“Poor housekeeping, close to fire station means poor sleep”

Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 10 September 2013

What would have been a lovely stay at the HGI Denver was sullied by a lot of small things that irritated us during our stay.

Firstly, housekeeping was abysmal. We kept the room reasonably tidy, so it's not like they were busy with other things. I left the room by 8 a.m. every day and returned for 2-3 p.m. and the rooms weren't made up. Two times, we left towels in the bathtub and they weren't taken. We always hung up our bath towels for re-use (per the card left bedside) but they were taken and replaced when housekeeping did bother to replace towels. And while trying to contact Housekeeping to retrieve a left behind item was painful. I realized that I had left an item behind at 5:15 p.m. and called the front desk. The front desk was reluctant to help but I stated that I was flying out the early the next day (I had checked out to stay at an airport hotel) and that I really wanted to retrieve the item on my way through Denver again in the evening. The front desk went looking for the lost item log and my item was not logged on there. Wait four days and housekeeping finally returns my call and, yes, my item was definitely there.

Every night we had our sleep interrupted by fire trucks with sirens going at around 4 a.m. The fire station is on Colfax and they regularly went along Welton Street (which the hotel is on) with sirens blaring. Although the hotel can't change that, perhaps ask for a room that doesn't face Welton.

Valet was friendly, although it always seemed short staffed during the morning peak periods of 8 to noon. The front desk was courteous but also always seemed understaffed during peak periods. The buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant (which was included in my stay due to being Hilton Honors Diamond) was excellent --food was fresh, even towards the end of the breakfast service.

I chose to stay here instead of my conference venue of the Sheraton, both due to my Hilton Honors status and because the Sheraton had mixed reviews. If I had to do it all again, I'd try another hotel. It's a shame, since I will find myself in Denver for business again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
DSBelden, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

I appreciate your stay with us as well as the detailed feedback from your stay. It looks like we had some great successes as well as some service failures during your stay. We will reward what was done well and take the steps to correct the issues you encountered during your stay. Please reach out to me directly when your travel schedule brings you back to Denver. I would like the opportunity to speak with you about giving us another chance!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My business associate and I had to stay for a business show being held at the Convention Center.
What a great experience. Kudos to the Staff. From the time of our arrival to our departure the entire staff was just amazing. So friendly and helpful. Being from out of town we asked a lot of questions and directions and they were always eager to help with a smile.
When we checked in our reservation had somehow gotten cancelled. The young man helping us assured us it was not a problem and took care of it right away. He was so pleasant and made the Check in experience very quick and smooth even though the reservation had been cancelled.
Congratulations on an amazing team throughout the hotel. You don't always get that personal experience in a larger city property.
Please share the Kudos with your staff. We will recommend to others.
Thank you again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay in Denver! I will make sure to share your kind words with the team here and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My girlfriends and I were in town for a Red Rock Concert and we stayed 4 nights in Downtown so we could go out for some drinks on 16th St. It was awesome. We liked the Hotel and the location but the lobby at this Hotel is out of control, anytime we would go down to the lobby or outside in front of the hotel benches you would get hit up for a ride by the limo drivers hanging around in the valet area. One morning I had to wait in line while the drivers helped themselfs to complimentary Guest coffee? REALLY! they should not be in the lobby to close to the elevators and room access. It seemed to me that the valets and lobby were taking kick backs from the drivers and that is why they were hanging out there. Hilton should put a stop to this.

Room Tip: Not the best place to stay for single women or a group of girls. Unsecured Lobby
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gamecock19894
DSBelden, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us as well as the feedback. I apologize that the cab and limo drivers were aggressively soliciting you and your friends during your stay. Our hotel only partners with certain divers to avoid these types of situations and we have a strict policy that none of the drivers we partner with can solicit rides or spend time in our lobby. We do our very best to keep random drivers on the street polite as well (and out of the hotel!) and I am sorry that we were not able to accomplish this during your stay. I will step up our efforts here at the hotel to make sure our future guests do not experience solicitation from these drivers.
Again, thank you for the feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to host you in the future!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Good hotel expensive parking and breakfast NOT included. For the price I did not get what I usually do. It topped $200 per night with parking and breakfast. The place was good, location excellent and the staff was very polite and professional. One treadmill was broken and was invonvenient.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
DSBelden, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for your stay as well as the review. We completely remodeled our fitness center with brand new equipment this summer so I will make sure the treadmill that gave you trouble is inspected right away. I hope to see you back at the Hilton Garden Inn when your travel brings you back to town!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is in an prime location for area attractions such as Coors Field and the 16th Street Mall. The staff were memorably friendly and helpful! Overall a great experience throughout the entire stay elevated our experience in this awesome city!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your stay with us as well as the great review. I'm glad the team was able to make your stay memorable and I will share your feedback with them!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Location - walking distance to restaurants, entertainment. One problem- our room number on key envelope was not the room assigned. When we came to the room number on envelope, door had a "do not disturb sign" - we knocked on the door and a guy in a towel came to the door. He laughed and invited us in. Thanks but no thanks. The front desk verified our correct room. Nothing offered for our embarrassment. The bell staff at door was very helpful with recommended restaurants,etc. Coffee Shop was convenient and good coffee. Room clean with free wireless and plenty of electrical outlets on desk. Laundry located in lower level.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
DSBelden, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay. I apologize about the initial room mix-up and I will check on this to make sure we are not repeating such a mistake in the future. I am glad the remainder of your stay was exceptional and we hope to see you back when your travel brings you through Denver!

Reviewed 31 August 2013

The hotels proximity to the convention center and an easy walk to 16th st was very convenient. The staff were incredible helpful, especially the bar staff. Rooms are average and clean, bathroom is a little tight but you get what you pay for. Overall a good hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your stay as well as your comments about the staff. I'm glad the team was able to make your stay special and we hope to see you back soon!