“Horrible Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Irvine, California
“Horrible Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had the most bizarre experience at the Downtown Sheraton. From the outside everything looks right - big hotel, nice decor, professional looking, etc. But, the operations of the hotel were unbelievably bad. First - the food. My daughter and I ordered room service the first night we were there. She got the kid's burger. I got a pepperoni pizza, homemade potato chips and a fruit plate. The pizza was probably the worst pizza I have ever had. If you have ever had a pizza from Seven Eleven or a really bad frozen pizza - the Sheraton Pizza was much worse. The crust was like cardboard, the cheese and the sauce tasted like pure chemicals. As to the fruit plate - the honey dew melon was as unripe as you could get, and the watermelon was like rubber. The potato chips (which had some kind of sauce) were half raw - uncooked. My daughter said that her hamburger was mostly fat. For all of this deliciousness I was charged $80.00. (21% mandatory gratuity and $3.50 "delivery charge." Of course, they have another line on the slip for "additional gratuity.").

Second - housekeeping. Because I didn't eat hardly any of the food, when we left the next day to go to the Broncos game, the tray of food was still there. I made sure that the privacy sign was not on the door so they would clean the room while we were gone. (The room was a bit messy because we got in late, unpacked all of our stuff, and we were really tired). When we got back from the game at abuot 6:00 p.m., the room looked completely untouched. All of the food from the night before was still there (stinking!). No housekeeping at all. Unbelievable! Mind you we spent $400/night for this room because it was a holiday weekend. I called the manager [Manuel] and told him that housekeeping never came. He apologized. But as I was on the phone I noticed that the beds were made! So, housekeeping had indeed come. They just hadn't cleaned anything and hadn't taken any of the food. They just made beds, left everything else where it was and they left. So bizarre. The manager offered to send someone up to clean, but I told him that we were exhausted and didn't really want someone in there at that time. I asked him to send someone up in an hour after we had had a chance to rest. I figured we would go out and get something to eat. Five minutes later there was a knock at the door. I answered the door and there was a sixty-five year old woman standing there in a housekeeping uniform. She look eastern European. I said "Can I help you?" She just stared at me and pointed at the room. It soon became apparent that she did not speak a word of English. Not one word. She just kept pointing at the room and saying "eeep" "eeep". It was the strangest experience I had ever had at a hotel. It was like I was in a third world country. I tried to be polite. I said "Ma'am I am sorry but I don't understand what you are saying. Would you like to clean the room?" She said "eeep" "eeep" and kept pointing. She then handed me a slip of paper that said "207 service." I said "Ok, I guess you can come in ." She came in the room, and I went and sat on the bed and resumed my iPad viewing. She then turned around, left and shut the door. That was it. We did end up going out for dinner that night. When we came back - still no cleaning. The next morning at 7:40 a.m. we were sleeping and we were woken up by a knock on the door. Before we had a chance to respond, someone opened our door. Fortunately we had the security latch on so they couldn't get in. It was housekeeping - waking us up at 7:40 a.m.! We stayed in bed and they left. We checked out at 9:00 a.m. We never did get anyone to clean our room.

Needless to say, I would never stay in this hotel again. No one should. The thing is - it is huge - it has the Sheraton name on it - and I am sure that they have huge conventions, etc. But, the emperor has no clothes! Horrible food. Horrible bizarre service. Outrageously overpriced. And they do not understand English - even the manager. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bradley K
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Bradley K,
I am so sorry that you had such a negative experience at our hotel. We definitely have much higher standards than you had during your stay. It was wholly unacceptable and I would like to speak with you directly so I can gather additional information to hold the appropriate people accountable. Please feel free to contact me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com.
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Korean first
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was the worse experience! Room has not been thoroughly cleaned, there was trash under the nightstand by the bed. We wanted to order room service, no menu in room. We called the front desk she said she would send one right up. We waited an hour then went down to the front desk. They then said they would take our order, but we hadn't seen the menu! Ended up at the in- house restaurant. Food was not as ordered, one dish too salty couldn't eat it. The other one didn't come as stated on the menu. The waitress said she would inform the kitchen. Send clothes out for dry cleaning but they were not returned to the room at 6pm. Called the front desk they said it had just been returned at 5:30. We waited until. 8 pm then went down to get it ourselves. We won't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Pagosagirl
Dear Pagosagirl,
WOW, this was really a bad stay for you and I am so sorry we did not exceed your expectations! We are better than this and your experience was entirely unacceptable. I would like to connect with you directly to personally apologize and offer whatever amends I can. Please let me know the best way to contact you by sending an e-mail to me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com
I look forward to speaking with you.
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager
Nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel was in a great location .close to shops , restaurants ,and public transportation. The hotel was clean , the staff was friendly . We had breakfast at the hotel a few times the food was above average. I will definnetly stay there again when visiting Denver again,

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Lorrygil66,
We appreciate your compliments on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you were able to get the best experience of Denver with our close proximity to so many options. We hope to see you again in the future.
Nederland, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is the largest hotel in Colorado, located in two different buildings: one is an I.M. Pei skyscraper (the "Tower"), the other an 8-story large squarish building (the "Plaza"). They are connected seamlessly underground and by a 2nd floor skyway. There are large convention facilities in both buildings. There is abundant but expensive underground parking. The location is excellent, near one end of Denver's 16th St. pedestrian mall, served by a frequent, free bus. Many museums, restaurants, and the State Capitol are nearby.

