“Shabby Chic” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
The Villages, Florida
“Shabby Chic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My two sisters and I, and an adult niece, stayed at this highly-rated and well-located B&B ~ some of us for three nights, some for four, some for five, and I stayed for six. My two sisters and I stayed in the ground floor Holland Suite for the first two nights. This suite consists of a queen bed in one room and a double bed in an adjoining room. I do not recommend this suite! The queen mattress was old, thin and lumpy ~ you could easily see the dead springs before you got into the bed. All the pillows were terribly hard and flat. The toilet and shower were in a tiny closet, and the sink was in the main bedroom, completely blocking the door to the other bedroom when it was in use. Although the temperature was in the eighties (and nineties in the days before), there was no air conditioning in either room. Street noises were disturbing. Sleep was impossible. We were assured that the two window air conditioners that took up all the space in the only closet were going to be installed that day. They weren't. The furniture was sparse and looked like Goodwill castoffs. We were moved to the Conservatory and Tower Rooms after the first two nights. These were more comfortable, but the Tower Room bathroom was down a public hallway.
On the plus side, the different breakfasts everyday, cooked by Melissa, were a gourmet treat, and got us off to a good start for our day trips around the Denver area. Afternoon and evening tea with homemade cookies is a nice touch. Castle Marne arranges for limo service to and from the Denver airport for $66 each way, which was helpful since we were all leaving on different days. The side garden was beautiful. Our hosts were extremely pleasant ~ but I suggest they try spending a night in the Holland Suite!

Room Tip: All rooms, except the Tower Room, are small with no room to put your luggage. Do not stay in the Ho...
Green Features: As with all of Denver, the Castle Marne is very environment friendly. There are warnings behind every bathroom door to take short showers and not to flush the toilets too often.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bonnie C
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your review. Clearly we've fallen down on the job. Please accept a refund of the two nights you stayed in the Holland Suite. We will address everything you pointed out. It is important for us to hear the areas we can improve on as well as those we shine at.

Give us a call as soon as you see this message so we can make amends. 303-331-0621. On behalf of the family and staff of Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast we appreciate your review.

Sincerely yours,
Melissa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My first visit exceeded my high expectations of this charming oasis in every possible way. The owners and staff wrote the book on hospitality. This historic gem is a must stay while in Denver. The owner (Jim) is a true gentleman who shared wonderful stories about the place as I sipped afternoon tea. I have seldom felt so welcome in my travels. The breakfast food, service and conversation with fellow guests went on well past the last muffin in the basket. Check out the scrapbook and the jigsaw puzzle in progress in the parlor and take a nostalgic journey into yesteryear. For an unforgettable experience, accept Jim's invitation and become part of his family for a while.

Thomas T

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Tom, what a gracious and lovely review. We are touched and pleased, thank you. It is guests like you that remind us of why we do what we do. It is our pleasure to share our stories, bake our family recipes and share our home with people from all over the world. We often say amongst ourselves that our guests arrive as guests and leave as extended family. We are blessed and grateful for all of you. Thank you for finding us and sharing your experience with future TripAdvisor guests.

On behalf of the entire family,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Castle Marne for a weekend getaway. I stumbled across it on Google, and am so happy to have found this little gem! They truly specialize in romance, whether it be 100% planning and hosting an intimate wedding ceremony, honeymoon, anniversary, or like us, just a relaxing "date weekend" getaway. The second evening we were there, we smiled to see white rose petals strewn across the lawn from a wedding ceremony that was held in the garden that afternoon. The building is a wonderfully restored historic castle, complete with stained glass windows, old-world style craftsmanship in the woodworking, and Victorian decorations. The innkeepers are a delightful family with three generations hosting their guests. Breakfasts were not only delicious, but exquisitely presented. And as we came back in at night after our day's activities, there were warm cookies and tea set out for us in the sitting room. We stayed in the Van Cise room, which has its own private balcony with hot tub overlooking the garden. The room was quite comfortable and charming. The bathroom is roomy, and has a vintage claw-foot bathtub with shower. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. And even though they were hosting a full house while we were there, we heard almost no noise from our fellow guests. As far as pricing, after looking at what was available for "romantic Denver hotels," this was priced on the lower end of average for comparable rooms. It was the kind of place that made us wish we could stay for two weeks instead of two days.

Room Tip: A few of the rooms have private balconies with hot tubs, highly recommend! The Van Cise room overloo...
Green Features: I can't be specific, but they have certificates posted for "green" awards that they have earned.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a lovely review, thank you for sharing your experience with future TripAdvisor guests. We are thrilled you had such a lovely get-away weekend and found us on "google". It seems like we're the best kept secret in Denver.

