“Enjoyable, but nothing special”
Review of Lou's Food Bar - CLOSED

Lou's Food Bar
Price range: US$14 - US$23
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shoshone St.
Description: Lou"s Food Bar is a neighborhood spot that serves American country food with a French twist. Lou's is intended to be the little sister to Mizuna—Frank Bonanno's flagship restaurant. While Mizuna is high-end American food with strong French influences, Lou's Food Bar is a more playful offspring—still maintaining that French influences, but a little livelier, more casual—a cost-friendly neighborhood venue that strives to offer excellence in both fare and service. Lou's Food Bar focus on fresh ingredients, at the peak of their flavor profile, simply prepared and beautifully rendered.
Reviewed 19 November 2012

A very casual place. We were there for a quick bite. Enjoyed the specialty salads. Two of the draft beer selections were sold out, with no substitute. I was surprised they couldn't change out the keg! We would probably not seek out again.

There are newer reviews for Lou's Food Bar

Reviewed 18 October 2012

Food was original and good. The setting is noisy with music and the service was not at top. We were slighltly cold.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Six of us went to Lou's Food Bar for dinner at 7:00 on Saturday, October 13, 2012. We had reservations and arrived a little early. I only found compact car parking spaces available. They tried to seat us in a booth which, in our opinion, would be very cramped for six adults. They provided us with better seating when we told them of the problem. We informed the waitress that we would need two separate bills (one for me and my wife, and then one for the other four people). The waitress said no problem because they keep billing organized by seat.

The soup and salad were very good. When the main courses were served, five of us got very good dinners. I was a little puzzled when my spagetti and meatballs never showed up. The waitress was no where to be found. I encouraged the others to start eating their main course and not wait for me. I munched on some garlic bread. My brother-in-law also had spagetti and meatballs and started to eat it. Where was mine? I waited about two minutes, then walked up to the hostess and told her of the problem (everyone had their food and I had no clue where my food or waitress was). The hostess said she would look into it. After another three or four minutes, the waitress brought my food. It was spagetti and sausage, not spagetti and meatballs. Apparently they had run out of meatballs. I really don't like sausage with spagetti ... it was an awkward situation. To reject my dinner and wait who knows how long for a replacement dinner while everyone else was already eating would have been a poor choice. My brother-in-law gave me one of his meatballs. The spagetti and meatball were delicious, I tried a couple of the sausages, but they were too greasy/fatty for me.

The hostess offered to correct the situation by paying for my desert. Sure. Okay. A woman in our group insisted on paying for all the deserts herself, making things a little more complicated. Yet, the waitress understood the situation, or so we thought. However, when we got our bills, they still had charged me for my own desert, and doubly charged for everyone else's desert! Billing errors like that are either a sign of dishonesty or incompetance. We eventually straightened it out with them. To top it off, they then charged a mandatory 20% tip because we were a party of six. My brother-in-law was very upset with the billing situation. He and his family had visited this place before without any problems.

It is a somewhat noisy restaurant and that can interfere with normal conversations.

Just as we were leaving, I saw a hot spagetti and meatballs dinner being delivered to a table. When I mentioned it to the hostess, she replied that they had been "temporarily" out of meatballs.

This restaurant really needs to improve how they handle temporary menu item shortages and make the billing much more clear. Overall, it could have been a much more pleasant evening, but they fumbled several simple things too easily.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We hit up Lou's for an impromtu brunch on Saturday. I'd guess and state about 15 customers total when we showed up. Our server was very friendly and professional.

We placed our orders and the wait began. It took literally 42+ minutes for an omelette and a fish sandwhich. When our meals finally showed up, more disappointment. My sammich was over seasoned and over cooked. I waited 40+ minutes for a dry fish sandwhich?

Our server realized the delay and brought out two free shooters during the wait. It was a nice gesture on her part. However, you visit a restaurant for both the food and the service, not one of the two.

I thought about speaking with the front of house reference both the waitand quality of the food. However, this is a Frank Bonnano restaurant. You pay for the privilege and I don't exactly get the impression customer feedback is acted upon.

We won't be back.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

My daughter took us to "Lou's Food Bar" on a recent trip to Denver. I wasn't sure about the neighborhood or the restaurant but she promised we'd love it. We did! Located in the "Sunnyside" neighborhood (1851 38th Avenue, Denver; 303-458-0336) the restaurant appearance on the outside does not match in appearance on the inside. Food was amazing (homemade sausages, fried chicken, pork tenderloin, pastas, sandwiches and yummy appetizers, salads and fabulous desserts)! Price was right and so was their wine list. My daughter says breakfast at Lou's is equally as good. Next time! Guess the owner has 5 other restaurants in Denver. We'll have to try them all. But if you're staying on the west side of Denver you need to check this place out. And don't let the appearance outside fool you! http://www.lousfoodbar.com/