Reviews suggest that rooms and bathrooms in the skyscraper are small, so we chose to stay in the lower "Plaza" building. We asked for an exterior room, which afforded nice views southwest toward the mountains. There are nearly as many interior rooms, which probably offer no view at all. Our room was reasonably spacious, with two queen beds, a modernistic desk, minimal dresser space, and a normal-sized and generally well-functioning bathroom (actually, the water ranged from luke warm to extremely hot with the same setting of the lever on different days). The bed was especially comfortable. An unusual and welcome feature is that if you do not want housekeeping services on a particular day, you hang a special sign on the outside door handle before retiring, and you are greeted in the morning with a $5 coupon that acts like cash at hotel restaurants, etc.

One of our curtain rods was missing so the curtain couldn't be moved. Internet service in our room was free for our group, but often overwhelmed by the high bandwidth usage of our group. Once, it took hours for me to send a message.

The pool was difficult to find. Once having walked the considerable distance there, we encountered a "pool closed" sign, although the event wasn't to take place for hours and people were swimming there. There were no "pool rules" so children were jumping and splashing.

The 15/50 restaurant served a good, if expensive, breakfast (with a reasonable buffet option). Normal check-out time is noon. Although it was a lengthy walk between our room and the elevator, that elevator went to convenient places on the lobby level, the conference level, and where we had parked our car below that. Speaking of "lobby level," an annoying circumstance on our first morning concerned the location of the 15/50 restaurant for breakfast. The literature in the room had a whole page about the restaurant, but didn't say what level it was on. I phoned Guest Services and inquired. The woman responded, "it's in the Plaza." I then asked what level it was on. She replied, "the Plaza." I asked again what floor or level it was on. She replied, "The Plaza level." I asked, "What level is that, is that the Lobby level?" She replied in a deprecating tone, "Well, it's the Plaza Level, but you can call it Lobby level if you want to." Well, thanks. In the elevator, that level is indicated by "L". I suppose it is for "p-L-aza" level. And signs in the hotel mark the floor as "Lobby". Fortunately, other staff (e.g. in the restaurant) were more friendly.

Room Tip: Exterior rooms in the Plaza building are probably preferred. Determine where your function is and t...
Green Features: We were intrigued about the $5 coupon for no housekeeping practice. Other environmentally-friendly features were not obvious.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear nedtraveler,
Thank you greatly for your feedback during your recent business stay. We first and foremost, would like to apologize for the inconvenience of the pool closure sign, as well as the unfriendly tone of our guest services associate. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many features of our hotel, but mainly our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and our positioning on the world famous 16th Street Pedestrian Mall. We take great pride in the city we call home, and are happy to offer some of Denver’s most iconic attractions right outside our doorstep. We surely hope we are able to welcome you back to our community again in the future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

At the first glace the hotel has everything that a four-ish star hotel should have, but after staying here for five days (for a conference) I would say given to the price it is simply not a great place. I was appointed a room at the Plaza building. There are six elevators but they are all on one side! Plaza building is very large and my room is at the other end of the building, meaning that I have to walk 2 minutes just to get to the elevator. Of course I don't mind doing some exercise, but rushing between different talks and spent a lot of 2 minutes to get to the elevator just isn't great. The WIFI is *awful*, almost every hour I have to struggle for 20-ish minutes to get it work properly. I got complimentory WIFI from the conference, but imagine if someone pay a lot of bucks and get a defunct WIFI... Otherwise it is okay. Good beds, clean rooms. The hotel is located in an excellent place, with a lot of restaurants nearby; the state capitol and Denver mint is just 10 minutes walk. But unless you are coming for a conference or you have a lot of bucks I wouldn't recommend to stay at this place.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room close to the elevator if you stay in the Plaza and you don't want a lot of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The location of the hotel is quite good being right of the 16th Street Mall. The hotel itself definitely shows its' age. The conference facilities and lobby are well appointed. However, the hallways to guest rooms are dark dreary, and many of the room doors need repainting/varnishing. A couple of the lights in the hallway were also burnt out for my entire stay (3 nights). My room was large since it had two double beds, but some of my coworkers had smaller rooms with kings. Beds were good and the hotel itself was quiet at night. Bathroom could have used additional cleaning and showed its age just like the rest of the building. Overall, not a bad choice in downtown Denver, but definitely better options available in the same price range. Probably deserves 3.5 stars instead of 3. I would consider returning only if other options were not available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you are an architecture buff, you'll appreciate the hotel's tower building, an I.M. Pei designed hotel built in 1959. The hotel sits on the 16th Street Mall, an outdoor pedestrian mall lined with cafes, retail stores and historic buildings. The hotel is well maintained and the staff helpful. I was here for business but it would be well suited for families or couples on vacation. I was very pleased with my stay.

Room Tip: For the best chance to get a glimpse of the Rockies, ask for a room on the north side, 17th floor or...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Harry M,
We are proud to offer such a historic building for our guests to experience during their stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rich antiquity of our I.M. Pei Tower building. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We hope to welcome you back to our community in the future.