“Amazing Views,”

and up
Scenic Mt. Evans Tour
Ranked #1 of 279 things to do in Denver
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First, if you are from Florida and over 50 like me make sure you are in shape, like an Olympian. Even when we drove most of the way up, the little hiking we did was very strenuous to me. My son and his dogs were fine, so if you are young and fit you might be fine. But it was all worth it. we hoped to see some mountain sheep but I believe we were a bit early for them. the views are amazing, it was a bit chilly but not too bad. we saw some ice formations close to the peak. I want to get back there next year for fall. By the way, if you have to pick between pikes peak and Mt. Evans is a no brainier, go Evans. I did visit both and will not be going back to pikes peak.

1  Thank hector v
Write a ReviewReviews (2,251)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"drink lots of water"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful! Come with jacket or other warm gear, it is VERY windy and cold. Drive with care, the road is very steep and winds back and forth.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited weekend of June 22nd. Its about an hour and half drive from Denver. The first stop we made before reaching Mt Evans is the Echo Lake Lodge. I was told this is the only gift shop and restaurant before reaching the top of Mt Evans. This was a lifesaver for my wife since she didn't pack a thicker jacket and ended up buying one there. Immediately from Echo Lake Lodge is the entrance to the Mt Evans park which cost us $15. From there we stopped at Mt Goliath Nature Center which shows information on the plants and wildlife at Mt Evans area. Then we decided to drive to Summit Lake for the intention of hiking the 2.5 mile trail to the top of Mt Evans. The drive was harrowing but just go slow if you need to. My hands really started gripping the wheel when there were large trucks coming from the other side and they hugged the median which forced you to go further to the right and closer to the edge! After making it to Summit Lake, we checked out the view which was beautiful, and started walking the trail. To tell you the truth, we barely went a 1/4 mile before we decided to walk back because we both were not used to the altitude and my wife started getting nauseated. So we then decided to drive the rest of the way to the summit, and the roads were even more harrowing especially with the flood of cars on both sides of the road. The view from the top was outstanding and even got to see a herd of goats next to the observatory. Then an even heart pounding drive back down where I didnt really release my grip on the wheel until I got to Echo Lake Lodge. Great place to visit, definitely recommend to visit earlier in the day to avoid the heavier traffic later in the day. Take it slow on the roads after Echo Lake Lodge if you need to, but definitely worth the drive.

2  Thank Earl I
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

World class views of the Rocky Mountains! If you want to see unparalleled views, you need to visit Mount Evans. Supposedly less crowded than Pike Peak. Bring a good camera to capture the view! We climbed to the top through a tour operator (Colorado Sightseer) and glad we did it this way. Road to top is narrow and dangerous to the unwary or inexperienced. Also, a well known challenge to cyclist, so along with difficult driving and narrow roads and swithbacks, you have to deal with many bikes going up and down the mountain on the same road. Let someone else (an experienced mountain road driver) do the driving. Get ready for high altitude and changing weather conditions. It is cold and windy at the top, so bring numerous layers to be confortable, even in summer. Also, while I'm in good physical condition, it is definitely taxing on the lungs if you are not used to the altitude. If you have the time and inclination while in Colorado, a must see site.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

By far the best drive and splendid view from top. It is all worth the "heartbeat skipping" drive all the way up. The drive is little difficult specially for first time drivers, so be careful and drive very slowly. Keep it up and just go on.. personally I myself asked my husband to return back on multiple occasions but he just kept going slowly and steadily. And when we reached the top.. it was totally worth it.

While driving up, you can have a halt first at Echo lake and then at Summit lake. All the places have restrooms also. I will suggest to take food and refreshments with you as there is nothing on the mountain. Also take a jacket as it gets super cold at the top.

1  Thank PoorvaVishal

Been to Mount Evans? Share your experiences!