“Great stay, do it again in a second!”

Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens
Ranked #5 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
iowa
“Great stay, do it again in a second!”
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Beautiful old home with lots of history, very hospitable, room was perfect with a large tv, movies, lavish bath and atmosphere. Came back later for a Murder Mystery and had the time of our lives. Breakfast was wonderfull and service was excelent. Thank you Walt.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed 25 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful mansion for our 4 year wedding anniversary. We found it on the internet, booked the room and drove from Fort Collins not knowing what to expect. As we approached the beautiful building, we were greeted by Julie, the very hospitable owner. She directed us out back, where the murder mystery event was just getting started. The acting was hilarious and it was fun and something totally different than anything we have done before. The dinner was good, and the room we stayed in was gorgeous and clean. We loved the jetted jacuzzi in the room, the flat screen tv with dvds, and the really comfortable bed. In the morning, we had a fabulous breakfast and talked to Julie about the history and events that take place. It was a great little getaway that we will be sure to do again!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
LumberBaron, Owner at Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Thanks ST970,

These are the kind of reviews we live for at the Lumber Baron! We're up very early in the morning, and up late at night making sure we can provide the kind of quality experience that reflects our workload. We're a mom and pop business- the kind that build America. Industry studies reveal the average burn-out rate for new innkeepers is somewhere around four years and I can't believe I'm already approaching 20 years of hosting guests from all over the world. The secret could in fact be the reviews. No, not the reviews on the internet- there's so much anonymity and questionable sources. I'm talking about the reviews that guests write, by hand, in our room journals each night. It reminds me that our world still has gracious, wonderful people and that we're so lucky to have them visit us at the Lumber Baron- guests just like our Fort Collins friends: ST970!!!
Kansas City
Reviewed 29 April 2009

This Inn is a painstakingly restored, historic mansion from the 1800s. The interior public rooms and the bedrooms are lovely. There are currently 3 bedrooms to book. We have stayed here once in the past and enjoyed it enough to return. HOWEVER, be FOREWARNED that the owners also book big events on the same nights that they have guests in the rooms. All 3 guestrooms are on the 2nd floor. The event space, the Ballroom, is on the 3rd floor, directly above all of the guestrooms. As this is a very old home, all of the floors are hardwood and there is no soundproofing. The only way for the crowd to get to the event is to climb a grand wooden staircase and then walk (or run) down the wood-floored hallway, right past all of the doors to the guestrooms and up a second wooden stairway to the Ballroom above. On the night that we checked in, Tuesday, April 28, 2009, into the Valentine Suite, the owners had booked a high school Prom-type dance for the night. The dance was from 7:00 until 11:00 pm with a DJ and loud Disco music. You can imagine the noise level with dozens, if not over a hundred, teenagers directly overhead on a wooden floor dancing and stomping and singing and yelling! There was also a welcome-type desk for the event immediately outside our bedroom door. The attendees to the event were also allowed to be in the hallways and in the public rooms downstairs on the ground floor and outside on the veranda for the entire evening. The din was unbearable and our bedroom was actually shaking. The owner was sitting on the ground floor and fully aware of the magnitude of the situation. We tried to watch a DVD to drown out the commotion, but even with the volume turned up to 72 (!), it didn't help. Finally, at 9:00 pm, we had to leave the Inn and drive several miles to find a McDonald's that was open where we could sit for two hours until we could return to the Inn at 11:00 pm. When we got back to the Inn, the noises of the clean-up crew disassembling the event overhead and carrying everything back outside, down the wooden stairs, continued until 11:32 pm. We can understand, in this economy, why the owners would be eager to book events. I am sure that big events generate much more income than booking the 3 bedrooms. HOWEVER, if the owners book an event on a night where they have already accepted room reservations (ours was required to be prepaid and nonrefundable), then the owners should have a policy where they notify the guests - in advance - and offer the guests the opportunity to choose to cancel the reservation and refund their money in full. It is a shame that the owners do not handle this situation in a responsible and professional manner. We are sad that we will not return to the Lumber Baron Inn as long as this is the way they run their business - knowing that this could happen again at any time.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bkriehl
Thanks so much bkriehl,

