“Better under new management: these are pretty serious Syrians!”

Damascus Restaurant
Ranked #685 of 3,125 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: African, Middle Eastern
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We tried it again after a subpar experience about 18 months ago. Well there's a new sign: "under the new management". It turns out the new management was the old management prior to the previous management.

I was grazing so had a lentil soup which was greenish/yellow and I must say it was excellent. Hot and tasty, a house specialty, it lacked a little bit of salt but that was easy to add. My wife had the lamb chops which had texture and taste and was quite good. Our daughter and her boyfriend had the chicken skewer and beef skewer respectively, and both were tasty and served with rice which was good but not great. Fresh green salad came with it. But the best of all was the freshly baked pita bread which I think was the best I've ever had, served with hummus and oil which looked appetizing and tasted great. I filled up on that along with the lentil soup. Desserts were presented in cold case and we split a baklava which was nutty and tasty. Spearminty tea was tasty and refreshing.

Total price was $67 plus tip. Service was attentive and professional, and the nice lady boxed up one of the entrees which was not totally eaten and stored for us in their fridge til later pickup by us later in the evening.

It was hot and that was not so great because the fan didn't work well. They would do well to be attentive to the temperature in the restaurant. That was my only disappointment.

Overall a very good experience...viva Damascus II!!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

There are a lot of choices for Middle Eastern food in Denver but if quality is your judging criteria then Damascus is likely the best. Jerusalem a few blocks awa is the place for 2:00am pick me up after anight on the beer but for quality of food look no where else. Not as busy as in it's prime 20 years ago and so now sadly often empty it means the food is always cooked to order and fresh as can be.
The hummus is the BEST IN TOWN so creamy

Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you like Middle Eastern food, you must try this one. They bake their own bread (ask for fresh one). Their checken shawerma is not too good. Their humus is great, enjoy it!

Reviewed 12 April 2009

I have often enjoyed dinner at this restaurant in the past few years, but lately I'm sad to say that it is going downhill. Serving sizes have gotten significantly smaller in the past few months. They are using smaller plates, at least in my experience. Prices have gone up substantially as well. I was at the restaurant on Saturday night at around 8pm, and the place was almost dead. A couple people came in for takeout orders and a couple tables had people. I asked where everyone was, and was told I had just missed the big crowd, that it had been very busy. Maybe, but it didn't make sense to me because in the past this has often been a packed place on Saturday evenings. I sense they are having problems. My meal was not even as good as in the past. I won't go again. They used to be very good, but now prices are too high for the smaller portions and I can find more reasonably prices places with food just as good or better. This restaurant has lost me as a customer.

Reviewed 3 September 2008

This little restaurant located in a Middle Eastern shopping plaza is delicious and cheap. The hummus is so creamy and the pitas come out warm and fluffy from the kitchen. Absolutely delicious. The dining room is decorated with photos of Syria, beaded lamps and modest tables and chairs. Highly recommended. I eat there at least twice a month!