“Decent place, good for conference but not worth the money”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #63 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Decent place, good for conference but not worth the money”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

At the first glace the hotel has everything that a four-ish star hotel should have, but after staying here for five days (for a conference) I would say given to the price it is simply not a great place. I was appointed a room at the Plaza building. There are six elevators but they are all on one side! Plaza building is very large and my room is at the other end of the building, meaning that I have to walk 2 minutes just to get to the elevator. Of course I don't mind doing some exercise, but rushing between different talks and spent a lot of 2 minutes to get to the elevator just isn't great. The WIFI is *awful*, almost every hour I have to struggle for 20-ish minutes to get it work properly. I got complimentory WIFI from the conference, but imagine if someone pay a lot of bucks and get a defunct WIFI... Otherwise it is okay. Good beds, clean rooms. The hotel is located in an excellent place, with a lot of restaurants nearby; the state capitol and Denver mint is just 10 minutes walk. But unless you are coming for a conference or you have a lot of bucks I wouldn't recommend to stay at this place.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room close to the elevator if you stay in the Plaza and you don't want a lot of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The location of the hotel is quite good being right of the 16th Street Mall. The hotel itself definitely shows its' age. The conference facilities and lobby are well appointed. However, the hallways to guest rooms are dark dreary, and many of the room doors need repainting/varnishing. A couple of the lights in the hallway were also burnt out for my entire stay (3 nights). My room was large since it had two double beds, but some of my coworkers had smaller rooms with kings. Beds were good and the hotel itself was quiet at night. Bathroom could have used additional cleaning and showed its age just like the rest of the building. Overall, not a bad choice in downtown Denver, but definitely better options available in the same price range. Probably deserves 3.5 stars instead of 3. I would consider returning only if other options were not available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you are an architecture buff, you'll appreciate the hotel's tower building, an I.M. Pei designed hotel built in 1959. The hotel sits on the 16th Street Mall, an outdoor pedestrian mall lined with cafes, retail stores and historic buildings. The hotel is well maintained and the staff helpful. I was here for business but it would be well suited for families or couples on vacation. I was very pleased with my stay.

Room Tip: For the best chance to get a glimpse of the Rockies, ask for a room on the north side, 17th floor or...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Harry M,
We are proud to offer such a historic building for our guests to experience during their stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rich antiquity of our I.M. Pei Tower building. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We hope to welcome you back to our community in the future.
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Sheraton Denver Downtown is an adequate hotel but could do better. The location is excellent, at the end of the 16th Street Mall with numerous restaurants and shops. Unfortunately, when I asked a bellhop to recommend one my first night there, he would only name the ones in the hotel. My room had a king bed in their Tower Building across the street. The room was small as was the bathroom. There was no suitcase stand. The desk was a rolling table that fitted under a higher table that held the TV. This was a very cumbersome arrangement, especially if I rolled the table out to an open area near the door where it was too far from the hard-wired internet cable. The toilet sounded like a ship's fog horn when I flushed it, so I only did so when absolutely necessary for fear of waking other guests. I slept poorly, which I attributed to the hard bed (though it may have been the altitude). In any case, in the morning I asked for a new room and was given one with two queen beds in the main building, called the Plaza Building. This was a far better room with lots of space and a desk next to the internet cable, though it also had wireless. The wireless worked intermittently, taking a long time to recognize my laptop. Once it did, it was fine but I had to repeat the long wait every time I needed to restart the laptop. Two positives: the rooms were quiet at night and the elevators always arrived fairly quickly. The hotel has a Peet's Coffee, a Yard House, and its own restaurant. I only tried the Peet's and it was fine. I have enough experience with the Yard House in my home town to avoid it. The conference facilities in the hotel were very good except again for poor internet. I'd like to give the Sheraton 3 and 1/2 stars but it was definitely not a 4.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with two queen beds in the Plaza Building.
Green Features: The hotel has the usual policy of only replacing towels that you throw on the floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul9876
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My travel partner and I had rolled into town after spending a few days volunteering in Boulder with the flood relief there. We had set up a place to stay in Denver for a few days before heading off to Nashville but those plans had fallen through when we got into town.

It was around 5pm and all of a sudden we had no where to stay for the next 3 nights and we we're tired from all the hard work we had been doing. You see we are on a year long trip around North America doing volunteer work and Random Acts Of Kindness.

With no where to go and nothing to lose I looked across the street and saw the Sheraton. I had actually stayed in the same hotel a year earlier while I was in town for a GALA. I decided that I was just going to walk over and ask if they could help us out since we really had no other options. The thing is, since we're backpacking and technically unemployed we really don't have the spare money to be using on fancy hotels.

When I walked up to the desk I asked to see a manager if possible and the lovely girl behind the desk smiled with a yes. The manager at the time was a man named Vitaliy Foux who turned out to be our hero. I explained what our problem was and if there was any way the Sheraton could help us out. With a bright smile on his face he said "of course!" and quickly checked us in at the friends and family rate. This was still slightly above our budget but given the circumstance it was drastically cheaper than any other option we had. He also ended up giving us free wifi for our entire stay as well.

Without Vitaliy and the Sheraton I don't know what would have happened to Jessica and I. We could have easily had to sleep on the street and I don't even want to think of it. Thank you SO much for your amazing team and I will be referring all my friends and family to your hotels from now on.

Kindness is awesome and everyone could use a little more of it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Calan_Travels,
It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay at the hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that our associates were able to greatly accommodate you in your hour of need. We do hope that if your future journey finds you in our city once again, you allow us to serve you in our community. Thank you for your compliments.
Swanland
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of a National Parks touring holiday. Feeling very jet lagged, it was a joy to have super comfortable beds and a quiet room to get some sound sleep. The hotel is centrally situated for sight seeing but not for shopping if you don't have a car. If you like fast food, there are plenty of outlets on the adjacent 16th Street Mall, but don't expect to find any large department stores in the area.
The pool at this hotel was however disappointing in that it looked rather grubby and uninviting, granted it was late afternoon when I went and it was quite crowded.
The restaurant leaves a lot to be desired. I ordered salmon which was very dry and overcooked. Our order took ages to come and the waiter seemed to have trouble understanding our drinks order.

Room Tip: As far as I am aware, all the rooms are similar. Typical of American hotels, the bathrooms are smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was lucky enough to stay in the I.M. Pei tower at the Sheraton in Denver. I had a great view and was so happy to geek out about the cool architecture!
The location is perfect if you aren't from that area as there is a ton of stuff to do with in walking distance or you can hop on the free mall ride bus to things a little further.
The room itself was great. Everything seemed very new and update even though the building is very old and the bed was super comfortable.
The staff there is great and will get you anything you need. The woman who helped me, Jacki, was awesome! I had a great conversation with her about what to do in the area and she totally hit the nail on the head with the suggestion of a great dinner spot.
Stay here it's great!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the I.M. Pei tower if you are looking for an cool view of downtown Denver!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Kate F,
We are delighted to hear that our hotel was a safe-haven so to speak, during the flooding here. We are happy to be a part of an unexpected journey for you during your time in Denver. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon.