“Great stay for cheap”

Ranked #22 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Avon
“Great stay for cheap”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

When I don't feel like splurging on the nearby Warwick, this is a great, clean hotel that is pretty inexpensive! It's pretty low key, so you must make sure to have plans on the town!

I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
HISDenverDowntown, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Denver for your stay! We are glad to hear that you could take advantage of some of our special rates to give you an affordable getaway. We hope that you'll choose to come back and see us again during your next visit!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Upon first glance this hotel is clean, we had 3 rooms and 2 were clean but the room i slept in had food on the floor and the bed had hair in it. housekeeping came and put on new sheets and cleaned most of the food up (it was hard to see as it was between the bed and nightstand). the lobby and breakfast areas were well kept.

the breakfast was on par compared to other Hamptons we've stayed in.

i was there with my sister's family and my parents so we let the kids sleep with their cousins so our kids were mixed throughout the 3 rooms.

my parents room had a very squeaky bed so we put smaller kids in it. BUT my sister's room had marijuana smokers next door and they lit up the whole area around 11pm. my brother in law called the front desk and they said they'd call that room and tell them to stop (THIS IS A NON SMOKING HOTEL) but they did NOT offer to change my sister's room. the smoke was so bad that their eyes were burning and i had a little girl in there so it was VERY upsetting when i found out.

then our girls (15, 12 & 9) got stuck in the elevator for 25 minutes and i know things happen but the next day when we were checking out (i was out of the front desk view) i stayed behind to wait for our car and this gal with long dark hair started to talk bad about us to her coworker and it was embarrassing, she was saying it was our girls fault that the doors wouldn't open in the elevator because they were jumping and she was complaining about us.. i'm not sure how jumping could stop doors from opening & our girls were on the phone with us while they were stuck and they had the service call button on so the desk heard them say they jumped in the very beginning (our girls might weigh 250 all together). i've had poor service before but honestly it doesn't bother me but this was embarrassing as other patrons were nearby and it was unprofessional.

this is a good location for shopping, museums & dining.

there were other issues that my sister's family had but they weren't my personal experiences so i won't comment on them.

the front desk offered me 20000 hilton points but when i said i don't have their rewards program she didn't offer anything else.

i say all of that and end it with the saving grace ~ i left the manager a message and someone from the hotel got back with me. She sincerely apologized (her name was Jodi) and compensated me in a favorable way for our issues. if you look back at my other reviews you will see that i'm not one to make these sort of complaints. poor service doesn't deter me from using a hotel, i'm more concerned about cleanliness and location. due to the manager's response i would stay here again as i'm sure she's resolved the staffing issues.

Room Tip: some may have views. but ours faced a building.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
HISDenverDowntown, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. We're glad your other issues were addressed. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

We were in town for 2 days w our 3 kids. Ages 12, 5, 3. I had booked a room w 2 queens. Didn't really know where I would stick my 3 year old. I thought maybe shed sleep between us. Well they upgraded us to a suite ! I was so happy. I didn't even ask. So my little one was able to sleep on a sofa bed which was a lot more comfortable! Great hotel and location. Very clean.

• Stayed January 2013
HISDenverDowntown, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Thank you for staying with us! Our hotel is perfect for families of all sizes and it sounds like we were a great fit for you and your kids! I hope you had a chance to take advantage of the swimming pool and free breakfast as well during your stay. Next time you come to visit, you may want to try to book our specialty suite with a kids room; this suite has a separate bedroom with bunkbeds and a separate tv just for the kids (as well as another bathroom to help keep mornings easier for the whole family). We appreciate you sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
LONG ISLAND NY
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed over Christmas and had a very nice time. The beds were quite comfortable and the bathrooms wre very large. The studio room was a good size, find for 3. The free breakfast was good and coffee was available all day. Location was good about a 3 block walk to the 16th Street Mall. The only issues were the fireplace in the lobby did not work and the lobby got a cold blast everytime the front doors opened. If you sitting for coffee or breakfast be sure to move away from the door.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
HISDenverDowntown, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday visit - we hope you had a fantastic time in Denver! I'm sorry to hear that you were chilly during breakfast; we usually have the lobby fireplace on to help with the chilly winter breeze but we may have missed turning it on due to our erratic temperature swings from warm to cold through this winter.

Our staff is very pleased that you were comfortable in the studio suite and enjoyed the hotel overall. We hope to see you again soon!
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at the Denver Hampton Inn as a base for exploring the greater Denver area, including the mountains, Boulder, Ft. Collins, etc. I am very happy with our decision.

-Check in/Check out

Our flight was delayed by about 3 hours, so we arrived at around 1am for check in. The friendly woman at the front desk checked us in and we were in our room in no time. Check out was equally painless, and we were of course able to store our bags in a secure room as our flight was not until later in the afternoon. Always a nice touch.

