“Worst Marriott stay ever”

TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown
Ranked #70 of 156 Hotels in Denver
“Worst Marriott stay ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

The town place suites appeared to be in a nice part of Denver and close to the hospital. We arrived on a Thursday and had multiple rooms reserved from the studio to their 2-room suites. Upon arrival, only one of the rooms was available and the 2-room suite was not ready until well past check in. I asked about hotel shuttle service and was told we could catch a hotel shuttle back to airport on Monday.

Once in our room and getting settled, we noticed the shower rod was barely hanging on the wall and was so loose the curtain wouldn't stay. The bathroom sink did not drain correctly and water soon collected on the bathroom floor.

There is a lot of construction right out front which begins with back-up alarms at 7am which may as well be an alarm clock in your room which we were not informed of. On top of that, the fire alarm went off at 7:30am on Sunday for a false alarm waking the entire hotel.

As others have noted, you can easily hear conversations in adjoining rooms due to the walls being paper thin.

The day prior to check out, I went to the front desk to arrange our transportation to the airport the following morning to be told they could call super shuttle or a limo. This is exactly opposite from what I was told a mere 3 days earlier.

This was by far the most disappointing visit to any Marriott property. I would not recommend to stay here and will seek other accommodations for my next trip to Denver.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My Husband and I stayed eight days at the TownePlace Suites Marriott on 685 Speer Boulevard in Denver, Colorado. The staff was very professional, kind and accommodating. The ladies at the front desk -- Sharon, Monique, GiGi, Amy, and Julie -- assisted us with every request and were our "Tour Guides" with recommendations for stores, places to visit etc.

The Driver who drove us to medical appointments was always polite and on time. The server at the breakfast room kept it clean. There was plenty of food out from early at 6:00 as well as later on. He served with a smile and nice manners. In addition, he provided us with good suggestions regarding where in town to explore everything from art galleries to night life.

As for the rooms, they can benefit from more attention. The AC was not working for the first two nights. (GiGi provided us with a fan.) The faucet in the bathroom was leaking and the room was not clean when we entered. ( Again, GiGi sent the cleaning service back in.)

A clean, well-maintained room would have made our experience at the TownPlace Suites a very good one. Still, the wonderful staff made our stay there lovely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rainbow1Rainbow
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

If the weather is good, you have the shoes for it, and with a little help from the 16th Street Mall shuttle, this TownePlace is within walking distance to downtown. It was clean, updated, and very comfortable. Good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark B
Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

I was in town for a meeting downtown and the major hotels didn't have rates at my company's standard so I found these suites not too far from the center of town. The rooms were adequate and quiet. The place looked like it was undergoing some renovations but didn't affect my stay. If I needed to be at the Denver hospital it would be well situated.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lubran
Pueblo West, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We had a room on the second floor. It was not a suite by anyone's definition. It had a very small kitchenette off to the side of the bed. It was so noisy and lighted from the outside that it was impossible to sleep. The walls are so thin we could hear the guest next door. The bed was lumpy and sagging in the middle. The spigit almost came out of the wall when I pulled up on the shower knob. The door bolt was missing a screw and totally useless. When I returned at 3PM from my treatment at National Jewish exhausted and needing a nap, I was so disappoint to see the room had not been serviced. Requested only the bathroom be cleaned and restocked. Just the towels were replaced -- no wash cloths or toiletries. As a patient at National Jewish, I was given a special rate. I would gladly pay triple the rack rate some place else than to spend another exhausting night in this facility. I do not recommend this place, and I am surprised the Marriott brand has allowed itself to be misused and abused this way. Marriott representatives should visit this facility immediately and address these issues. If not, they will definitely lose return customers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Elizabeth C
Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

The TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown probably isn't the right hotel for everyone, but it is a great place in the right situation.

As others have noted, it is under renovation. I did find the walls/floors a bit thin but not annoyingly so (and I didn't hear hotel noise at night). You are directly across the parking lot from Denver Health and Hospital (which is why I stayed there). This is a great location if you have a loved one in the hospital as you can literally walk to the hospital, even in bad weather. However, given that it is so near the hospital, you will hear the sounds of the city, specifically sirens periodically. It is not like they are constant, but you are aware of them.

For my experience, the manager and assistant manager were at the desk and checked me in. They were extraordinarily gracious, allowing me to check in about 3 hours before check in. They asked me if I needed anything and offered me a complimentary beverage. I haven't had that kind of service in a higher tier Marriott so I was definitely impressed.

I was not impressed with the hallways but, they are hallways. And, the property is under renovation.

I thought my room was very large. It had a full kitchen and, if I had been staying more than one night, I certainly would have taken advantage of the larger refrigerator. I really appreciated the workspace/desk. There was ample space and, even better, a multitude of outlets.

Breakfast the next morning was nothing special. It was in a different room than the usual breakfast room due to renovations. There were no hot items. Hard boiled eggs, cereal, pastries, yogurt and the like. I will definitely return if/when working with the hospital.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mr_RN
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We had booked rooms at this hotel in anticipation of being snowed in this past Spring Break. Our party was flying in from several locations during a huge snowstorm and some flights were being canceled, so we ended up staying near the hotel to have easy access for pick up. In the confusion we did not cancel this reservation, assuming that they Were being canceled by the hotel personnel at the airport location. I nearly passed out when I saw that our credit card was charged for two rooms. I do understand now how important it is to cancel these reservations and that nobody is obligated to cancel them but myself. Fortunately, Shelton, the manager at this hotel, was so courteous and Ignored company policy in favor of good customer service. For this reason alone we will definitely plan to stay at this hotel in the future!

Stayed March 2013