“Disappointment and Frustration” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #101 of 154 Hotels in Denver
Kansas City
“Disappointment and Frustration”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I had to make a last-minute trip to Denver due to an emergency surgery for a close family member. I picked The Timbers for the following reasons:

Hospital Hotel Rate and Complimentary Shuttles*: The University of Colorado Hospital discount rate and complimentary airport shuttle, as well as the complimentary 5-mile radius shuttle service that included the University of Colorado Hospital. This allowed me to get where I needed to go without the worries of renting a car and driving in an unfamiliar city.
*Reservations to go anywhere need to be made at least two hours in advance; therefore, early AM transportation should be booked the night before. Airport transportation should be booked 24 hours in advance

For the above reasons and those that follow, I am giving the hotel an average rating.
Front Desk Assistance: Upon arriving, I was allowed to check into my room, even though it was before 10am. The front desk printed my airline boarding pass the night before I was leaving.
Lobby: Nice ambiance and seating around the fireplace.
Room: I had a “small room,” but it was spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. The “small room” does not have a kitchen, but it has a coffee maker, small refrigerator and microwave.
Room/Hotel Décor: There seems to be some attempt at updating the room and hotel decor,
Shuttle Drivers: Mostly, I was very thankful for and appreciated the shuttle drivers who were friendly and went out-of-their way to help me when problems arose that was not their fault.
Manager’s Reception: There is a Manager’s reception, Monday – Thursday; however, I was not able to attend.

For the following reasons, I cannot give this hotel a higher rating:
Shuttle/Front Desk/Management: I understand and realize that rules and time schedules are needed for the shuttle. But in spite of this “convenience,” it is not always convenient. But my biggest problems arose on my return trips to the hotel “when no reservations” were needed. In spite of being told on numerous occasions by the drivers and front desk that all I had to do to get a ride back to the hotel was call, and they would send someone right over; my shortest wait was 35 minutes; the longest wait was over an hour. I even called at 3:30 to arrange for a 6:30 ride back to the hotel because I had a lot to do that evening. However, someone at the front desk put me on the "Stock Show" shuttle instead of the "hospital" shuttle. When the shuttle was 20 minutes late, it took three calls to the front desk to get the error straightened out and an additional 45-minute wait. Additionally, it took the hotel management/front desk at least a day of unusual shuttle demands by the Stock Show attendees, to finally set up a Stock Show shuttle schedule that would not inconvenience the remaining guests, as well as the staff.
Hotel Policy/Front Desk: If there is a free breakfast buffet, no one told me; maybe it's because of my discount room rate. However, I was not even informed of the fact that breakfast was served at the hotel. There was no information in the room, and breakfast is not on the Room Service Menu. The rooms have no coffee creamer. The maids only restock sweetener, so you will need to get creamer from the front desk. However, often there is no creamer at the front desk coffee maker, and, from my experience, often there is no one to be found at the front desk.
Carpeting: Although there seems to be some attempt at updating the hotel décor, the old and bad carpeting stands out and is in desperate need of replacement. I heard that the entire hotel lobby had flooded this past year, but apparently, they did not replace the 1st floor carpeting near the lobby area as it is thin and buckling in places. The 2nd floor hallway carpeting is very dirty, and the carpeting in my room was frayed all the way across the bathroom threshold, exposing carpet tacks, which I managed to step on even when wearing socks.
Room Service/Front Desk: Room service was not available, at least the night I tried to use it. First, there was a busy signal at every attempt to call, and I called several times. Then the front desk connected me; however, I was immediately put on hold by the Restaurant/Room Service. After waiting on hold for over 10 minutes, I decided to walk to the McDonalds next door even though it had been a long day, and I was exhausted. There was no one at the front desk on my way out to McDonalds, so I informed the attendant of what happened upon re-entering the hotel lobby. Although the front desk attendant appeared horrified, mumbled something like that shouldn’t happen, and looked to be calling the restaurant/room service, I was not offered anything for their incompetence or my inconvenience. A breakfast voucher or even a piece of cheesecake that was on the room service menu would have been a nice way to say they were sorry.

