“Capitol Building”

and up
Denver Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Ranked #11 of 260 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: A key feature in the Denver skyline because of its gold bell-shaped dome, the Capitol Building, fittingly in the Mile High City, has a point located at exactly 5,280 feet above sea level. Free tours are available for visitors.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I only got to see the outside grounds of the Colorado Capitol. There was a parade going on when I went. It looked like renovations were underway, so I would like to go back when their work is finished.

There were a few markers talking about the history of Colorado, but not as many as other capitol buildings that I've been to. This could change since I didn't go inside, but I would like to add to this.

Pros:
-Renovations underway
-Great pictures to be taken

Cons:
-Pay to park
-Not allowed to go inside

I will have to go back and check out the inside of the Capitol.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"walk around"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This Capitol building is beautiful, inside and out and is in very good condition. I actually met the governor on the front steps while I was taking a picture of the "one mile above sea level" markers! Tours are free. Unfortunately, the dome and chambers are under construction until December (?) so there were a few sections that I couldn't see. This building is not air-conditioned but stays fairly cool. Be sure to visit the small museum on the fourth floor (not handicapped accessible).

Reviewed 5 July 2014

It is enough to view the Capitol from the outside. After searching for a visitor entrance and making my way inside, there isn't much to see beyond a staircase, a few murals, and the inside if the dome. Unlike other Capitol buildings I've visited, there are no displays from which one can learn about the state.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We decided to visit the state capital on our way out of Denver. Our car was packed with all our luggage and there is just street parking so we did not take the inside tour and just walked around the building. The grounds were pretty. The view from the west side towards the mountains was also very pretty. My kids, ages 4 and 7, were mostly happy to sit on the 15th step exactly one mile above sea level.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wife and I went on the free guided tour. The history of the capitol is interesting, and there's a lot of neat art and stained glass. Unfortunately, there's a lot of construction going on, so a number of the areas were closed to the public. Surprisingly enough, they don't have air conditioning either, which made the tour fairly uncomfortable the higher we went. While the tour guide was sweet and knowledgeable, she wasn't very eloquent, which was at times distracting.