“Nice hotel near the airport”

HYATT House Denver Airport
Ranked #29 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel the night before returning home. It is a newer hotel with large rooms.
There aren't many restaurants nearby as is the case with the string of airport hotels off 40th street.
However, the hotel is extremely close to Pena Blvd and the airport.

The hot items in the breakfast bar were cold, and I did not see a microwave where I could warm up my eggs.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about this hotel. It suited my needs just fine.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevator.
1  Thank QueenMemphis
HSSDIA, General Manager at HYATT House Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Alright so first things first sometimes people write review and they take everything bad that happened before their visit and after into consideration when it's not the hotel fault. Anyways my family and I stayed here from the 12-18 and honestly it was nice. Yes to kitchen! Although Denver is know for their food and beer some days we were just so tired we didn't feel like going out to eat especially after returning from pikes peak and having to witness the worst hale storm ever for us. Yea there was a fork missing or a coffee mug but whatever we just dealt with it. Not a big deal anyways. There's grills outside and you can borrow the utensils from the front desk and return them after your done. But please clean them before they were so thankful at the fact that I took the time to clean them apparently others don't do that. The staffing cleaned if you had the sign at the door and respected when it had a do not disturb sign which for some weird reason some hotels don't. So you can hear when your neighbors door closes since it slams real loud but you get used to it. Bathroom is spacious shower is awesome. The breakfast changed everyday from veggie scrambles to meaty scrambles or plain to bacon, sausage and ham, french toast, oatmeal, fruit, and to go items if you were in a hurry. Also juices, milk, water, coffee and TAZO teas (8 different types). The evening social is from Monday to Thursday and it was just tappas and for drinks coffee, tea, coors light, fat tire and wine. Unlimited drinking = awesome and those glasses of wine were served to almost the top. The staff at the front was nice, the ladies during breakfast and social were sweethearts you could tell English was their second language but they didn't let that stopped them. I only had one bad thing happened and that was the extra blanket that sits in the closet when I took it out of the bag it was full of dog hair so I just left it in the floor and just turned up the ac in the morning I left her a note and she just wrote back "Ansori" it made me smile that she at least took the time to say something back. All in all we had a good time and the hotel was a little apartment away from home and we liked that. So thanks Hyatt for providing a home away from home :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kirykitty
HSSDIA, General Manager at HYATT House Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Reviewed 17 July 2014

It appears that the luster has worn off this new property in the time between our booking and actual stay, based on the more recent reviews. It's a new hotel and probably the closest one to the Denver airport, so we thought it would be the perfect stop-over before an early-morning flight.

Our trouble started when we checked in and were told that the two bedroom suite we had booked had been overbooked and was not available. Of course, with a family of 5 that room was the reason we had chosen this hotel in the first place. We were offered two rooms that were NOT connecting and were NOT even directly across the hall from each other. Our GUARANTEED reserved room had one king and two queen beds while the substituted rooms had 2 kings and 2 sleeper sofas. In my mind, that's hardly a substitution, especially since the sleeper sofas were not made up. After I asked, they did offer a 33% discount off what we had originally planned to pay. That staff was not very apologetic, however, stating that the reservation problem was not their doing.

The rooms were nice, but starting to show quite a bit of wear for such a new property. Towels were frayed and the furniture was abused. The good news was that the windows opened so we could air out the unpleasant aroma.

While checking out, we were asked about our stay. I expressed my disappointment that our reserved room was not available and I was told that a plumbing leak rendered that room unusable. That was a different story than the overbooking that we were told the night before, so I'm not sure which one to believe.

One small experience during breakfast seems to symbolize the hotel's situation: At the buffet there were three nice containers for silverware. One was empty and two were filled with a mismatch of forks and spoons. Someone must have decided that it was not worth the time to sort the forks and spoons and the knives were completely missing.

This is a nice property in a great location, but the staff is not taking care of it or the customers.

1  Thank CrazyBoater
HSSDIA, General Manager at HYATT House Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Got stranded in Denver due to missed flight connection, and was rebook on the early morning flight. Booked this hotel as it looks to be the closest to the airport.
If you are planning to take a shuttle to the hotel, I would advice you to call and book a place in the shuttle van. During my time, lots of passengers were stranded, and so when trying to get on the shuttle to the hotel, the driver would only accept people who had called in as there was limited space. Luckily, I had called in but still had to wait awhile for the shuttle to come.
The hotel looks clean and checking in was fine. I was able to grab dinner from the frozen section of the "market" they had in the hotel. Food-wise is limited in the area, unless you have a car.
The room I got was a good size with a separate living room. I got the view of the highway and mountains. The bathroom was clean, no bathtub but a nice shower.
Could not operate the tv but that does not matter to me as all I wanted to do was sleep. The bed was nice and I got a restful sleep.
As for wifi, I had trouble getting on. Eventhough I had the password.
Would I stay here if I had a layover? sure, but someone have to show me how to operate the tv since all I got was 1 channel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MzNomad

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were here for softball tournament for the whole week and must say this hotel is convenient to the softball fields, and airport. this was not our first trip to this hotel so it was disappointing to see the changes in the rooms and facilities. I will say that they have a nice semi-full kitchen (no ovens) and a flat panel tv. The problems we dealt with were the first two nights are a/c wasn't cooling so we were sweating it out during the night. They finally brought somebody in to fix it and after two days the thermastat was finally working. The other issues were the shower was not working and it felt like you had a little stream of warm water streaming on you - believe you me this wasn't a fun experience to rinse off all the soap from your head and body. They finally replaced the shower head to give us a little more water to wash with after a day. The housekeeping was not very good if you know what I mean. I had to leave a note for the housekeeping to mop the floors in the bathroom and kitchen and it was NEVER done! The room smelled of mildew and funk! We were told they would take care of it but it didn't do any good whatever they sprayed in the air. So we went to walmart and bought air/moisture absorber and placed in the room. The breakfast was okay and the Mon-Thursday evening social was good. I am thankful this is our last year of softball in Colorado. I will say if I had to visit again, I would probably not stay here unless they clean up their act. Sorry Hyatt House you are definitely slacking this time. Very disappointed since we paid a great deal for our rooms to have a shabby experience.

2  Thank Evelyn H

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were here for softball tournament for the whole week and must say this hotel is convenient to the softball fields, and airport. this was not our first trip to this hotel so it was disappointing to see the wear in the rooms and facilities. I will say that they have a nice semi-full kitchen (no ovens) and a flat panel tv. The problems we dealt with were the first two nights are a/c wasn't cooling so we were sweating it out during the night. They finally brought somebody in to fix it and after two days the thermastat was finally working. The other issues were the shower was not working and it felt like you had a little stream of warm water streaming on you - believe you me this wasn't a fun experience to rinse off all the soap from your head and body. They finally replaced the shower head to give us a little more water to wash with after a day. The housekeeping was not very good if you know what I mean. I had to leave a note for the housekeeping to mop the floors in the bathroom and kitchen and it was NEVER done! The room smelled of mildew and funk! We were told they would take care of it but it didn't do any good whatever they sprayed in the air. So we went to walmart and bought air/moisture absorber and placed in the room. The breakfast was okay and the Mon-Thursday evening social was good. I am thankful this is our last year of softball in Colorado. I will say if I had to visit again, I would probably not stay here unless they clean up their act. Sorry Hyatt House you are definitely slacking this time. Very disappointed since we paid a great deal for our rooms to have a shabby experience.

1  Thank Evaggelia67

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This place should not have the Hyatt name.

Rude, unprofessional, sexist front desk staff - in addition to being dirty & unkept.

I checked into the Hyatt House for one evening with my family & two other families and was appalled with the rudeness of the staff, Front Desk clerk, Jane.

I requested a room with a bathtub (I have a small child & require one) and I was told that "this hotel is for the male business traveler" and they do not need a bath tub.

When I told her that both my sister, who was also checking in and myself, are "business women" and do want a bathtub, she rudely said that "men do not have a problem not having a bath tub" & that my child "could take a shower."

Upon entering the second floor, where my room was located, all I could smell was the stench of cooked meat throughout the hallways and in my room. I am a vegetarian and the last thing I want to smell in my bedroom where I am sleeping is meat.

I went into the hallway to check with housekeeping to see if I could get some sort of an air freshener to remove the smell & I found a hotel employee laid out on a guest room couch with his shoes off watching TV.

Meanwhile, several rooms in the hotel were still waiting to be cleaned and the hallways were in desperate need of being vacuumed.

It was 4:30 pm on Sunday and one of our other parties were not able to 'check in' because their room had not yet been cleaned even though 'check in' is at 3:00 pm.

I kindly asked if there was something they could do since my parents room was not ready and Jane explained that "they had had a busy weekend and would get to cleaning my parents room when they could."

I could go on with additional issues with the hotel, but because my family would be staying for one night, and Jane was beyond unprofessional, I decided to take up matters with the hotel manager.

In conclusion, AVOID the Hyatt House Hotel located at the Denver airport.

I had read previous trip advisor reviews which were not favorable and was very skeptical about staying in the hotel. The other parties I was traveling with had a flight the next morning, so we chose this location hoping it would be of a similar class of hotels as the other Hyatt properties - which sadly it is not.

In my opinion, this entire situation could have been avoided if the hotel employed polite front desk staff. I understand there are certain things that are out the hotel's control, but the entire 2nd floor smells of meat, combined with the rude front desk staff & dirty/smelly rooms, us with a very negative opinion about this property.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family