Glad you mentioned the wedding that had just taken place prior to your coming back for the evening. It was a lovely small celebration, just close family. The bride was beautiful and the groom very handsome. They enjoyed a romantic candlelight dinner for two in the private dining room as well.

Please remember to treat yourselves to another date weekend here at Castle Marne. Let me know if you'd like to plan a renewal of vows complete with the bouquet, cake for two and elegant private dinner, just the two of you.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful summer,
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very friendly staff, comfortable, and breakfasts were great. This stone, historic B&B is a fun place to stay in Denver if you like "stepping back in time to the late 1800's!"

Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My sister and I stayed in this cool B&B for 2 nights after visiting Colorado for our nephew's graduation from the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. We headed to Denver after the graduation to relax and regroup. We loved Castle Marne! We both love anything historic, and loved this step back into time! We shared the Tower Room, which was large and very comfortable! The breakfasts were hearty and delicious! The Innkeepers and their family were friendly, accommodating and enjoyable! We had the added bonus of beautiful weather, so were able to enjoy the front porch swing, garden and outside amenities. It was a very pleasant stay, and I would highly recommend this B&B for your visit to Denver!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor. There are quite a few flights of stairs to climb, so need to be in goo...
Green Features: We were impressed with this B&B environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Donna B
Thank you for choosing to stay with us following your nephew's graduation from the Air Force Academy. We are pleased you enjoyed your two days in Denver stepping back in time, sitting on the front porch swing and enjoying our delicious breakfasts. It was our pleasure to see to it that you had such a great time in Denver. Please come back and see us again soon.

Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in April for the Molly Brown House Titanic dinner and stayed in the Van Cise room. Everything about our stay was incredible, from the extremely helpful and friendly inn keepers to the other guests that were staying with us!

Every year my boyfriend and I make a point to do something honor my mother's memory on her birthday. This year (2014) I believe was the best as she always wondered if "the beautiful stone home off Colfax" would ever get restored. I am sure part of her was with us on this weekend and was delighted with how lovely the Castle Marne is today!

Thank you to the Peiker family for keeping this Denver landmark beautiful! We will be back to visit again soon!

PS The romance package roses were still going strong for over a week after our stay!

Room Tip: If you are traveling in warm weather months spring for a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
I wish we could have met your mother. It seems as though she knew the Castle before it was renovated. We like to think the Castle brings people here for a reason. Perhaps you are right and she was here with you enjoying afternoon tea, late night cookies and the delicious breakfast.

Thank you for mentioning the Romance Package. Aren't those roses about the most beautiful flowers you've ever seen? I love our bouquets of roses!

We consider our time with the Castle as a gift and a privilege. We are merely caretakers of a precious historical landmark and it is our pleasure to care for it and open it up to thousands of guests every year. Thank you for coming. Come back again and be sure to invite your mother along.

Warmest Regards,
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This was a solo one night stay for a busy local mom as a treat getaway. What a wonderful experience it was! Of all the places I have stayed in (and I have traveled extensively for work and pleasure), the staff at Castle Marne was the most welcoming and helpful with references to neighborhood restaurants, etc. If you appreciate history of places you stay in, make sure you look at the scrap book displaying the renovation pictures, newspaper clips, etc that is by the fireplace in the common area. Breakfast was delicious and I was lucky to share it with very interesting people from all over the U.S. Overall, I had a great experience and had that feeling like I was staying at a friend's house. This is not a mainstream, hotel like place, but rather a very special, home like and welcoming B&B. The location is also great. DMNS, Denver Botanical Gardens and Denver Museum of Miniatures, Toys and Dolls (I visited the latter for the first time and I live in Denver) are all within walking distance. Highly recommend this place!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your lovely review of us. it was a pleasure having you join us the other day. I wish more ladies would treat themselves to a quiet retreat in the city.

Since your visit I've been thinking about a package called something like "Just for Me" package where it's just you checking in. You enjoy afternoon tea in the Victorian Parlour. A reservation is made for you for dinner at a delightful restaurant where you will not feel awkward dining alone. You come back to the Castle for our own blend of a restful herbed tea and home baked cookies. After a great nights sleep and delicious breakfast you have an appointment for a message at the Message School across the street from the Castle. What do you think? I'd appreciate your feedback on this.

Thank you again for staying with us for your "Just for Me" retreat. On behalf of the family and staff of Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, hurry back soon. Melissa