“Start with a Tour”

US$358.80*
Private Denver City Overview Tour
Ranked #6 of 257 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Known for its wide range of Native American art, this museum also contains the only major Asian art collection in the Rocky Mountains.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I started with a highlights tour at 11 am. The guide took us to each floor of the museum in the Hamilton addition and the old part showing us a couple pieces from each and encouraging us to come back to the areas we found most interesting. This was a perfect way to enjoy the museum and acclimate yourself to the exhibits.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Not that I've been to many art museums, but this one is huge and there's always something new to see every month! Great for western art. I usually go on the 1st Saturday of the month as it's the free day that is sponsored by Target (yea Target!), so I haven't seen the changing special exhibits they have. I've gone about 6 times and still didn't really get to see everything because there are special changing exhibits that are free to the general admissions. They have kids areas where you can play or create your own art. You can learn about how artwork is restored as well. Sometimes they have concerts or collaborate with other local and non-local museums (e.g. the last month I was there they had a special visiting exhibit from the Buffalo Albright-Knox). There is a restaurant on site. They have free wheelchairs; lockers are available as they have bag size restrictions.

It's entirely too big to see all in one day in my opinion (though I read slowly), but it is in a good location surrounded by other Denver site-seeing spots. The Central Library across the way also has rolling art exhibits on the 5th & 7th floors and the CO state capitol is worth their free tour, not to mention the shopping on the 16th St. Mall. with it's free trolly ride.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I went about 1.5 hour before closing so was in a hurry to see everything! There's a lot to see and it's all very interesting and beautiful! I do recommend for everyone visiting Denver to stop there and check it out!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I spent not enough time in the museum. Was quite pleased to see the array of Asian art.....was not expecting that.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

First off, I am not an art museum person, much prefer science and history museums, so I wasn't sure how I would like this museum. I was pleasantly surprised about how much I enjoyed it. I didn't care for the Pop Art exhibit or the works of Daniel Sprick (I really don't care for modern art or for someone whom seem to have an obsession with the areola). That aside, some of the other exhibits were wonderful. I could have spent hours looking at the artifacts from different civilizations in the Pre-Columbian exhibit. I also enjoyed the Asian Art, the American Indian Art and the Japanese Block printing art exhibits. Due to time restraints I was not able to visit all of the different exhibits or floors of the two buildings. Overall I would highly recommend this museum, even to people who don't classify themselves as being artsy.

Been to Denver Art Museum? Share your experiences!