“Not what you would expect from a contemporary art museum”
Review of MCA Denver

MCA Denver
Ranked #107 of 266 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 12 December 2012

The Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver is much smaller than most other contemporary art museums, which for me makes it even more interesting. There is no permanent collection so every couple of months the entire place is re-done. The art is always a surprise, and has everything from painting and sculpture to video art and writings. Of special note is the rooftop bar/cafe, which serves cocktails and small snacks. The views are amazing and there is ample seating. This museum is also child friendly and has a family creativity area on the top floor. If you are staying or visting downtown, take two hours and support this independent museum. And if you're looking for a really unique Friday night, most Fridays are themed with some wacky idea that attracts a really unique crown, and the entry fee is lower than other times.

All reviews
"paintings"
in 5 reviews
"highlights"

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I was here for the night at the museums. All the artwork was so lame and nothing caught my attention. I've been to NYC's MOMA and that's something to look at! This museum offers first saturdays of the month for a penny, so if you're really curious, go. But it isn't worth the full price. I met an observer there who works in a gallery in another city and even she said that this was a sad collection of modern art. I enjoy the building driving by and that's the only good part.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We went to the museum on a free night. I'm not a total art person, but I do enjoy museums and have an open mind. I thought the museum was pretty small, and mostly just had words. I feel like it should have been the word museum instead. I am glad I got to go, but glad that I got to go for free. I wouldn't pay to go back, but the roof cafe was AWESOME! Great place to get a drink (the sodas were all made in the Rockies and with beet sugar!) The view was nice and the atmosphere was relaxed.

1  Thank SonyaTHEyoloer
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Be sure to check out MCA for free on the first Friday art walk if you have never been. Extended evening hours on weekends. The roof top cafe is a great spot for an afternoon coffee or tea. Exhibitions vary greatly, so check the calendar as well. Some will be of interest and some may not be your cup of tea - such is the nature of art. There is a nice park nearby on the river if you are wanting an afternoon walk too. Love this part of town. If you are an art supporter join the museum @ the individual level and come with a friend for free as well.