led by a very knowledgeable guide, Rose. There's an interesting museum with information about the history of the building tucked between the third floor and the dome.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I think I may have hit this capitol at the wrong time - the dome is currently covered as it is undergoing renovations. It made taking decent photos a bit of a challenge. And, yes, there are some homeless folks hanging around the grounds. Nonetheless, I had a fantastic tour here. They're given on the hour and I was lucky enough to have a one-on-one with a very informative guide. And this is a lovely capitol building with two very impressive legislative chambers, along with some rose onyx that can pretty much only be found here. I even found out about some of the hijinks that have gone on there over the years - how fun! There is a parking lot on the East side of the building. It's seven bucks for the day and the spaces are awfully narrow, but this is a major metropolitan area, so it's kind of to be expected. I think it might be best, if you have the option, to wait until the renovations are through. At that point, this will indeed be a sight to see!