“Fantastic hotel needs a bit of fine-tuning”
Review of The Crawford Hotel

The Crawford Hotel
Ranked #2 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Edmonton, Canada
“Fantastic hotel needs a bit of fine-tuning”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just got home from our 3 night stay at The Crawford Hotel. First off, this is a spectacular location. The Union Station refurbishment is nothing short of breathtaking and I think the level of accommodation that The Crawford offers is well on par with it's impressive location. The lobby is loud and bustling but in a exciting way with multiple vibrant restaurants and coffee shops. You wouldn't know it though as as soon as you enter the hallways to where the rooms are, it was whisper quiet. The hotel is truly a refuge in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the heart of the city. It's basically the ideal location if you want to be in the thick of things but with a guaranteed restful sleep. When we arrived to check in, we were informed that our room was not ready (we arrived well after the check in time) but we were immediately offered another room in a lower category (and price adjusted) or $25 off our nightly rate if we waited. We wanted to have the loft room we had booked and were happy to take the discount and wait but I mentioned that our reservation had been paid in full already so he immediately offered to take the $25 per night off our valet parking each day instead. We happily agreed to these fair terms. He proceeded to tell us that as the valet charges were not showing on our reservation yet, to just remember to remind the clerk when we checked out about the arrangement. We waited may about 30 minutes for our room and then they texted us to let us know it was ready. We had room 404 which was a superior loft suite. We were so impressed with the room. The bed was wonderful and the quality of furnishings and amenities, right down to the high end towels, house coats and complimentary toiletries, really stood out. They aren't cutting corners at this place and it is definitely shows. nothing felt "cheap". I took advantage of ordering the turn down service from the iPad. I was only aware of this service from reading previous reviews so I do feel that the hotel staff are letting guests down by not mentioning the things they can access on the iPad when they check in. The turn down service was strange though. It asked me to enter a time I wanted it to be completed but no sooner than 10 minutes after scheduling turn down service to take place over 5 hours later, did a maid show up at our door. We were still getting ready to go out for supper so we didn't answer and she never came back. Seems strange that they even ask for a time if the maid is just going to come right away. We learned to send the request for turn down right as we were leaving for the night. Daily maid service was great though with the exception that on our last morning (we were checking out that day at noon) the maid tried to enter our room to clean it twice. We have never, ever experienced this before where the maid tried to enter our room the morning we were checking out. I was trying to figure out why this would be. It made me wonder if they simply are not supplied with a list of rooms that are checking out that day. Regardless, the overall effect is that it made us feel like we were being "rushed out the door" We even checked out well before the check out time so I'm not sure what the rush was. I don't believe under any circumstances should maid service be trying to access a room before check out time on a guest's last day unless they have confirmed with the front desk that the guest has already checked out. Seems like commons sense to me. The final problem was when we were checking out: the clerk confirmed our valet parking but only for 1 night. I corrected her and explained we had valet for 3 nights but also reminded her of the note that was supposed to be on our reservation noting that we were to have $25 off valet each night as our room was not ready when we checked in. She stared at me like I had made this up and demanded that I give her the name of the staff member who promised this discount to me. I was very pleasant the whole but I felt very insulted to be asked questions like this, implying that I was being dishonest. If i wanted to make up a lie to get a discount, I can promise you that I would have made up a much better story for a lot more than $25 off valet per night. I also take offence to the idea that I need to "sell" out their fellow staff member who was trying to smooth over our hiccup at check in. I'm also wondering how it is MY job to remember the name of the staff member?? She acted like it was ridiculous that I didn't remember his name even though at no time in out stay did ANY staff members behind the counter (including herself) introduce themselves by name. I wonder how I was supposed to omnipotently deduce the name of the person who checked us in? When you have a hotel of this calibre (not to mention for quite a lot of $ a night) I do really take offence to being treated like a criminal. Ultimately she simply left the valet charge as 1 night and then took a further $7 off which would have been the same as 3 nights valet with $25 off each night. All in all, the rooms are great, service and hotel staff seem to need a bit more training and fine-tuning. If these customer service problems are fixed, this will be a top-notch establishment.

Room Tip: we loved our loft room for it's high ceilings although the window was small and very nigh so it...
1 Thank Amber251
Frederick K, General Manager at The Crawford Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Amber,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we agree that the entire Denver Union Station project is spectacular. The exchange you describe with our associate is disheartening and not representative of our service culture and I truly apologize. Please contact me directly the next time your travels bring you to Denver so that I can ensure your stay is perfect. Thanks so much!

Area Managing Director
303.628.5578

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
North Wildwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

All in all "ditto" to most of the reviews here. It was a great room in a great building in a great location to visit Denver and the surrounding area. What I'd like to highlight was how a bad situation was handled so well. On our third night here we were awoken at about 1:00AM by the fire alarm. Seems there was a problem with the boiler and the fire department asked us all to wait outside. For starters, after about 45 minutes I walked down to the Oxford, The Crawford's sister property just a half block away. Tom, the night manager was aware of what was going on. I asked if he would give my wife and I a room there so we could get back to sleep. His reply? Sure, and he handed me a set of keys after verifying our registration online. Wow! When I went back to get my wife the situation cleared up and we were back in our room by 2:00AM. As such I was not able to take Tom up on his hospitality. The next morning we went to return the key and check out to head home. The icing on the cake? They comp'd us the room and parking resulting in a savings of roughly $300! Given the train station and hotel have only been open for less than a month I could have forgiven the blip. However they went over and above anything I could have expected and I think that says all there is to say about this excellent property.

