“Hotel was overbooked and bumped my confirmed reservation! *BEWARE*”

TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown
Ranked #76 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I had made a reservation for this hotel on August 16 and had a booked confirmation number for one night’s stay for my wife and I on September 17. Upon our arriving shortly after 3 pm (after driving 250+ miles from Wyoming) and going through the check-in process. The front desk manager (Michael) asked if "I had been contacted by the third party that I made the reservation through since they wanted to relocate me". I adamantly explained that I had not been contacted by anyone and there were valid reasons why I wanted to stay at this specific location. I could not understand why they would cancel my confirmed reservation without providing me an explanation or provide me an alternate location. The manager then said he would contact them for me to find out why. He then disappeared into an office. While I was standing near the front desk waiting for his return I began to overhear snippets of conversations that the hotel was overbooked because of the recent floods in the area and they were turning people away. At last, things were making sense. If this was explained to me initially, I would not have been pleased but I would at least had understood the entire situation. My displeasure in this entire sequence of events was not being turned away as much as being lied to by the manager. In the initial conversation I was led to believe that it was the third party who was changing my reservation while in reality it was Michael’s decision. After a considerable amount of time Michael reappeared and informed that he had contacted the third party and had me pick up a telephone extension so I could try to find another location to stay. Bottom line, I was upset and still am. As I explained to Michael afterwards, he was wrong in his initial conversation by not being truthful about the situation and leading me to believe the other party was responsible for changing the reservation. Plus, for a person in his position this type of behavior is totally unprofessional and unacceptable. I have been a Marriott Rewards member for over 15 years and have stayed in Marriott family locations for several hundred nights while traveling for business and leisure before I retired and have never, ever experienced a situation such as this. Based on my personal experience and other comments I have read. This hotel should be avoided.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed here for two night in August and found that the staff bent over backwards to help us get settled. The rooms especially the kitchen had everything we needed. The bathrooms could have been a little bigger and nicer, but that was my only complaint on the room. Slept on the pull out couch and it was quite comfortable for a pull out. Also the breakfast area was nice and clean. There is construction all around the hotel and a few one ways so its a little hard to access, but was a good location.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Staying here for a week until I can move into my apartment. Chose the hotel because of its closeness to work. I've only spent one night and I'm already regretting it. AC rattled all night long. No counter space in bathroom . Elevators sound and act like they will quit any time. The worst was waking up to construction just outside my window. See picture. It's going to be a long week.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family stayed here July 26-28, 2013. Great location for downtown access, but not Marriott quality! Old, outdated facility with very poor bathroom drainage. The front desk check in was efficient and recommendation for dinner was right on target. However, we experienced a fire alarm in the middle of the night our first night around 4 am....it was horrible! There was no supervision, guidance, direction or resolution provided to ANY guests. There were several explanations being tossed around by guests, but there was NEVER a hotel representative to reassure the guests. There was a small slip of paper slipped under our door apologizing for the inconvenience and we could get 1,000 reward points if we were members or could register to become a member. That is NOT the Marriott quality we know. In today's world of terror.......this was handled so unprofessionally. When we checked out, the front desk demanded that little slip of paper they slipped under our door that night....signed before they would even consider giving us the reward points. SERIOUSLY...Shame on you Marriott!!!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

In a recent review it said it was totally renovated in May 2013. Didn't seem so. Staff was nice but snacks in the store were totally out of sight. Probably 800% park up, so stay away from there. Our bathroom sink was very slow to drain and vanity wasn't really clean. No trash can in the bathroom either. No king beds available (maybe none in Hotel). Bed was a little hard for our taste. Location was great for us. My brother's apartment just 3 blocks away. All in all not terrible but could use some improvements.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of it's location. We were moving our daughter to Denver and arrived from the Midwest with a trailer in tow. The hotel staff was quite accommodating in making sure we were able to park the truck and trailer in the parking lot which was a huge help to us. This hotel is very convenient to downtown Denver and the 16th St. Mall is walking distance in good weather. It was also conveniently located to our daughter's apartment which was the reason we selected this place.

Breakfast was ok. No hot selections (except waffles) as at many other Marriott properties but there was cereal, yogurt and other options. Our only complaint was that the bed is terribly soft and rolled to the middle. We will try this place another time, but if the bed in another room is as uncomfortable as this last one, we will move on to another Marriott property.

We did have a fire alarm which was due to burnt toast in the breakfast area. Fortunately, it was at 9am so we were up and dressed. But it was pain since we had to vacate while we were doing some work.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night because the sprig hill suites and downtown Marriott were fully booked. This is an older building. décor is old, nothing fancy. Has a motel feeling, only cleaner. Upon arrival, staff were very friendly and helpful. free parking is a bonus. however, bath tub had hair in it, drain clogged and the room was tiny. As for the bed?!!!!!!!!!! As hard as slleping on the floor! It was awful and we barely got any sleep. The walls are also very thin so we could here the people above us and beside us. Breakfast was average. Waffle maker ran out of waffle mix by 8am and nobody replaced it. I guess first come first serve and your loss if you didn't get any. The only flavored packaged muffins they had was blueberry, neither of us were blueberry fans. The only thing we could eat was cereal and yoghurt and a stale English muffin.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple