“Do not miss the pork chop!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rioja

Rioja
Reserve with OpenTable
Rioja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,977 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Overland Park, Kansas
“Do not miss the pork chop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Best pork chop I have ever had. Great service, fantastic food. Highly recommend. Sat at the table connected to the kitchen so I cannot attest to the experience within the dining room.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana
“A disappointment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Had dinner here for my anniversary, read all the good reviews and landed on Rioja. If this is Denver's best, go to another city. Pork belly appetizer was very good but that is where it stopped. Lamb was barely edible and the Risotto with the Scallops was poorly prepared. A good note is the wait staff is very good.

Visited August 2014
“Great food and service - portions were surprisingly small”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Went to Rioja with great expectations. Menu was superb, service excellent and the food absolutely delicious. However we were actually shocked at the meager portions. We have healthy, normal appetites but we were not fulfilled. In particular the portions of the pasta dishes were ridiculous - a ravioli that tasted fantastic had four small pieces in a full serving. Really? The entres were slightly better, but deserts, while also outstanding were tiny. The restaurant is still excellent, but we couldn't give it 5 stars.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Scottsdale, AZ
“A Precious Culinary Treasure in Larimer Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

On our recent visit to Dever, we tour most of the points of interest in the city. Larimer Square has always been my favorite part of town. We were looking for a place to have a light lunch and relax. We review all the restaurant menus along our walk from 16th Street. We read the Rioja’s menu and it looked very interesting, and very creative. We decided to give it a try. We are glad we did. It turned out to be one of the culinary highlights of our road trip of Colorado/New Mexico.

It was a wonderful sunny afternoon in Denver and we chose to dine outdoors. We were cordially greeted by a wonderful and cheerful staff. That was a great start.

We shared the Fresh Bacon, pork belly appetizer. It is hard to find one single adjective to describe this artfully prepared/presented dish. Let me start by saying that my taste buds began dancing as soon as I took the first bite. The words uttered by my partner were: “This is orgasmic”. The pork belly was braised to perfection and served on a bed of cardamom, curried garbanzo pure.The combination of the ingredients was orchestrated to make your palate sing.The breads offering were just perfect with this appetizer. We liked the Lavender Sour Dough bread and the cheese biscuits. I had a bowl of the White Beans Soup.The soup last velvety and delicately flavor, and garnish with a colorful display or speck, tomatoes, carrots, fava beans, and Kale. The presentation was beautiful. I also had the Hand Selected Young Greens delicately dresses with extra virgin olive oil and 25 year old balsamic vinegar.The greens were fresh and crisp, and the vinaigrette was a harmonic accompaniment. My partner had the Colorado Lamb Berger which was served with the house made mozzarella, spicy aioli, and arugula salad.The words he used to describe this burger can’t be share in this writing. Let’s put this way – He raved about it for two days.

We topped our lunch with a great cup of coffee and the Beignets. The Beignets were buttery and flaky, filled with sweet goat cheese and mission figs, drizzled with powder sugar, and topped with a Ruby Port wine reduction. They were heavenly.
I went back to the hotel and googled Rioja and found out the Chef/Owner, Jennifer Jasinski, received the James Beard – Best Chef in the Southwest award in 2013. Congratulations! Your cuisine speaks for itself. Chef Jasinski quote: “I cook from my heart. I cook food I think is interesting and relevant”

Denver, Colorado
“Great food and service too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our group of four came to celebrate a new job. We were seated quickly with a reservation on a busy evening. Our server was welcoming and informative. Each course was a feast for the eyes and the tastebuds. The food was fresh and the presentation was unique. We enjoyed this restaurant and recommend it to others!

• Visited February 2014