“One of the best B & Bs I've ever stayed at” 5 of 5 bubbles

Patterson Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fort Collins, Colorado
“One of the best B & Bs I've ever stayed at”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We recently stayed at the Patterson for a romantic getaway. The historic home is grand, beautiful and made us feel like we had stepped back in time. The rooms, all decorated differently, are gorgeous and very high end in decor and amenities. The steam shower rocked! The bed was heavenly and luxurious, making us sleep late in the morning. Our host, Susan Osthoff, was incredibly gracious. It was a slow evening when we arrived, and she showed us around the entire house, peeking in on the vacant rooms, then set us up in Maggie's Pub in the basement with complimentary wine and nibbles. This immaculately restored establishment, friendly host and great breakfast menu will bring us back. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Denver.

Room Tip: There are nine rooms, all with a different theme but all immaculate and well appointed. We were in...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

This ended up being such a gem of a find! Perfect location that is walkable to downtown. The room (we stayed in Antoinette) was beautiful and plenty big and the bed was very comfortable! The Inn staff was very nice and helpful. We enjoyed both wine hour and the breakfast buffet. This will be our new home in Denver when visiting family.

There was one tiny little negative…. the shower head for some reason didn't spray the water, it basically just poured out of the head. Plenty of water pressure so I'm not sure why there was an issue. Shower was still comfortable, but could be improved with a different shower head.

Room Tip: I suspect they are all very nice. We were next to the entrance so you could hear when people came...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

The building is gorgeous, perfectly suited for fall décor! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The wine hour is a nice added touch. I stayed in the No. 9. The room itself is fairly small, but the bed is large and extremely comfortable, and the bathroom is huge. So, if you're more interested in a hot bath in a claw-foot tub before climbing into bed than you are in in-room yoga, No. 9 will do nicely. One note - if you're looking to work the chair is way too low for the desk, but the eating area and downstairs bar/guest area are good options. Breakfast is a combination buffet and made-to-order, both excellent quality. The cinnamon-bacon waffles were definitely the highlight for me. The combination buffet/service saves leaving the table stuffed after some of the huge meals at other B&Bs, but keeps the personal touch and quality that, to me, set B&Bs apart from the hotel experience. And if you're into a huge meal, there's more than enough to satisfy! Extra bonus: it's a stop on the local ghost tours if you like a place with history!! Location is pretty central - 15 minute walk to 16th street mall and perfect if you like to wander and explore historic neighbourhoods, parks, or the jogging/bike paths.

Room Tip: Might want to avoid the very top floor if stairs are an issue - the elevator only goes to the second...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

My review will differ a bit from the others, and I'm not sure I should even post this. When we pulled up, my husband got excited over the appearance of the building. I felt dread and apprehension looking at it, strange, right? The interior is gorgeous, the breakfast was delicious, the innkeeper was nice, but not very friendly. We stayed in the Library on the first floor, which is beautiful. When we entered the building, I had a "breathing attack" of some sort. I couldn't catch my breath! I had to sit down, and the innkeeper just looked at me as though I was crazy. It wasn't from elevation. I was fine outside, and we had just come down from 12,000'. It took several minutes to pass. It did not happen again. The entire time there I felt uneasy. I couldn't make myself go downstairs to the area they have made into a "TV" room/future bar. It was an overwhelming feeling of uneasiness by the staircase. I love to explore B&Bs in which we stay. I did not feel comfortable. I went upstairs to the 2nd floor. There is a winding staircase to the 3rd floor. It made my hair stand on end. I knew nothing about the history of the place until I went home and read about it online, and got a book written about it. It was also featured on one of the ghost hunting TV shows. If you like this kind of thing, you may enjoy The Patterson Inn. I enjoy these types of things, but didn't enjoy my stay very much. A shame, because it is a beautiful place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had our wedding reception at the Patterson Historic Inn in June and it was the most wonderful event. We got married in Vegas, but wanted to have a celebration with our family. The Patterson Inn was the best decision we made, other than deciding to get married of course.

We rented the entire venue for the weekend, which allowed the majority of our families to stay there and get to know each other. By the end of the weekend our families had bonded and didn’t want to leave the Patterson.

Because the Patterson has so much built in character and has been beautifully remolded, we didn’t have to spend much on decorating. The venue is gorgeous and our guests loved it.

The staff was great to work with during the planning and flexible with details. They went out of their on the day of the event to make sure everything went off without a hitch. But mostly, they relieved all my stress as a bride that day.

The morning after our event at breakfast (which was fabulous) my father in-law informed us that it was “the best wedding reception he had ever been too, hands down”. I think that says it all. We would highly recommend the Patterson Inn to anyone for an event or just a night away. It’s truly a magical place.

Room Tip: Prague, Cheshire, No. 9 and Gusteau are AMAZING!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed at the Patterson from Aug. 14-21. Had a wonderful time! The location was perfect for us. Our room was on the first floor and suited our needs perfectly.

Breakfast was very good - varied a bit depending on who was working that day (e.g. freshly prepared or waiting on a hotplate). The granola, fruit and yogurt was just fine for me; my husband prefers a hot breakfast and he was not disappointed.

We also enjoyed happy hour in the "pub" and the information shared about the history of the place.

Parking is limited, as with another B&B we stayed in previously in the area. A couple of times we had to park in the lot a block away, but the Patterson has two spaces there which are very well marked.

Would certainly stay here again. Two thumbs up!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mom2Canada
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a luxurious mansion on Capitol Hill. Huge and highly decorated rooms, very comfortable beds, and excellent service. The breakfast is gourmet and the whole experience was superior. The only downside is the limited parking if you are driving. Watch the signs for on-street parking, I got a ticket.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business