“Sassy suds in a sterile setting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wynkoop

and up
Historical Lower Downtown Denver Beer Tour
Ranked #77 of 251 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Denver's first brew pub.
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Sassy suds in a sterile setting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had the pleasure to visit a handful of the dozens of breweries the great city of Denver had to offer. So many amazing places, and Wynkoop, one of the oldest and most respected, was up on the list. Just around the block from our Oxford hotel, it's in a super "touristy" area, which to an East Villager is a bit of a turn-off, but I never turn my back on quality brew, and I'm glad I didn't. While the "brewery" itself looks like it could have been a Bubba-Gump restaurant (but not in a bad way?) the beer was delicious. They have it down to a science, and even their more exotic breeds, like their jalapeño ale was amazingly drinkable. Staff was super nice, as were the other tourists at the bar, so go for the beer, and turn an eye to the over commercialization, and you should be having a fantastic time.

If you like to read more bout Wynkoop and some of the other breweries I visited (for better or worse… you know who you are) check out this post: http://cineclast.com/2014/06/29/denver

Rs

Visited May 2014

Ocala, Florida
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A lot more than just good brew.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

If your looking for the best of both worlds (beer and food) don't leave Denver without a visit to Wynkoop's. We sat at the bar and each had a sampler of three of their brews. We like all that we sampled. But the treat was the food that accompanied our beer. I had their green chili, chili. A vegetarian dish (I am a long way from a vegetarian), that was fantastic. One thing I love about this part of the country is the green chili dishes that prevail here. The wife had a fantastic fried pork belly sandwich.

Visited April 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great beer tasters, wonderful ambiance and excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I were staying in Denver, and decided to try the Wynkoop Brewing Company. How fun! We tasted several of their beers for a very low price, visited with each other and the people around us, and just had fun. The bartenders put up with all of our questions very nicely. This is definitely one worth returning for!

Visited November 2013
Austin, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great place, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We went here on Labor Day for lunch. There was a Rockies game starting about the time we got there, but once we found parking ($10 in a public garage) the rest was great. I doubt parking would be a problem other than during the ballgames.
Overall, the food was good. They were out of the first 3 dishes we tried to order, but settled on FishnChips, Curry Chicken and a BLT. The curry was flavorful, but not hot, according to my heat-loving hubby. The bread was a little tough/old(?) on my brother's BLT. The FishnChips were great. I had to order a fresh batch of tartar sauce though, since what the waitress served me was, uh, discolored I guess would describe it.
I'm not a beer drinker, but my brother and hubby liked the Railyard and Chile beer/ales and said they would get those again next time.
The place is in an historic building and it was neat to admire the architecture while we waited for our food. It's a place for all ages - there were families with kiddos, lovey-dovey couples, groups of guys, groups of gals, all sorts of groups. Every table seemed to be having a great time.
It was enjoyable at our table too. Not too loud to carry on a conversation, which is nice over a meal. I use a cane to get around and understood there is no elevator to get to the bathrooms which are not on the ground level. That was the main drawback for me.

Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Brewpub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

If you like brewpubs go here. Whatever beer you decide on having will be good, my favorites were Patty's Chile beer and Belgorado. I would recommend getting the tasting size for about $2 and try a bunch. Upstairs there are pool tables, darts, shuffleboard, and foosball. Be careful about the parking, there is an overnight street parking rate after 10pm. I learned the hard way getting a $25 ticket.

Visited May 2013