“Getting Back to I-70 is Confusing | Associates Not Trained to Be Helpful”

SpringHill Suites Denver Airport
Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Was rocky service at the Springhill Suites Denver Airport. First was checked into an occupied room. Second, requested additional pillows and was asked to come to the front desk, upon which I saw three associates behind the desk and one handed me two pillows and "two clean pillow cases." Seemed unusual. Last, I went to the desk to ask about previous confusion I had on the exits from Pena Blvd to Tower Road. The front desk associate told me there was no problem getting back on Pena Blvd to get to the airport. I expressed wonder because I recollected some confusion with the exits. "Nope," was the response. I dropped off my daughter for the red-eye and made it back to the hotel, no problem. The next morning when I went back to Pena Blvd there was no ramp to go south to I-70. I continued west on Tower and there were no signs about I-70 anywhere, from the point at which I left the hotel to where I was now.travelling west and then north. I turned around, called back to the hotel to ask for directions, acknowledged that I was upset and tried to explain that I felt the associate from the previous night missed an opportunity to be helpful by not going on to explain that there are ramps to go back and forth to DIA but not to go south back to I-70. With Pena Blvd being the main route to DIA, and Tower Road appearing to run east and west, it is counterintuitive that Tower Road runs south back to I-70. I don't believe this is well marked or well known. The associate who took my call, Monica, did not seem to be well trained in handling customer service. She took my comments personally and did not clarify what I was trying to say. She wanted me to understand that Tower Road is how to get to I-70, and told me that "you are upset with the wrong person," and she hung up on me. I understand that my comments were strong, but my call was about alerting the hotel to my confusion and suggesting that there be better training to anticipate guests needs, ie if I guest is confused about exits from Tower Road to Pena Blvd., why not take the opportunity to acknowledge that there is indeed an entrance ramp that doesn't exit? I was upset with the situation and not the person on the phone. Its unfortunate to have someone in a Customer Service role who takes things personally. I called the hotel later and left a message for Taryn, the GM, but never heard back. On the other hand, I have stayed at two Residence Inns in the last week and both GM sent email messages asking about the stay. I am a big fan of all the Marriott products, and the DIA Springhill Suites was underwhelming service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Taryn C, Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

It is our goal to provide all guests with superior customer service and a great experience when they stay at our hotel, and it seems that we let you down. We are so sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory experience with our hotel!

Your frustration with the lack of an access ramp to the I-70 freeway is understandable - it is not easy and we do hope that the airport will make this a priority in the coming years. We sincerely apologize that our desk agent did not understand that you needed to get on the I-70 heading away from the airport; it is indeed confusing and we do try our best to give guests as much information as possible if we understand where they are headed.

Our hotel management team is happy to address your concerns - our guests are important to us and we take their experience at our property very seriously! All guest issues are responded to in prompt fashion, and if there was a delay in getting back to you we sincerely apologize. Customer voicemails are responded to right away, and if a manager may not be immediately available by the following business day.

Thank you for choosing to stay with Marriott, and we do hope that you will feel that you can try our hotel again the next time you are passing through Denver to see what we're really made of!

Warm regards,
The Springhill Suites Management Team

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We always stay here a night before our flight out from Denver. Great service, clean rooms, timely shuttle service that runs continually. Also close to many restuarants A cute Diner, Ruby Tuesdays, A nice Italian place, and a few sports bars - within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Canns2014
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was a GREAT option for a layover. A free shuttle to the hotel and a hot breakfast before our flight the next day were bonuses at this great property. We would stay here again! Plenty of room for two couples in the impressive double queen suite.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Taryn C, Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,

The airport shuttle service that we offer to guests is one of the best out by Denver International Airport, and our drivers are some of the most courteous and friendly folks that you will meet! It was a pleasure to host you at our hotel, and look forward to seeing you again!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is the best airport hotel I have ever stayed at. The customer service was amazing. They have A BAR with the nicest bartender ever. Food in the morning was great and tables were available. The room is a great size. I don't know what the one review is talking about that the bed is uncomfortable - it was VERY comfortable, and the pillows were great too. We will be back! I wish I had time to have used the hot tub and workout room....

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It is always great to hear when we have done our best and satisfied our guests! From our spacious studio-style suites to our new lounge appetizer offerings, we hope that guests will enjoy each amenity at our hotel. We hope to see you again the next time you are travelling through Denver!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Great location for a late arrival and you don't want to start driving to final destination; and the same for return to DIA. Shuttle to and from airport is timely. Make sure you schedule your shuttle at the front desk if you if have a very early flight~~I left the hotel at 4:30 AM.

I fly in and out of DIA very often and do like this hotel.

Comfy bed and pillows. Very helpful front desk with check in and out. Quiet. Restaurants nearby.

Only problems I had with this trip were, I did not get my wake up call as requested. Lucky for me, I woke up at 4 AM for the 4:30 shuttle. The other was very minor~ I picked up a cupcake as I was checking in. It said it was red velvet (fave) but later that night as I had a bite, it was not red velvet, but chocolate. It was too late to return to lobby, so I just took it down the next morning and requested they remove it from my bill. No real problem.

Overall a very good room, service, ammenities, etc. Will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2014

As a claustrophobic, I always look for rooms with window that open, and that's how we picked this hotel (as the staff promised, windows opened more than enough to satisfy me). Had a late-night check-in, mid-January and we were happy to find they had a few food items (we had close flight connections all day and hadn't eaten since early morning)--not a big deal but a nice feature. The room was a lovely, clean, spacious suite, and after a week in the jungle and along the coast, it was the quietest, best night of sleep we had. Beds comfy, pillows not bad. Breakfast buffet very nice and open early--a plus. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed one at this hotel before my flight the next morning. I arrived late for checkin and the hotel is a typical looking Springhill and got to room and was like wow with bed! see picture - was tired and late so just said ok since I had a 8am flight. The pillows were worst and seemed to be 10 yrs old and the mattress was worse! I am a loyal Marriott member (platinum premier) and was just so disappointed! Will not recommend and will stay at other marriott properties even if price is higher.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Taryn C, Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

As a regular Marriott guest and frequent traveller, you come to expect nothing but the best from our hotels. As a Springhill Suites by Marriott, our goal is to deliver in every way! The quality of the bed-making in your room over the weekend is not our standard in any way, and we sincerely apologize that it was below our normal excellent presentation. We pride ourselves on offering the best possible to our guests, and have taken this information as an opportunity to coach the newer members of our team. We aim to provide excellence in all facets of our customer service, and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back another time and show you that we can be the best choice for a hotel by Denver Airport!

Kind regards,