“The Maya show was spectacular”

Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Book In Advance
More Info
US$32.49*
and up
Mile High Culture Pass
Ranked #9 of 266 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is the Rocky Mountain region’s leading resource for informal science education. A variety of exhibitions, programs, and activities help Museum visitors experience the natural wonders of Colorado, Earth, and the universe.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Towering Maya monuments to small gems once set in Maya teeth, the exhibit was fascinating. Don't miss it.

1  Thank Overlooker
Write a ReviewReviews (3,452)
All reviews
in 60 reviews
"special exhibit"
in 83 reviews

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I spent a couple of hours exploring. I went straight for the gems with a highlight of placing my hands (this is allowed) on a 4 BILLION year old rock. I felt the vibe. My husband wanted to see the dinosaurs. They have some great (and I do mean great) examples. We ended up visiting the mummies. Take the time to watch the short film on how they examine mummies these days. Very interesting. My only disappointment was the silly cartoony film that took the place of a planetarium show. Go back to the basics. The cosmos doesn't need theatrical interpretations or antics to make it fascinating.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Spacious environment. Something for the entire family. Plenty of seating available and easily accessible. Interactive for all ages. Well worth the modest entrance fee. Haven't been there yet? Why wait? Go before the Mayan exhibit leaves. Thank you Denver for providing such an intellectual and visually stimulating experience!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is one of my favorite museums in Denver. It is a fantastic museum for anyone living in Denver or just passing through. The museum houses a variety of exhibitions, programs, and activities educating visitors about the natural history of Colorado, Earth, and the universe. The exhibitions that pass through every year are fascinating. I took my parents to see the Mayan exhibit over the weekend. Despite the crowds at the ticket office, the museum has timed entries to the exhibits to avoid overcrowding and allowing for a pleasant experience. The museum has an IMAX theater as well as a Planetarium. I have viewed shows in both theaters and enjoyed them all. Visitors can treat themselves to a souvenir at the museum shop and stop for a bite to eat in the T-Rex cafe. The museum is open 7 days a week year-round, with the exception of Christmas. Museum hours are 9 am - 5 pm. Ticket prices for an adult visitor are $13 with additional fees for traveling exhibits, IMAX shows, and the planetarium.

The only drawback to this museum is the fact that some of the permanent exhibits appear a little outdated.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I grew up going to this museum, and I still love visiting. I brought my husband, who grew up out of state, and he enjoyed the visit. However, when I took him to the hall of life exhibit, it was disappointing to see that about half the stations were out of order. All the other exhibits were fine, but since that one is more interactive, I was sad that we couldn't do much in it. I hope they get it back in working order (if they haven't already!) Hopefully next time we go, it won't be a on a crowded free day, and we can also afford to go to the planetarium or IMAX (or both!), since they are both well worth visiting.