“Nice Facility, with some annoying factors...”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #62 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Durham, North Carolina
“Nice Facility, with some annoying factors...”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a beautiful facility, built partially on the foundation of an historic department store in downtown Denver. Staff are friendly. Wi-fi is VERY frustrating...almost impossible to connect, and then it randomly disconnects while you are working. A nightly "Social Hour" is advertised from 5-7 PM, which I incorrectly assumed was complimentary...until a staff person came to get my room number. Lastly, I prefer to take stairs, just for the exercise...and this is obviously not the intent at this hotel...they are un-carpeted and obviously used for activities such as grabbing a smoke or spray-painting signs...and do not open into logical places...very confusing.
Obviously, breakfast not included.

Green Features: Denver seems to be a fantastic place as far as incorporating environmentally sound building and practices. LEED certified buildings and remodels, ample recycling, hybrid free busses...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Susan A,
Thank you for the kind words regarding our facility. I agree, we have a splendid property with many options for dining and entertaining. I am also glad that our staff treated you with such kindness. I am sorry that you had issues with our internet and would like to discuss it with you so I can better understand the issues you had so they can be corrected for future guests. I also apologize that the Sheraton Social Hour was not properly communicated to you. While this is a popular program at all Sheraton’s, it is not complimentary. Our stairwells are intended for emergency egress only. I will have our maintenance teams inspect them immediately so any defects in appearance can be corrected immediately. It would be wonderful to connect with you directly so I can gather more information, if you would like to, please send me your contact information to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and courteous. Room service was prompt, and the staff were helpful with directions and recommendations for meals. The room was spacious with a view of the mountains in the distance.

Room Tip: ask for a mountain view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

It is located in downtown Denver, and it's very convenient to roam around.
There's not much to say about the hotel.
It is okay, but nothing is outstanding. I had such a sound sleep on their bed, though.

The gym is okay, and the staff are nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights in September because I got an AMAZING rate on Hotwire hidden deals. The location is great for downtown and the check-in/out experience was pretty good. The room itself was very nice even though we requested a king sized bed but were instead given 2 queens and told there were no more kings available. Overall, the hotel is very beautiful and I had a very enjoyable stay. I would definately stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a great time in downtown Denver.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I live in Lone Tree which is about 30 minutes from downtown, and decided to stay for a night at a hotel downtown. The Sheraton was at a good location and was fairly easy to find. That being said, when I initially checked in, I was a little disappointed. I had only booked a standard king room, but it was one of the smallest rooms I've ever stayed in, it couldn't have been over 200 square feet. I immediately called and asked to upgrade to something else, said I didn't mind paying, but they said they didn't have anything bigger. After about 20 minutes I called again, and this time Rachael saved the day. She said they had plenty of availability, and immediately upgraded me to an executive King with a great view. After that, the stay was great. The room was very nice, and the view was superb. I ended up having a great time, it was just the initial room that was a little disappointing. But again a big shout out to Rachael for helping me out!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Tyler T,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We apologize for the initial disappointment in your room and feel very fortunate that we have such an amazing associate in Rachel who saved the day. We hope to welcome you back to our community again in the future.
Tony Dunn, General Manager
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I was in Denver for the first time on a week-long business trip.I was excited to visit the city and to stay at the Sheraton. We got there mid-afternoon and had a fantastic check-in experience. I was helped by Francisco, who upgraded my room upon request (I had a 2 bed, city view room and asked for a king mountain view room). He was also able to upgrade my friend who had already checked in at another counter. When we asked him for recommendations for places to eat, he wrote us a list and gave directions to several local places and what they are best for (happy hour, dinner, quick meal). He honestly could not have been more helpful.

My room was in the tower building, which was a little bit of a hike, but I was able to get a high floor and a great view. The room was a good size, and very clean. The bathroom was on the smaller size, but plenty of big for me. The sliding mirror door on the closet was busted, and the way they 'fixed' it made it very difficult to use. The gap under the main door was also VERY high, making for a lot of light to slip through the door, along with the noise. The walls in this place are THIN. Every night for a week I was woken up past midnight by people walking through the hall, my neighbor going through the closet (I could hear the hangers move and then the suitcase being zipped- thats how thin the walls were). The housekeeping staff was very nice and accommodated my request for extra hand towels daily. Housekeeping service did come very late some days (past 3pm), but nothing I couldnt work with on this trip.