1 Thank JSzulewski
Frederick K, General Manager at The Crawford Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear JSzulewski,

Thank you for your review of The Crawford Hotel. We apologize for the disturbance in your sleep last Thursday, but so glad to hear our night manager, Tom, was able to give you an option that you did not have to partake in. We would love to have you return to The Crawford or The Oxford Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel room hallways smell new. The tablet in the room is a nice touch. The lights in the room takes a little getting use to. The shower heads are nice. The Windows, mirror, headboard and ceiling are tall. There are pocket doors in the bathroom. There is a frig, iron, iron board in the room. The writing pen has a stylist. The writing paper is inbossed. The lamp shade is huge. Thank you from Rita Bennett and Steve Nordstrom from Westminster Colorado

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Rita B - Rita Bennett and Steve Nordstrom,

It is a pleasure to have welcomed you to LoDo from Westminster. Thank you for your kind words and review of The Crawford Hotel. We look forward to your return to enjoy Denver Union Station again and all the exciting amenities LoDo has to offer!

Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in downtown Denver over the years and this is by far the most amazing place I've stayed. The rooms are large, the bathrooms are fantastic and the actual service was incredible. We stayed for two nights and both nights we came back to a turn down service with chocolates, jazz playing, small lights on and the bed turned down, something I wasn't expecting. The front desk staff ran through all of the places within Union Station with us, when they opened and closed and what places were best for coffee, drinks, food, etc. I will happily be returning here for my next visit.

1 Thank Aubrey T
Dear Aubrey T,

Thank you for your review of The Crawford Hotel. All of our retail outlets at Denver Union Station should be up and running by mid September and many new amenities are opening almost daily all over LoDo! We look forward to hosting you on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The Crawford hotel and Union Station are beautiful. We had a great stay. Our room was on the 4th floor and the only window was, well on the 5th floor! The window was so high up all we saw was sky. Okay for one night. The space was small but well apppointed, comfy bed, great bathroom and shower. The staff was great and check in was a breeze. $34.00 to park hurt a little, but parking in Denver is a pain, so it's much easier to give the keys to the valet. The truffles at night with the turndown service were a nice treat for sure. Union Station has a lot to offer food wise, I would recommend "The Kitchen Next Door" especially for their happy hour. The place was hopping and we had great time.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window that you can see out of, it that's important to you. The windows a...
Dear deedeerode,

Thank you for staying with us and your review of The Crawford Hotel. Our loft rooms and suites on the floor, and although with unique architectural detail, they are indeed limited in window space. Our Classic and Pullman rooms have expansive windows, overlooking into LoDo and the train stations. Would love to have you try these types of rooms when you next visit. By mid September, all of our retail outlets should be 100% open. Looking forward to your return!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Crawford is a funky hotel. It is in a great location - inside Union Station. The staff was pleasant although the room was disappointing. I was in a suite which was very small with only one small window. The lighting in the room was not adequate. The bathroom was very nice. As there are many nice hotels in Denver, with nicer rooms that offer a better value, I doubt I will stay at the Crawford again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Frederick K, General Manager at The Crawford Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear WorldTraveler50226,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Crawford Hotel. For your next visit, may I suggest a Classic or Pullman room, as these feature windows with fabulous natural light. Our loft rooms are unique and special, but the architectural constraints from the existing historical building did not allow us to place large windows. Please call me at (303)628-5401 if I may assist you with your next stay to earn your business.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Crawford this past weekend and had a truly lovely visit.

The previous reviews in regards to the hotel being slow at room turnover is true. We tried to check in at 2:45 and our room wasn't ready until close to 4:15. Keep in mind we didn't ask for an early check in, but I feel that them knowing we were trying to check in early it shouldn't have taken an hour and a half. They did offer us another room type, but we really wanted to the one we had booked. But! If you're gonna have to wait for your room you have plenty to see, do, eat and drink in Union Station while you wait.

We had a Classic Deluxe room type. The room decor was what I would call modern vintage/art deco. Nicely done, however I feel that our bathroom needed one more piece of artwork. (Picky aren't I?) The room was really quiet, even overlooking the train tracks. Beds are really comfy!

Book the turndown service! It was great! Truffles, soft music and slippers put out for you.

The staff was very friendly and attentive.

Again, this property has only been open a little over a month and I feel that they are doing a pretty good job. Most of the hiccups came with other tenants in Union Station. (Terminal Bar, Genuine and Stoic and The Cooper Lounge. All three restaurants didn't have their stuff together.)

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to check out the amazing renovation of Union Station, and those who want to stay in the heart of LODO.

Room Tip: The second and third floors have lots windows and light, and are beautifully decorated. Word is that...
Dear coconutshrimp,

Thank you for staying with us at The Crawford Hotel and your candid review. As almost all of our rooms are unique, we do try to accommodate all requests for check in, but we apologize that you had to wait an extra long time to check into your Classic Deluxe room. We would love for you to return and experience our full amenities and the retail partners when everything is in full swing. Please call my office directly and we will be happy to assist you for your next visit!