“Pricey, interesting menu, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 40th
Transit: Restaurant can be accessed by RTD. A bus stop is located directly across the street from the restaurant.
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Pricey, interesting menu, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We read a review and decided to try Paxia, interested in finding Mexican food that is more Mexico and less Denver - not that I don't enjoy a good enchilada a la Denver, but I had enjoyed some amazing food in Mexico and I keep hearing from Mexican friends that they cannot find good, authentic Mexican food in Denver.

The restaurant is in a great neighborhood and the ambiance and staff was great. There are some nice tables and booths - we were escorted to a weird table right outside the kitchen, but when I asked for the booth, they immediately seated us in that area. The food was very good - I am not enough of an expert to know if it was "authentic" but it was not your typical, local enchilada plate. We enjoyed guacamole made table-side and a variety of dishes. I had chiles en nogada. The sauce was delicious and the chile and filling were wonderful. The portion was on the small side and the price was a bit high - $16. Also, they put the chile on a piece of lettuce to fill out the plate and while it made for a nice presentation, it was not pleasant under the chile as it became warm and wilted and made it hard to cut into the chile. I mentioned this to one of the owners, who came around to talk with people at the tables, and she said she would talk with the chef about another solution to the presentation, so they were very responsive and interested in our experience.

Everyone at the table had something different and we all tasted. The salmon was excellent. We had the tlacoyos and one of the chicken dishes. While we were all full after dinner, and enjoyed the food, it seemed a bit expensive for what we got. Definitely worth going to try something new.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Estes Park
“Delicious Mexican food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

This restaurant serves Mexican food with a twist. My enfrijolades are a wonderful joining of an enchilada with frijoles. The beans are pureed - and the taste is delicate. The drinks are terrific too.

2 Thank o2bnfr
Denver, Colorado
“WOW really Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have been to this restaurant twice and both times were excellent. I lived in Mexico for 5 years and this is terrific Mexican food. Service was top notch and I was advised the cooks are from Mexico City.
There is a small parking lot but plenty of on-street parking.
Definitely high on my list of places to go to for great Mexican food.

1 Thank The_Don_Francisco