“Great and Convenient entry to Denver”
Review of The Cambridge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Cambridge
Denver, Colorado
“Great and Convenient entry to Denver”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had to move from Los Angeles to Denver within a week for a new job. It was very expensive to find a place in the heart of the city and I wasn't ready to make a decision without first getting a feel for the neighborhood.

Not only does the Cambridge have a lot of history the location is great. It is right between uptown and cap hill. The management is dependable and very helpful, especially Susie.

Although, the room that I rented wasn't recently updated it was comfortable enough for me to stay for 6 months. Also, you're not going to really an newly renovated place in the neighborhood without paying at least 1,100. Everything is included here.

It is worth it, if you are going to be working a lot and love to be in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Michael S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Anon
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed for a number of weeks and the only thing going for this place is the location.

The customer service is awful. The stale air is unbearable. The lack of privacy is illegal.

Then The Cambridge refused to refund my deposit. They wrote:

"Subject: RE: Refundable deposit for stay at The Cambridge - Denver, CO

Dear _______

Administration fees, when reasonable, are allowed in Court. You would be
wise to reread your lease but if you feel you need to take legal action, go
ahead and we will vigorously defend.

Roger Good. CPA, RPA"

Don't be convinced by this gentlemen's chatty nature on your first day, he will eventually take your deposit and refuse to return it.

Further to that they seal the windows for five months of the year to keep in the warmth however in these small pokey apartments you occasionally need to crack a window for air. They will insist that you "broke the window seals" and will charge you for it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Anon A
Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I feel obligated to share my experience with the manager, Susan, during a phone call regarding reservations for my stay in Denver. When she answered the phone, she didn't say "Hello, thank you for calling The Cambridge, how can I help you?" or anything remotely helpful, but rather started to berate me verbally about how it was 6:30am in Denver, while trying to make me, a customer, feel ashamed that I had called so early. She insisted on knowing my current location and time zone, which I felt was completely irrelevant. (And yes, Susan, I was calling from a different time zone.)

When I was finally able to explain to her that I was simply trying to reserve a room, she told me that there would be nothing available for months. At no point did she make any attempt to apologize or be helpful and accommodating.

Needless to say, I will NEVER be staying at The Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Zak H
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 October 2012

TERRIBLE. These are the problems I experienced with the Cambridge:

1. Unwillingness to reasonably refund the $1000 security deposit. After leaving the Cambridge, I was informed that I had taken a bath towel, washcloth, and clock radio. All I could find was the washcloth, but stated that I would happily buy them a new clock radio and reimburse them for the value of the washcloth and towel. The property manager initially assessed a $215 penalty for these three items. After I expressed displeasure at such an extreme fee, to "show grace" (his words) he agreed to reduce the charge to $160. Rather than fight this ridiculous charge, I just accepted the fee. The next day I notice the towel and washcloth on sale at Macy's for a total of $12. The clock radio was probably also about a $12 item.

2. UNSAFE! The building is located a half block north of a stretch of Colfax Avenue that is populated with hookers and drug dealers. Homeless people often hang out by the back door of the building, which is situated in an alley that is not easily viewable to the public. I was sometimes nervous for my safety going in that door at night.

3. NO PARKING! All the parking in the area is metered, so you will have to rent a monthly spot at one of the lots in the area. That added another $150/month to my rent.

4. SLOW INTERNET. Like really slow. I tried to Skype with friends, but gave up. And the server randomly kicks you off and makes you re-enter your password, which makes it unreliable for doing business at home.

5. DINGY AND POORLY EQUIPPED. The common areas are dingy and poorly maintained, particularly laundry room. Only 2 driers, one of which ate all my quarters but only worked for 5 minutes. And despite the fact that I rented the hyped "executive studio" that was equipped with a supposedly remodeled kitchen, that kitchen failed to have a single drinking glass. And the bathroom didn't have a single hook or rod to hang a towel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank TimMcDev
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed at The Cambridge for a weekend. The apartment was clean, comfy, and the location just couldn't be beat. We came to Denver for a concert being held at The Paramount Theater. We walked to the concert, walked to LoDo, walked to the Molly Brown Museum, walked to The Brown Palace. We never had to take a cab anywhere because we were in the middle of everything. Suzie, the on-site manager, went out of her way to make sure our visit to Denver was a great one. And, it was! We're hoping to return to Denver soon, and we'll definitely stay at The Cambridge.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed for two months at The Cambridge.It was a great choice within walking distance to museums, theaters, 16th Street Mall, RTD bus station. The apartment was clean, very quiet, safe and well appointed. Variety of grocery stores and restaurants in the neighborhood.
Suzie, the on-site manager, is very helpful and went out of her way to make my stay pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms in 2nd floor offer good view