I have worked in a hotel and know good customer service. The front desk at The Timbers rarely offered anything but excuses to compensate for the many issues that I encountered during my stay. In contrast, the shuttle drivers bent over backwards on at least two occasions to try to make “right” any wrongs that I experienced, even when it was not their fault. In summary, there are some problems with this hotel that only hotel owners/management can resolve, but I would say that most of the issues revolved around the hotel staff being unprepared and overwhelmed with the demands of the number of Stock Show guests staying at the hotel. Given the situation, some employees handled the situation better than others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank kcsuzyq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Due to a mechanical airplane issue we ended up with a hotel voucher to the Timbers late on a Tuesday night from United Airline. The airline told us there should be shuttles every 10-15 minutes or so he thought. When we finally found where we needed to wait (I guess they only pick up on one side of the airport when other shuttles pick up on both) we found other stranded travels also under-dressed for the cold weather miserably waiting too. Many had called the hotel and had been told the shuttle would be there in 30 minutes though none of them called at the same time. I was traveling with two small children. By the time the shuttle came we had been waiting in the cold for 40 minutes but no one was willing to go inside for fear of not getting a seat. The van finally pulled up and the young lady driving was completely indifferent to all of us cold, tired and annoyed and about to cram into a too small van. There were so many of us I had to have one of my kids on my lap and some wives sat on their husband's laps. The drivers only comment was "we have had more than this before!" So a history of poor service was admitted. The hotel is about 15 miles from the airport but the shuttle stops at another hotel on the way there. When we got there there was about 15 people in need of help and one person manning the desk. It was close to 1AM. The desk person was not genuinely friendly in any way and seemed annoyed I needed a room that would fit 3 people. I needed to take the 6AM shuttle back to the airport and was informed all shuttles from 4-6AM were full. They also don't offer any food until 6AM. I had to ask the person at the desk how to get to our room because she didn't offer any direction and I had to wake my kids up off the lobby couch to find our way as it was. I had the hotel arrange a taxi for us. I really can't comment on the room too much, we walked in the door at 1:15AM and had to be back in the lobby less than five hours later to catch the taxi. We were all very chilled from the long wait outside and the room was cold. I jacked up the heat and had to get up to turn it down once we warmed up. There was a full size fridge with freezer and kitchen. I used the fridge to keep some medication cold and refroze my icepack but didn't use the kitchen otherwise. The "taxi" that arrived eventually was called American Signature Limousine. I said I didn't want a limo, I wanted a taxi, and it was just a run of the mill four door black car, without any taxi info on the outside. We then had to pay $45 to get back to the airport late. Also when we entered the lobby in the morning there was no one at the front desk. I went outside to double check the taxi wasn't out of sight since it was late and suprised the front desk person who was standing off to the side smoking a cigarette. There were other people waiting at the desk for help when she went back in. It was a different person that checked us in.
If you have the option of going elsewhere, pick somewhere where the staff actually cares and is helpful and professional. I tried to contact a manager via the contact emails on their website and both email addresses bounced.

Room Tip: Pick a hotel with better staff.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank amybean
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Though the property is in need of some updates, the room was exceptionally large (larger than my apartment) and the complimentary breakfast buffet quite generous. Great location just off I-70 and convenient to both downtown and the airport.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My son and I feel so uncomfortable in regards to safety! We just got out of the hospital and waiting on our flight tomorrow people around us are in and out of their rooms, slamming doors, loud just being so rude....some room has a dog barking too. Upon check in the front desk was rude. Beds are good but room cleanliness sucks! Never ever would I recommend this hotel thank god I never have to be here again.lobby and cafe are beautiful and deceiving...

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Spicers05
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

The Hotel is Ok. At the reception, we receive service in French. But avoid the restaurant. It's the worst service in my life and the waitress don't think is important to clean tables. I stayed there 40 minutes without service.

Jacques L.
Québec City

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaccri1
Colby, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Finding The Timbers is very simple, being just off I70 and a main street (Peoria). Parking was easy and convenient. This is where the praise ends. The front desk lady was very inhospitable while we tried to check in with our priceline reservation. After finally jumping through all her hoops while see simultaneously conversed in an unprofessional manner with a male co-worker, we were given keys to our room and sent upstairs. It was an extremely long trek to room 261 through hallways with tall ceilings and rustic cabin decor. Our room was freezing cold when we walked in, 62 degrees I believe it was. We turned the tiny window style heater up to 74 and it ran continuously the entire time we were there attempting to get the room up to a bearable temperature. We immediately called the front desk to ask about maybe sitting in the hot tub until our room heated up but were informed that there was not hot tub or pool. Even worse there was no bath tub either, only a shower. Everything was clean and tidy which was commendable. The room was rather small and lacking anything above and beyond the ordinary. The bathroom was overdue for renovation as the ceiling, shower tile and baseboards looked like they had been through years of neglect. The pillows and the bed were comfortable and we slept well. The room was void of smell which is always a plus. Overall it was a decent stay for the price we paid. A few details and the experience with this hotel could easily have been 3 or even 4 star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby. The walk to our room (261) was honestly a jaunt.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Benflyin
Campinas, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed just 1 night because my flight was cancelled and the airline company provided me this room.

I arrived late at night and just slept, but the size of the room impressed me. A king size bed, a large bath tube, a small kitchen with all appliances, a sofa in front of the TV and also a desk for using computer. Everything in the same room.

The bathroom was small but comfortable with a nice set of toiletries.

The guy in the frontdesk didn't tell me the shortest way to my room, demanding me a large and unnecessary walk.

The breakfast was good with a reasonable variety of food with a gentle lady cooking eggs.

So, despite a cancelled flight, my stay there was nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business