“They Really Came Through for Us”

Four Seasons Hotel Denver
Ranked #3 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Michigan
“They Really Came Through for Us”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Follow me, this is a great story. Our family had just finsihed skiing upper at Beaver Creek for the the New Year week and we drove in the morning to DEN airport. Upon arriving at Denver I was getting updated calls from Delta every 20 minutes that our flight was delayed and delayed and really really delayed. When our 430pm departure was now posted to depart at 11pm we gave in and decided to go to a hotel. There are no quality hotels near DEN and I knew there was a new FS in Denver. I called the hotel and the res agent was busy and she called me back within 10 minutes. We were travelling with 3 kids 21-13 years old. I explained the situation and she had us in a small suite with a connecting room. Delta refused to get our bags for us so we headed to the FS with the clothes on our back and booked out late the next day.
When we got to the FS, it was a little slice of heaven, The had our keys waiting for us. Megan in reservations has alerted the Concierge and she sent the bellman on a Sunday night to a Target store a few miles away, When we arrived we were given 5 pair of Fruit of Loom boxers and tee shirts and a bag of shaving products, tooth brushes, deodorent, mouth wash, brushes, comb, everything we could use. They had a table at 730pm ready for us in Edge restaurant and we had a great meal in blue jeans and sweatshirts.
When we got to the room there was hot tea and cookieswaiting for us and we were asked to put our stinky travel clothes in bags and they would be laundered and back by 7am.
It was truly amazing service, especially for a hotel open only a few months. The rooms were spacious, clean, and the beds were awesome.
I know they are still breaking in as a new hotel, but this place is going to be the gem of Denver. Out of something bad comes something good, and the good in this case was the Four Seasons Denver.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
seattle,wa
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We came into town to visit family for the holidays, but took a night to meet some old friends at the Four Seasons. From the start it was a bit of an odd experience. The front desk was nice, but had to do a lot of "checking with the manager". They made a point of telling us that the pool was outside, but it was heated. Then when we went to look at the pool, we were greeted with a sign stating that the pool was closed for ice around the pool deck. It seemed that maybe one could use a shovel or salt to make a path the 15 feet to the hot tub, but no. Then the bar was perplexing. Our first waitress before dinner was very attentive, but the second waitress later that night, not so much.
The next morning was the really damper on the experience. When we went to leave in the morning the valet brought our friends' car to the door. Unfortunately, it arrived with a HUGE dent in the side. Apparently, the valet the night before had crashed the car returning it to the garage. These things happen, but they did not seem to handle this the way a hotel of this quality should. Not very remorseful. It seems they should bend over backwards to make the customer feel better about the situation, but that didn't seem the case. It wasn't my car, but I left feeling bad about the whole stay.
The hotel's insurance will cover it and they offered him a $100 to spend in the restaurant, which seemed little consolation for the hours of time and trouble they will have dealing with their mistake. Also, they still had the $29 dollar valet charge on the bill. He asked to have that removed, which they did, but that seemed like a no-brainer for them to have done prior to printing the bill.
Anyhow, it's a nice building, but they need to invest in some salt and customer service training.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank nwtravelmom
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 2 January 2011

On a recent trip to Denver, due to some glitches in our travel plans we ended up staying in the Ritz Carlton for half the time and the Four Seasons for the other half. So I feel I can write a good comparitive review of the two.
By far, Four Seasons is the better hotel. Now don't take this to mean that the Ritz wasn't good. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were HUGE and Elways was a decent restaurant, but the Four Seasons was just a few notches above.
From the time we walked in when they greeted my 3 year old by his name, to the top notch interior design of the room, the quality of food at the restaurant and the heated outdoor pools - this is an EXCELLENT hotel.
Now it is a bit more pricey (about 25%) than the Ritz and the rooms are smaller. But it is a newer hotel and better located.
I would recommend this wholeheartedly

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank seattle_family_1
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Four Seasons has a leg up on all other hotel chains I've ever used: they know how to make the customer feel special. I got a great "introductory rate" and through American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts also got an automatic upgrade to a wonderful corner room. The room was absolutely gorgeous, the free-standing oval bathtub next to the window a particularly nice touch.

We used the Spa, too, and got the best deep tissue massage ever (ask for Kristina and tell her not to hold back). It was refreshing to be given the bill and see only the charges you expected (lately a lot of spas are adding "fees" and even automatic gratuities).

Finally, we had dinner at Edge (the on-property restaurant), which was fantastic. Read my separate review of it.

Again, the best thing about the 4 Seasons (this one in Denver and others) is that they know how to make a customer feel like they've made the right choice in hotels.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 29 December 2010

This WILL be a great hotel, on par with other Four Seasons Hotels. But it is new, and although the (quite young) staff are enthusiastic (especially in the restaurant) there is a bit of seasoning required before it becomes a great hotel. They truly "get it" when it comes to customer service. For example, I gave my departure date a day early. I got back to my room at the end of the day and the room had not been cleaned so I called down. Once they explained the error (remember, my error), I popped down for a bite to eat and the room was made up when I got back, no drama, nothing.

The rooms are fabulous. I was tempted to take photos for the design ideas! The shower was one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. The bed was terrific. Typical Four Seasons, which means great.

I can't speak to the bar much but I walked through it a couple of times on my way to dinner. I could see this becoming a bit of an "in" place. I think the young employees at the hotel probably help with the vibe. There was a couple of business groups using the hotel and they looked like they were having FUN at the bar.

So, what can be improved upon? Only valet parking is offered - it is cheap, especially with in/out privileges) - but some of us like to just hop into our vehicles without calling down first (in fairness, the car guys were very fast). The dinner menu in the restaurant (a steakhouse) is overly fussy and expensive. The whole thing is a la carte with various sides and sauces and so on. Most of us carnivores probably would prefer a simpler process. And in all honesty, why would the Four Seasons, within spitting distance (a couple of blocks away) of the Denver Capital Grille, build their restaurant around a steak house concept? Strange. There are also several other very good restaurants on Larimer including Rioja (wow!). So check your options and if you are willing to walk 5 minutes in a very safe part of town, you will be surprised by what you find.

There is a lot of street work going on around the hotel and apparently it has been ongoing for quite some time. A minor inconvenience.

The last thing (a pet peeve) is that you have to pay for wireless internet, in this day and age! Now, maybe all I need is a Four Seasons card like the Fairmont has but come on guys, this is a brand new hotel in a pretty tech-savvy part of the world. Free wifi should be a no-brainer. Never too late to capitulate!

One last thing. Granted, I was on a corporate rate but.... Maybe because they are trying to kill the Hotel Teatro across the street but the room rate was ridiculously low for a Four Seasons. The same room would have been $150/night more in Toronto assuming no corporate rate.

So go, stay, enjoy. Eat elsewhere until they fix the dinner menu.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave_In_Oakville
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Arrived late evening and was greeted very well from every member of the hotel staff that we came across. I must note that I got a great rate of $150 per night. This hotel is in the heart of the Denver night life with short travel access to the Pepsi center, Coors Stadium, convention center, main 16th street strip and numerous bars and clubs.

The room was spacious and elegant. This property is very new so it has all the bells and whistles.

Upon reaching my home destination, I checked my bill and was surprised to find out I had been charged and extra $120!!! I put a call into hotel management to discuss the charges and found out that I was charged for premium wi-fi, 6 mini bar drinks and overnight valet parking (considering we had a car valet parked for dinner only...2 hours and where still charged the full rate! absurd)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank FicoUCF
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Thia is an absolutely gorgeous hotel! Service, rooms, and atmosphere were extraordinary. I wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy more of the amenities.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business