“JW Marriott laggard”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“JW Marriott laggard”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I have stayed at many JW Marriott hotels in varied destinations. We've stayed at the Cherry Creek (Denver) location three times and have been consistently disappointed in that particular JW. For instance, during this last four night visit, an unidentified VIP was arriving and the hotel staff locked out the elevators of floors 8-12. We were on the 8th floor and weren't notified that our room key was to be required to take the elevator to our floor. At our inconvenience, we had to have our card keys reprogrammed to allow access to our floor. After three attempts, the front desk staff couldn't get it right and we couldn't get functional keys made for hours. We were staying in one of the premier, mountain view rooms, but were treated like second class security risks due to the unnamed VIP. Hey, if you don't want my non-famous business, say so up front. We also arrived to find the previous occupant's dirty laundry in one of the drawers...nice! On day two, a housekeeper who didn't understand our native English allowed us to enter our room without checking for an ID or a room key. My wife retrieved her iPad but she could have easily been a thief. Sorry service and poor customer service. Shameful for the JW line.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank K9safari
Nick W, General Manager at JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience at the JW Marriott Denver. First of all, I am truly sorry for all the incidents that occured during your stay. This is not the level of service I expect to deliver and this is not the level of service you should except. Our team takes your comments very seriously and although we never like to hear when we have fallen short of exceeding your expectations we need to know so it won't happen again. Your business is extremely important to us and I am sorry we failed to deliver a flawless stay. Please contact me directly at the hotel as I would like to discuss this further with you. Thank you again for your honest feedback.
Jan Lucas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Olathe, Kansas, USA
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed two nights recently and had a great time in the bar, club lounge, nearby restaurants and mall.
Of all the Marriott, Marriott Resorts and JW's (and other Marriott brands), we have stayed at, we could not think of any of these hotels that had a 7 day a week open club lounge. Not only that, but the food was plentiful. Pancakes in a club lounge? Yes, they had it here.
The staff were friendly and very helpful and seemed very interested in how our stay was, always asking if they could help us plan our outside of the hotel activities as we had no concrete plans. The valet staff were always helpful, our check-in was easy and the gentleman who checked us in took time to find a room away from elevators/stairs, etc. The club lounge staff were great, too. The bar staff were also friendly speaking to them for a few hours as it was slow before the Friday 5pm rush. We did not try the main restaurant, but went a block away to Elways, then the Cherry Creeker (?) for burgers the next night.....best meal all weekend!
Overall, the room was very clean as was the bathroom, but the shower head seemed to be a water-saver and didn't have much pressure.
We used the spa on a Saturday morning. The spa is below average, but note, it is not part of the hotel, but a seperate spa all-together, though connected. You can charge to your room bill though. Downfalls were the relaxation area was right in the middle of a busy hallway so everyone seemed to look at you as they passed and well, a below average massage. It wasn't very relaxing.
Our only complaint would be as we checked out, we were in a hurry and using Marriott Rewards Dollars. At check-out, we were told our rate did not qualify for the Marriott Dollars and he bumped our rate up to the next available rate in order for us to use them. I know this was night right, but since we were in a hurry to catch an earlier flight, we went along with it. We travel for work or pleaure nearly weekly and have never been told this. With more time, I would have pursued.
Minus the spa and check-out experience, I would suggest this is one of the better JW's. Staff, hotel and location to nearby shops and restaurants. We will definately stay here again when in Denver.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Nick W, Manager at JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear MelandRichRen,

Thank you for your kind response. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us for the most part, but I do apologize for the issues with the spa & checkout process. Thank you for bringing them to my attention so I may look into them further. Please contact me personally in the future and I will do my very best to ensure your stay goes as perfect as possible. I am sure I can make it up to you. Have a wonderful day!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We had an amazing experience at the JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek and we HIGHLY recommend this hotel to visitors to the Denver area. Excellent customer service begins the moment you arrive at the JW Marriott - the valet service is wonderful, guests are encouraged to relax and let the valet and bell staff worry about your bags and your vehicle. You have easy access to valet vehicles, but it doesn't even matter, because so many great restaurants and shops are walking distance from the hotel. Cherry Creek Mall, dozens of restaurants, coffee shops, and boutiques are moments away and the neighborhood is safe and welcoming. This is an amazing place to stay. Every JW Marriott staffperson is knowledgable about the area and can help you decide where to go for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack. Visit the JW Marriott - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level with a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Buffalogirl41
Nick W, Manager at JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Buffalo Girl,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!!! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the Cherry Creek area in general. It is certainly a hidden gem for out of towners. Hopefully we will see you again very soon. Have a fantastic day!!!

dtw
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I would have given this hotel 5 stars but I kept having to get my room card re-keyed. I know not to place it next to my cell phone so it must be very sensitive. I couldn't get into the gym and I couldn't get up to my room since you need to insert your key when staying on the concierge level. Other than that, I loved the hotel. The Kitchen restaurant in the lobby has an outdoor fire pit and loads of ambience. You're right across the street from the mall and the rooms are comfy. I've stayed at plenty of JWs and this one is among the top. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank leondrataylor
Nick W, Manager at JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Leondrataylor,

Thank you for review. I wanted to apologize for the issues you exprienced with your room key. Please let me know the next time you are coming to the hotel and I will do my best to ensure this does not occur again. I am happy you enjoyed the Cherry Creek area. It truly is a fantastic part of Denver. Have a wonderful day!

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I travel a lot, at least every other week, all over the country. My company's Denver office is in Cherry Creek. I always try to stay at the JW when I'm here. Besides being conveniently located to office in the incredibly hip CC area, the service and rooms are just spectacular. All the staff, and particularly the front desk and concierge lounge. Ken Trumball is the consummate front desk associate - we connected on my first visit and he always remembers me and engages in discussion. He introduces me to co-workers, and then THEY remember me. Really, it is those little things that make a difference. Workout room is among best I have ever seen, and the bar is awesome. Only gripe - the business office computers. They are slower than the 286 processor one I had in college.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RunswithBeer_12
Nick W, Manager at JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the great review and recognizing the staff's efforts and specifically Ken. We appreciate your loyalty to the JW Marriott Cherry Creek when you travel to Denver. Hopefully we see you again very very soon.

Utah
Reviewed 21 March 2012

If Marriott wants to know how a Marriott SHOULD be run they need to stay here. Top flight service as well as all the amenities. Even the prices at this location are reasonable by comparison to some of their sister properties. The work out room is excellent as is the room service. I got really hooked on their creme brule oatmeal, just a little sin with your health food. I even stayed here with my wife on the road once and it was likewise a great experience. If you're going to stay in the area this deserves top considerations.

Room Tip: higher non smoking floors and rooms that don't connect (preferred the dead end of a hallway non...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dcisive
Nick W, Manager at JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Thank you so much for your kind remarks about our hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed all of our amenities. Come back soon for some more oatmeal. Have a wonderful day!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I visit this hotel frequently and have always had wonderful experiences. It is in a perfect location to enjoy the Cherry Creek downtown neighborhood. Extremely convenient to great restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: mountain view rooms are an added bonus
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jodi H
Jodi,

Thank you for posting such a nice review for the hotel. We appreciate your business and loyalty to the hotel. Hope to see you soon!