One night after a very long day of meetings, I decided to order room service and go to bed early. I have ordered room service in many hotels and always had a great experience (when you pay the premium, it should all be great). I ordered calamari, a salad with salmon and a glass of milk at 6pm. Easy, right? Wrong. The food came to my door at 6:40 by a very pleasant young woman. I signed the bill and off she went. I opened my appetizer and was surprised that there was some calamari, but mostly french fries (not on the menu- maybe a midwest thing?). They were fine, came with cocktail sauce instead of marinara, but it was all good.

Moved onto my salad..... and my salmon was raw. Like, cold in the middle, looks like it was just flipped in a pan once to cook the outside and put on the plate. There was no way I could eat it. It was now 7pm. I called down and they apologized and said someone would bring a new salad up immediately. I waited a half hour and still nothing. I called back and the woman seemed surprised I was still waiting, said she would check on it. Waited another thirty minutes and called down. Got a man this time, who said that my ticked had been escalated to the manager and he would check on it- its now 8pm. Another half hour and another call- same answer. Finally a few minutes shy of 9pm my salad finally arrives by someone who just says, this was cooked well done so it should be fine, then he took my old pate and left. No apology, just annoyance that they had to bring me something else. Not for anything, but the least they could do was have the manager either pick up the phone and just call me to apologize for the wait or come up with the new food and make sure it was okay. I was charged full price for my meal. Terrible.

The conference staff was very attentive throughout the week and everything on that end went well. The hotel is in a nice area that is easy walking distance to a lot of shops and places to eat. I would say that there are a lot of people on the street which made me and my friends not go out after dark alone.

Overall it was fine. I dont think I would stay there again, but it was fine.

Room Tip: If you dont like a lot of walking, dont get a tower room. But if you want a high level with a good v...
Green Features: Normally you can pick your 'green option' to just not have the sheets changed, or no new towels, but you either had to decline all housekeeping services (they would not enter your room at all, empty trash, etc) or just have regular service.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I am here currently, 5 nights into a 7 night stay, as part of a conference. It is comfortable enough for a work trip but unacceptable if on my own dime with the goal of enjoyment and relaxation. Safety concerns in previous reviews are legitimate. There is typically no one staffed at the entrance to the Tower building which remains unlocked even at night. Once I got lost in the lower levels trying to find the garage elevators and there were no signs nor people to ask for help. I could have been attacked down there and likely no one would hear the screams. You have to swipe your key in order to confirm your floor in the elevator but someone could easily press a floor piggy-back off your swipe. Maybe one press per swipe would b an improvement or some other system altogether. In the gym, I was running on a treadmill facing the window and one of the street's many vagrants chose to stand in front of my machine and shape his hands into a gun and fire at me. He finally moved on after some uncomfortable jog time. I wasn't hurt but no one wants to pay close to $200/ nightly to be made to feel discomfort. Maybe some tinted windows or moving the gym to another fl. would resolve this for any future guests. Also would be good for hotel to provide security to frequently walk the perimeter of the building as there are multiple entrances and i did not feel safe to travel thu alone. Water was left in the room only once out of 5 nights I've been here. I typically tip the maid staff but that did not prompt them to leave water. I also found remnants of a partially eaten cookie just under the bed platform because I dropped something near it, how disgusting is that?! You'd think housekeeping would do more thorough cleaning btwn guests. That is just terribly unhygienic. The room has an air filter in it and certification notice as a PURE room. There is no indication of who certified the room. And it is ironic because I am extra sneezy and congested when I return to the room. makes me weary that something is being overcompensated for. Now to the acceptable... Water pressure is ok, drain flow is ok, bed is ok. Pillows are overstuffed and hurt my neck bc too high but that may be an individual issue. Room and bathroom are very small but I am from NYC and this bathroom is on par w/ what I'm used to. I put my suitcase inside the closet as there is no space to spare in the room itself. I asked the desk to send up a mini fridge which they did promptly (found in my room later that evening) but it is comically/ awkwardly placed in the center of what little walking space available. The valet was helpful as I had a car one night and he directed me to self park.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear moretravelpleasennyc,
Thank you for the very thorough review of our property. I am glad that you found our staff helpful and pleasant; I will pass this information onto them to further encourage them to provide better service. I am sorry that you had a negative experience in relation to feeling secure in our property. We do offer 24/7 security patrols throughout the property and definitely should have had someone in the Tower lobby during the overnight shift. I will definitely check into this but would like to gather more information regarding your stay, due to the anonymous nature of your review I cannot pinpoint when you stayed with us or which days/evenings you encountered this absence of security in our hotel. We are working on increasing some key access points and hope to have these installed shortly. If you would like to speak with me further regarding your stay, please contact me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com
Thank you for your time.
Chuck Schuringa