-The room

We had a King room on the 5th floor. It was very nice sized, and very quiet, except for one night when someone was having a party in a nearby room. The staff seemed to take care of that for us. The bathroom is a bit oddly laid out, and does not seem like the most efficient use of space. It's not small, so no worries, but you'll see. Also, there was no convenient place to hang a hand towel near the sink, which is a minor inconvenience. The TV was nicely sized for the room, but did not have an interactive guide. However, few hotels do, and you just have to get used to slowly flipping channels, i guess.

-Location

The location is not bad, just away from the downtown area. It is about a 5 minute walk to the end of the 16th street mall. When it was cold and windy, we wished we had stayed somewhere slightly closer, but it really wasn't an issue most times. There is not much in the way of entertainment or shopping very close by, i.e., less than a block, as the hotel is surrounded by office buildings and parking lots.

-Parking

Yes, they charge $20 for valet parking. Yes, you could be vigilant and find cheaper alternatives nearby or on the street, but I really enjoyed the convenience of pulling up in front of the hotel and just dropping off the keys. Also, when you come down to pick up your car, the staff actually run to go get it! So, it is never a long wait. Personally, the convenience was well worth the small extra cost.

-Amenities

We enjoyed the breakfast every day, which was about average for Hampton Inn. We also used the hot tub one afternoon after snowboarding. The hot tub and pool area are nice and clean, albeit a little small. It was not crowded, though, so not really a problem.

-Negatives

The elevators are really slow. However, with only 6 floors of guest rooms, it did not cause that much of a problem (At other hotels, sometimes you just have to suck it up and take the stairs when the elevator just doesnt come or is full when it arrives). Also, the wifi is essentially worthless. It constantly asks you to re-log in, and isn't that fast. Also, it consistently loses the connection. I gave up on it on the second day and just used my regular data plan. I would suggest doing the same unless you're worried about data limits.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay here, and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MadMaxEsq
Thank you for staying with us at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown! It is great to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and were able to enjoy all we have to offer our guests. You will be very happy to know that we are going through a high-speed internet upgrade right now that should provide faster speeds for all of our guests and our ATT Stay Connected team will continue to support our guests with any issues they have with our internet access. We hope you will come back to see us again during your next visit to the Mile High City!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 1 January 2013

For the price we paid, this hotel was definitely worth it for a night downtown. If you're looking for a full service hotel, then look somewhere else though.

It's a little bit on the edge of where everything is happening and is about a 20 minute walk to the bars, but the area felt pretty safe and well lit. Check-in was friendly enough and quick. The lobby looked pretty nice. Our room was basically what you would expect from a Hampton Inn and was able to hold 4 people perfectly fine. Free internet and the TV had some pretty good programs. Beds were a little firm. Did not have time for breakfast because we wanted to sleep in after partying all night.

Overall I would rate this as a solid 3 star business hotel. On a side note, they would not credit my night to my HHonors account because I booked through hotels.com which had a slightly cheaper rate. I can see why, but it's still a dumb policy. I tried to get HHonors to match it beforehand, but they said they couldn't because the cancellation policy was SLIGHTLY different.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
HISDenverDowntown, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us at Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown. We are pleased to provide our guests with plenty of amenities and services to make them comfortable, but you are correct that we are not a full service hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had some difficulties with booking your reservation via a 3rd party (hotels.com). Hotels.com and other discount channels offer you a reduced rate for a full pre-payment reservation that is non-refundable and cannot be cancelled. So, while you did get a better rate, you do not receive Hilton HHonors credit at any of our hotels worldwide. I am sorry if this was not clearly explained. In the future, I might suggest that you try booking through our website directly; you can find many discounted pricing options and specials with a less strict cancellation policy and that you will receive full HHonors credit for.

Overall, we all really hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and will come back to see us if you are in Denver again in the future. Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn & Suites and being a loyal Hilton HHonors member!
Delta, Colorado
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I had stayed at the Hampton Inn a few years ago and had a good stay so I chose to stay there again. Oh how things have changed over time. The beds are worn out (one was very squeaky and another was shaped like a u so you rolled to the middle), my children got stuck in the elevator for 25 minutes and had to be rescued by the fire department because the hotel did not have an emergency key, and the rooms were not clean. The staff was not eager to help and was overheard talking about us behind our back more than once! We also had neighbors who were smoking marijuana and the smoke was coming into our room. When we called down to the front dest the staff said that they would call the room next to us but did nothing about our room filled with smoke!! I do not normally write reviews but thought anyone thinking of staying at this hotel should be made aware of how we were treated and proceed with caution. The location is close to downtown and the breakfast food was good.

2 Thank Gregg H
Thank you so much for your feedback and cannot apologize enough for your experience. We strive to provide the best in service and amenities and apologize you did not receive that. I understand that someone from your party has recently been in contact with our General Manager and we will do our best to remedy the situation.