I checked on that date and you're totally right. Something for sure went wrong with this night in terms of us not properly warning you of the event, or something. I'm terribly sorry this happened during your trip to Denver and the Lumber Baron Inn. It's true, our specialty is hosting events-and they're not always the quiet variety. This particular event was scheduled to be outdoors on the large flagstone patio- way away from your room and any problems. Questionable weather brought it inside to the ballroom and your night was ruined. You mentioned the policies about canceling, etc, and I'm really sorry we didn't connect. From everything you wrote it seemed like the perfect situation to give a full refund for sure. I'd invite you to visit us again in the future- reference this review, and I'll be sure to make things right for you.
Idiot Out Wandering Around, Iowa
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Waste of time and money. Mediocre food. Sophomoric humor. Boring, poorly paced, Go elsewhere if you're looking for a good time.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MiataGroupie43
Thanks MiataGroupie43,

I myself have owned two miatas and on that level am surprised we didn't gel a little better with you. Casino Night Heist is one of our most popular casino murder mystery dinner choices- but it's not for everyone. Yes, it's comedy driven and we've got an experienced cast of actors that love what they do. Many nights the shows get standing ovations from the audience and based on the increased number of shows we've held year to year since you came back in 2009, we must be doing something right. You mentioned the food and I'm pleased to report that we've upgraded our offering since you attended. We now have chef Julie Keller (my dear wife) cheffing- she's got a culinary degree from the Western Culinary Institute in Portland and the crowds have loved her monthly menu choices- check them out at our website lumberbaron.com. I know this response may be a bit longer than your initial thoughts, but I couldn't help but take the opportunity to invite you back to maybe one of our other "after-dinnertainment" choices, like our regular magic shows, improv nights, or paranormal ghost hunts! Or just come to stay the night on a quiet weeknight- mention this review, and your miata, and I promise to make your stay special.
Colorado
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My husband and I decided to have a romantic weekend so he made the reservations for the Lumber Baron Inn. The night that we choose to stay there was a wedding reception and they told us with anticipation and to make a compromise gave us a bigger room. It worked out perfect for us because our plans were to party all night Downtown and come back later. The stay was wonderful, the room was awosome, clean and very well decorated. In the morning we had our breakfast in bed and the food was delicious. The grounds are just beautiful, in another interesting note check the history of the house, little treasures of history everywhere you look. Enjoy!!!

• Liked — House History, decor and charm
  • Disliked — Few parking
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albuquerque
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I just came back from Denver where I was invited by Regis University to give a talk. They made reservations for me at the Lumber Baron and it was a rewarding, soothing, wonderful experience. The furniture, lamps and polished pianos recreate tastefully a Victorian atmosphere. I couldn’t sleep very well the last night and asked the owner to let me stay in the room past 11 A.M. (the check out time). She was very gracious about it and also had my breakfast ready at a different time than I had originally planned. Breakfast was great (a soufflé like I haven’t had in years) and attractively served. My room happened to be the Valentines suite, with a big plasma TV and an inviting jet tub. Next time I am planning to travel with my husband.

• Liked — The atmosphere and the service
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Denver, CO
Reviewed 13 May 2007

We live in the neighborhood, so while we have known about the Lumber Baron Inn for years, we have never had any reason to stay here.

While our house was being remodeled, we spent one night here to escape the dust. What a great excuse to try out one of the local B&Bs! And what a beautiful place!

Our room was comfortable, nicely decorated, and quiet. The inn is on a pretty quiet street, and we slept well here despite being in a room that overlooked the street and despite being light sleepers.

Breakfast was served in our room, and our only complaint would be that it was a little difficult to eat the food that came in the basket because we had no table. We had to eat sitting on the edge of the bed with our juice glasses and coffee cups on the floor and our egg dishes in our hands or laps because there was no place else to put them.

One suggestion: a tv tray for the food would make breakfast a little easier to manage.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple