“Great place to stay”

Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The Marne Castle is located a short drive from Denver Art Museum and other sights. It is among the friendliest places I have ever stayed at. The host and hostess certainly do their best.

The castle is an interesting historical building with beautiful details.

Rooms vary in size and decoration. I stayed in the inexpensive Melissa's room. It is pretty but small. Clean but small bathroom. The more expensive rooms are larger. Here as everywhere you get what you pay for.

Breakfast is excellent - gourmet really.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

A previous reviewer described our breakfasts as "gourmet by Grandma". We had to laugh, but we are pleased they liked our food. We're glad you enjoyed it as well. Today we had a spinach, tomato and basil quiche. The basil was fresh picked from our garden.

As far as the Melissa room (named after me by the way) is concerned, it is a very small room, perfect for the budget minded traveler. It seems that the guest with the most luggage always picks that room. At least it has a queen-size bed.

The next time you are passing through Denver, call us to make your reservation and we'll try to up-grade you to a bigger room.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. We love hearing from our guests.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We were really looking forward to staying here, but at the time we visited, the flood occurred and we could not make it out of Estes Park. They were very understanding and worried about us. We had no cell phone or land service to call them until the next day to let them know what happened. They were so kind and easy to work with. We are hoping to one day make a weekend trip to Denver and stay there!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments about not being able to join us while in Denver. We are quite touched that you would write a review without even staying here.

When I had not heard from nor seen you that evening I wondered if you might have been caught in the flooding somehow. I left a message on your cell not realizing that the phone towers and land lines had all gone down. Because you had given us your credit card we felt obligated to hold the room for you just in case you showed up. The next morning when you called we were relieved to know you were safe. Sorry your trip was such a soggy wet one. It will take many years for the scars of this epic flood to heal.

It will be a pleasure to finally meet you when you come back through Denver for your weekend get-away.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed with a group of collegues for a company retreat and was lucky enough to stay at this gem! Melissa and her family went out of their way to make us feel at home. We were able to use their dinning room for meetings which was just right for our small group. The castle and grounds are stunning and in immaculate condition. Each of our rooms had a different personality and were so very comfortable and relaxing. Afternoon tea and cookies were just an added bonus along with the same just before bed. Breakfast in the morning was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. This was my first stay at a B&B and I have to say it won't be my last....but my expectations now are set very high!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your Castle experience with other TripAdvisor guests. We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad you mentioned you were here for a business retreat. We are perfect for business meetings and retreats. You can not only get away from the office but you feel like you've just gone back in time. Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

My daughter who has a lot of food allergies was the one who found castle Marne. Melissa and her family went all out to make a wonderful dinner and breakfast to accommodate her. The castle grounds are just beautiful. We stayed in the Presidental suite which had a private balcolony and hot tub. The neighborhood has lovely old homes and great little local restaurant to walk to. We only spent one night but all three of us can not wait to come back to such a warm friendly place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

So pleased you and your daughter enjoyed your evening with us at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast. We try to accommodate as many special dietary requests as possible. We know there are some we are not equipped to handle, but we really try. JIm, my father and co-owner has had food allergies all his life. Because of him we are sensitive to others and how difficult is must be to travel.
We strive to meet and exceed guests expectations when it comes to staying with us. Thank you for sharing your story with our future TripAdvisor guests.

Until we see you three again...

Reviewed 13 August 2013

LONG REVIEW, I know, but worth the read :), I promise!!

It all started with a pair of tickets to see Andrea Bocelli at the Pepsi Center, that my siblings and I had given my parents for Christmas last year. Sort of a Christmas in June type thing, if you will. Well, a few weeks prior to the concert, my mom called and said that she and my dad were just going to get a hotel room, so that they didn't have to drive back to the Springs when the concert was over. I mentioned that I'd meet them to have dinner, drive them to the show and then to wherever they were staying, in order to eliminate the need for them to have to fight the traffic on the way to, and crowds at the show. My dad did eventually find a room, but it was going to be very expensive and was just the "standard" hotel experience. I told my mom to let me do some digging online and that's when I had the idea of a bed and breakfast. After all, they WERE going to see Bocelli...how could you end that experience with a standard hotel room? You can't...well, you can, but I wasn't going to let them!! I didn't search long before I stumbled upon Castle Marne. I reviewed all the comments/reviews and I could find NOTHING that would keep me from booking this room, except the fact that it was sold out. BUT, because I have previous experience in the travel industry, I know that hotels/inn's/B&B's sometimes hold rooms in order to prevent over booking, last minute's, etc. I did call and spoke with a gentleman named Louie, one of the Innkeepers. He was extremely pleasant and said that there indeed was a room that would accommodate our needs - my dad walks with a cane and stairs were not really a good option. It was a room called the Holland Suite. It is on the main floor, to the back of the building and it is actually two adjoining rooms. There is also an entryway in the second room that is an inlet/outlet to the parking area. I had also seen on the website that they love and feel honored to recognize those who have served in the military with a discount on their rooms. This could not have been more perfect, two adjoining rooms, a private entry off the parking lot and a military discount AND I hadn't even seen it yet!! I called my parents and excitedly told them the news and that they should check it out and definitely book it, right away. My mom immediately did so. The day of the concert, we decided to meet there, however, my mom called me to tell me that the parking lot was full and that I'd have to find street parking. I call it "Miracle Parking", because I pulled up and there was a spot right in front of the building that was FREE. I parked, met my parents inside...they were already enjoying tea and cookies that are made fresh daily and served every evening. They proceeded to show me to the room/s. They were wonderful. Delightfully appointed and exactly what Louie and the pictures portrayed them to be. That said, off to the show. We didn't really have too much traffic, but we did decide to eat at Ted's Montana Grill at the Larimer Square location and parking there can always be a little tricky. But, again, "Miracle Parking" prevailed and we got a spot directly in front of the restaurant and it only cost $3.00 for two hours...again, PERFECT. Dinner was running a little long as someone dropped my dad's plate on the way to the table, but another order was rushed to us and we got it in time to not have to shovel the food down and run to the show. But, as the dinner was ending and the show approaching, I started feeling a little down that I was going to miss it. So, my mom and dad gave me some $, (for all the trouble I had gone to so far) and said that I should try to find someone who was selling a ticket at the venue. Off we went, and as the night would have it, as we were pulling in, we found someone who was selling a ticket for $60!!! $60 for BOCELLI...the magic of the Castle was not near over! I was able to park in the media parking lot because that's where handicapped parking was being facilitated. Once inside the arena, I quickly found my seat and low and behold, although it was quite a ways up, the seats next to me, on either side were empty...bliss!! The first part of the show was incredible, as expected and at intermission, I went to find my parents and it turns out that they were right below me! The second half of the show was even better than the first half and at it's end, we concluded that the entire night had been magical....we blamed it on the magic of castles. We then headed back to Castle Marne and found it lit appropriately, but quiet and that was a nice change from what we may have encountered at a standard hotel. The beds were super comfortable and there were plenty of towels, etc in the bathrooms, which were clean and charming and there was MINIMAL noise from being near the parking lot. The morning brought freshly baked bread, orange juice, coffee, huveos rancheros - (some of the best that I have eaten and being that Mexican is my favorite food, I was delightfully surprised) and fresh fruit. And Bocelli was the meal's conversation among all the diners there....yes, you actually sit at a large dining table with other travelers. It was really fun. Upon checking out, Louie gave us a mini tour and history of the building and of the ones surrounding it...I had no idea that The Father Dowling Mysteries, starring Tom Bosley, were filmed at a building across the street. The grounds were beautifully kept and I wished that I had been staying a few more nights. The castle really takes you back in time, late 1880's and you really do feel like you are sleeping, eating and experiencing that time period. The staff could not be friendlier and we decided that we will be back to let the magic continue on for the next adventure. You would be doing yourself, family, friends, or whomever you are traveling with, an injustice to not stay at and experience the real magic of the castle. It really was THAT great!!

Sorry the pictures are out of order...they weren't taken or uploaded that way, but they represent, all the same.

Room Tip: If you have a handicap traveler with you and need two rooms, CALL and ask for the Holland Suite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

What a morning that was, you and about 4 other couples had all attended the same concert! The breakfast table was a buzz with excitement over the fabulous event. Thank you for sharing your "Castle Magic" stories. Our family has always believed in the Castle's magic and we're thrilled you tapped into it too. On behalf of the family, we look forward to having you and your folks back again soon. There is much more "Castle Magic" just waiting to be called.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Beautifuly restored Victorian home. The style was over the top, with out being stuffy, We had a wonderful two night stay in the John T Mason Room. The room was large and clean with lots of light. I felt right at home wondering the common areas. Breakfast was delicious, and fun. Guest sat together in the dinning room and the family told us the history of home. When our stay was over I felt like an old friend of the Peiker family , who would gladly stay with them again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your gracious review of your visit with us. Jim has many more stories to share with you the next time you come back. Ask him about how he and my mom, Diane found the original photos of the Castle. Copies now hang in the Castle showing what it looked like 125 years ago.

Remember, you arrive as guests and leave as friends.

See you back soon,

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were here twice during our 'Mom and Daughter' 8 days of exploring Colorado. Our first night and the last 2 nights. Castle Marne is in a cute area of Denver and minutes from LoDo, the Denver Zoo and walking distance to wonderful restaurants. The family is absolutely charming. 3 generations that obviously care very much about the home and their guests. The rooms are quite large and comfortable. The gardens are just beautiful. The breakfasts are great! They always have suggestions for everything from day trips to restaurants. They are so accommodating from the tea and cookies in the afternoon to late night snacks laid out. It's a very special historic home. To me it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: Each room has it's own character and each is cuter than the next.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

We are thrilled you enjoyed your two stays with us while you were traveling the state of Colorado. Glad you took advantage of the Castle at the beginning and at the end of your trip. Denver is a great city to explore and a stay at the Castle a great way to relax after a grand tour of the state. All three generations of the Castle family appreciate your review.

On behalf of the whole "fam damily" remember you have a "home-away-from-home" at the Castle while traveling through our fair state.