“They saved my trip!”

Ranked #71 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Columbus, Ohio
“They saved my trip!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I was stuck in Denver and there were no airport rooms available. This hotel is far but had a shuttle. They were just wonderful. The shuttle driver took me back to get my luggage and waited for me. The desk clerk gave me a free drink. The hotel is in a semi shady area and there are trains you can hear. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are very nice and the best beds. Food good too and open till 11pm. But the hallways would make u run! Ugly, never ending, coke machines, used carpet, totally awful. Gave me second thoughts but don't let it scare u away. They have to fix this because it ruins all else. Staff could not have been nicer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
MatthewAnderson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Stapleton North, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Julia B,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am glad you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in our area.

(303) 262-7701

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I just returned from attending a 3-day technical conference at this hotel. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels world-wide and probably 10 different Doubletrees and this one stands out for being one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had.

First the good stuff. The food in the bar was pretty good and the drinks were reasonably priced. Plus the staff was always friendly and polite even as they were failing to deliver a reasonable guest experience.

I don't blame the people. The management here is simply not paying attention to the details. Hilton has really taken Doubletree to the bottom. They used to be a hidden gem. Here are my experiences at this hotel starting from 4 days ago:

1. There are 2 Doubltrees in close proximity. The shuttle driver informed us of that. So when we got to the first stop I asked him "Is this the Doubltree on Quebec Street?" he said yes. So I got off the shuttle and stood in line for 10 minutes to check in before finding out that both Doubletrees were on Quebec St. Another shuttle driver who was on break was kind enough to shuttle me to the correct Doubltree.

2. They were offering free Wi-Fi to everyone. It wasn't worth the price. This is a business hotel and providing Internet that made me wish I had a 56K dial up modem is simply not acceptable at any price. The connections kept going down and forcing reconnects. I wasted many hours of time trying to get basic email tasks done waiting for the next 5 minutes when the Internet would work. When I complained they were obviously aware that this was an ongoing problem and apologized very nicely. Again, complete incompetence on the part of management.

3. The bathroom is very small. About the size of a typical cheap 3-star tourist hotel in France. Barely enough room on the counter to hold my shaving kit. It was very clean.

4. Trying to take a shower was quite a challenge. Scalding hot water followed by freezing cold water followed by a few minutes of moderate temp water was the constant cycle in this shower. Don't expect to take a relaxing shower here. Again, when I complained they were very nice and apologetic but by now I was thinking what good is an apology?

5. I get down to breakfast and I am seated promptly and immediately given water and coffee. I then wait almost 15 minutes and still no service. I wanted to order off the menu because paying $15 for a couple of eggs and 2 links of sausage is outrageous. But that is what I had to do. Yes I could have got up and flagged someone down to take my order, but why should I have to do that? I did have to stop a server at another table to get my bill for me so I could get to my meeting. In short the service is friendly, but terrible.

6. I make a reservation for the return shuttle to the airport. Give them my room number and name and they write it down. I get to the lobby 5 minutes early and ask them where to wait. They point to some chairs and say the shuttle driver will come in and make an announcement in the lobby when they are leaving. So I sit down and wait. 3 minutes after the appointed departure time I go to the front desk to ask if the shuttle is late. No, it was not late. It had already left without the driver coming into the hotel to see if the people who specifically made a reservation were waiting. I had to catch a cab at $50! Of course, they were very friendly and courteous while they were calling the taxi for me.

The level of incompetence in the delivery of service at this hotel puts these people in a class by themselves. And the facilities I expect and need to work properly like water and Internet don't work properly. At least the electricity did not go out. This place is the bottom of the Hilton barrel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MatthewAnderson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Stapleton North, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear RalphDaly28,

I really appreciate you taking my phone call so we could discuss the deficiencies you described in you review personally. I can readily understand your disappointment with your last stay with us and will continue to work with the management team on paying closer attention to details as you suggested. Let me assure you that your concerns are getting my full attention. As we discussed I have refunded $50 to your folio to cover your cab fare to the airport. Thank you again for your time and candid feedback about your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any other questions or concerns.

303-262-7701
Riverton, WY, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel was a Red Lion, but DoubleTree took it over and improved the room furnishings and service, wi-fi easy connection, friendly staff always. Old part of Denver, expect road construction in summer months, convenient parking not always available, rates are comparable with other hotels nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MatthewAnderson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Stapleton North, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Tom K,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Yes, we are very excited about being a DoubleTree. The conversion has brought about many exciting changes and upgrades. Although construction in the area can be a nuisance, it is part of the Stapleton North revitalization project. Please visit us again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Although the property is located in a convenient part of the city, construction and other noise factors make sleeping uncomfortable. I could hear people in adjacent room to boot. The bed was comfortable once I got to sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MatthewAnderson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Stapleton North, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear joyb827,

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the noise. The construction is part of the Stapleton North revitalization plan to improve the area. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in our area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 May 2014

an oasis to a bad missed flight connection experience. though, like other airport hotels this was 30 min from the airport, the bed, shower, amenities helped us refresh then rest and be ready for the next flying day. thank you double tree for rescuing the night and helping make us feel human again!!! this experience set us up for a good next day's flight with no issues (not with the same airline of course)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Dear tanyavic,

While I am sorry you experienced a flight connection problem, I am happy you enjoyed your stay and rested well. Thank you for your comments!

Dowagiac, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The whole experience was more than satisfactory from check in to check out. Parking is free and I could generally find space under shade trees. The hotel is located near to where I was working, so it was a convenient location. I had a 10-day stay and as a Hilton Honors member, I appreciated having a room on a hall designated for members. Having a restaurant in the hotel was also a plus for me. Other amenities I found useful during my stay were the fitness room and the free high speed internet access which was crucial to my work each day. The room was attractive and comfortable with an efficient layout. A refrigerator was part of the room furnishings made it very convenient to have special dietary foods on hand for the extended stay. The staff were welcoming, cordial, and helpful. I appreciated having the daily newspaper as well. All in all, the stay went smoothly and the service was excellent. The hotel has easy access to major routes in Denver, and although construction was happening on nearby roadways during my stay, access roads were opened to facilitate driving to the major routes. In my opinion, the service I received during the stay was commensurate with the cost.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Beverly B,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to know that you had a good experience and found our staff helpful. Please visit us again the next time your are in our area and please refer us to your family and friends!

Paonia, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Had a difficult flight and missed my connection--this was an unexpected stay over. Staff were very helpful, travel kit was provided and brought to my room, housekeeper and all staff friendly and the room was lovely--first rate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MatthewAnderson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Stapleton North, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Judith M,

Thank you for taking time to write comments regarding your stay at our hotel. While I am sorry you had a difficult flight and missed your connection, I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in our area.