“Unique tour of Denver”

Banjo Billy's Bus Tours
Ranked #22 of 80 Tours in Denver
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I took this tour and really enjoyed it. The tour guide was informative and funny. We learned a lot about Denver and enjoyed the unique seating.. We liked it so much we took the one in boulder too.. Also excellent..

2  Thank travelersK&W

Reviewed 13 May 2014

A tour of downtown Denver aboard a one of a kind customized bus. The guide and driver provided great information about sections of the city that gave me an idea of what I might like to investigate further. It was humorous and informational. Interaction was encouraged. We saw the botanical gardens, historic landmarks, some beautiful mansions, a questionable graveyard, and the heart of downtown Denver. You don't get on and off the bus, so it's relaxing and anyone with mobility issues need not worry about walking or accessibility. The funky seats on the bus made for a comfy ride. And the price was worth every penny.

4  Thank untired26
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We read about this tour and thought it sounded like a quirky and fun way to learn a bit about Denver. And it definitely was! Scott, our guide, showed up right on time and everything was exactly as promised. He was interesting and fun while sharing a lot of information about the city that we as tourists found really good to know, as it helped us put things in context. The bus is, well, no way to really describe it, it has to be seen. But to us it just added to the fun. At the end of the tour we joined a lot of our fellow passengers in taking photos in front of it.

I have seen some negative reviews here but I have nothing but good things to say about this unique, memorable, and reasonably-priced tour. I would definitely do it again.

3  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My review of the Banjo Billy Denver city tour is mixed, hence the 3 stars.

On the plus side:
- It is a unique tour, that's for sure. From the bus to the stops, I've never been on any tour like it.
- You see sights and learn things that you certainly would not have gotten on your own, or probably from any other tour.
- Overall, it's a worthwhile experience if you want to spend a half day away from the real Denver area attraction, which is the mountains.

Here are the negatives:
- If you're from out of town, the tour departure point is hard to find, plus you have to find a parking lot downtown (we did it on a quiet Sunday and it was still very difficult to find a place).
- The goofy seating on the bus (saddles, couches, easy chairs, etc.) are fun but limit your view (try turning around 180 degrees sitting low in an overstuffed chair) and aren't particularly comfortable.
- We were on what was billed as the city tour but the guide focused a lot (really a lot) on the information from the scary tour that they do at night. This leads me to believe that there basically just isn't that much to talk about when it comes to greater downtown Denver.
- Specific to our visit, it was about 95 degrees the day we went - the bus has no AC and open (actually no) windows.

All in all, we had a pretty good time on this tour but it certainly was not the highlight of our five days in the Denver area.

2  Thank JimmyL60365
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I would prefer to give this tour a zero. We made reservations for the ghost tour in Denver during our vacation. Our kids were very excited as we thought a bus tour would be a fun way to experience a ghost tour in October. We arrived early and sat out in the rain to wait. Nothing. I tried calling, and the number on their web site went to voice mail and said they weren't open until Tuesday. It was Saturday. The voice mail gave no option for people to call with real-time tour questions. There was another couple waiting with us as well.

Finally, I logged into my personal email account and found an email they sent us close to noon, cancelling the tour due to a "bus mechanical issue". This is preposterous. Most of the people taking this tour are probably in from out of town, so checking a home email account is probably not high on their list of vacation fun. Secondly, they sent the email just short of four hours before the tour. Again, ridiculous. Even if I had caught the email right at noon, half of our day would have been wasted. Lastly, this is a BUS TOUR. The bus is the tour. What kind of company doesn't have a back-up plan in this instance? A second bus, perhaps?

Our money was refunded, but our plans for that day were ruined, as we planned our entire day around this tour. By the time I got the message, it was too late to schedule much of anything else for the day. It ruined this part of our trip.

I would never recommend this company.

1  Thank lgorman2323
BoulderSkier96, Owner at Banjo Billy's Bus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Ms. Gorman,

I apologize for the mechanical issue of the bus. We realized the starter failed when doing our pre-trip bus inspection around noon that Sunday. Your tour was booked for Sunday at 4:00 p.m., not Saturday.

Once we realized the problem could not be solved that morning, we cancelled the tour. We attempted to call you but you had entered a nine digit telephone number; hence we sent an email.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

John Georgis