“clean and quiet”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #64 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 January 2014

As per past reviews, I agree that the rooms are small. However, the location is very convenient if you are spending time in downtown Denver. You can walk many places or take the free shuttle. We stayed only one night and didn't have much contact with the hotel employees. The parking was expensive ($35) but we didn't want our car to be out on the street overnight. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear CoJil,
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as our positioning on the world famous 16th Street Pedestrian Mall. We feel that our guests get the best experience of Denver being so close to most of the iconic landmarks that make up the city our home. We hope to welcome you back to our community again in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is certainly located in a convenient location, but it was equally unfriendly to me as a business traveler. I had to send a fed ex box of material back to my office as my travel schedule would not yet take me home to Ohio. I went to the hotel's business center to find that, in addition to the standard Federal Express delivery fee that I was happy to pay, the hotel's business center would add a separate $20+ "handling"charge to my hotel bill, for what? Evidently for the "privilege" of allowing my fed ex box sit at the hotel business center until it was picked up by fed ex the next day! Very few hotels that I've ever stayed at take this kind of advantage of business travelers. It was a real disappointment!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Thomz12345
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Thomz12345,
Thank you for your kind words regarding our location and facility. I agree with you, we have the best location of any of the Denver hotels, located directly on the historic 16th St. Mall and Civic Center Park. I am sorry that the fees associated with sending out packages came as a surprise to you. We are adhering to Starwood standards and as you mentioned you have stayed at hotels that do have this fee. I would like to speak with you directly so that I can ensure that your fees were within our standard and did not exceed posted rates. If you would like to speak with me regarding this, please send me an e-mail with your contact information to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I were quite disappointed with our stay. Check in staff were very nice. The system to give us key cards were down and we had to have a bellman escort us to our room to let us in. He was pleasant enough, but did not offer to take our bag. Isn't that was his job is?! The room was small, but clean. Bathroom extremely small. Mountain view is not worth the added expense. You can't see them much 1. because they are still pretty far away and 2. because of all the buildings blocking the view. Bed was very comfortable. TV's were a joke. They only have HD channels for sports. Any other channel looks TERRIBLE. You can hear everything that goes on in the hallway. There is no privacy because of this. We had a couple issues and the staff that handled our problem were absolutely the most rudest staff we have come across in a hotel. We've stayed at Embassy Suites, Hotel Teatro and the Ritz Carlton in downtown Denver before and liked all three. The less expensive rate at this hotel is not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Klala,
Thank you for providing us with feedback so that we can improve. I am sorry that our staff did not deliver the service you paid for and expected. We did encounter some key system failures on New Year’s Eve that forced us to escort some of our guests to their rooms. We did this in an effort to not make people wait after they checked in. Fortunately our IT team was able to get the system up and running quickly. I am also sorry that your television programming was not up to par. We are in the midst of upgrading the entire system and hope to have it delivering full HD programming soon. I am sorry that the Mountains seemed so far away and there are other buildings nearby, we do our best to identify rooms that face West but it seems as if this room didn’t meet your standards. If you would like to connect with me directly so that I can identify which room you were in and ensure that it meets our standards, please send me an e-mail to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

my wife and I recently stayed at this hotel. We were disappointed right away with the size of the room as it was extremely small. Also when we walked in it was horribly hot.we had issues with the temperature in the room our entire stay.the majority of the staff was less than helpful. And a couple of the staff members were rude. we stayed at the Embassy Suites down in Denver on a handful of occasions and love it there. we thought we would try something new to be a little closer to the 16th Street Mall but we regretted it. we will definitely be going back to the embassy whenever we decide to stay down in Denver again.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Ashton-Karra,
Thank you for providing us with important feedback so that we can improve. I am so sorry that your room air temperature controls were not working properly and that our staff was not appropriately responsive to your inquiries. I would like to speak with you directly so that I can investigate which room you stayed in and ensure our repairs staff places this room off market to remedy this concern. Please send me an e-mail at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com if you would like to interact with me further.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton has an excellent location in downtown Denver. There are plenty of activities, restaurants, and shops nearby - all within walking distance. I thought I might need to rent a car, but there was so much to do, I decided not too. A free downtown shuttle runs right past the hotel. Peets Coffee is located in the Sheraton; Starbucks across the street.

The hotel staff was above average - plenty of staff for the amounts of guests that the hotel serviced.

Another great point about the downtown Sheraton - they have a program that if you don't need housekeeping, they will give you a $5 voucher per day. That's the price of a latte at Peets Coffee. So, over the course of my stay, that was $30 - not bad for a person that is neat.

Downside - my usual complaint about large chain hotels. The Sheraton does charge $50 per day for "hotel incidentals". As always, my room was pre paid and I have never used "incidentals" - ever! So the hotel put a $300 hold on my credit card. And even though they immediately hold your money - it takes up to five to ten business days for them to release your credit. This price was practically the cost of what I prepaid for the room. It is upsetting that hotels do not tell travelers their "incidental" policy before you book rooms.

I would definitely shop around and book a hotel room that didn't have such a high hotel fee. Also would not mind it, if the hotel refunded my credit immediately. How come they can take credit immediately but not return it immediately?

Also - the chandeliers in the lobby are filthy - they have so many bugs in the lamps - gross, especially for a 4 star hotel.

Finally - I don't think the hotel rotates the mattresses on the beds. My mattress had a tilt and had a body imprint on one side only. It was like sleeping on a little hill. Not the best night sleep I've had at a hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Simbelina14,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are disheartened to hear of the challenges you faced with the incidentals fee as well as our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. We have notified our housekeeping department to pay close attention to our mattresses. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our positioning on the world famous 16th Street Pedestrian Mall. We feel that our guests are able to experience the best of the city we call home if they are within walking distance of some of Denver’s most prominent icons. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sheraton at the end of a family trip for a night away. We were pleased with the staff's friendliness. The room was clean, and well stocked with a bathrobe, toiletries, etc. as you would expect for this type of hotel. The fitness center was excellent with multiple treadmills, bikes, and ample weights. We were to have a free breakfast with our stay, but the wait was too long, so we opted out. The location is great, right near the 16th street mall. There was also free WiFi and access to computers in the lobby to print boarding passes for free. No complaints here, but evidently others have higher expectations than me?

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ang1976,
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are especially happy to hear that you were able to experience our Sheraton Fitness powered by Core Performance. We feel it is important that our guests are able to continue their workout routine while traveling. We hope to welcome you back to our community in the future.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in November while in town for a Broncos game. We're Starwood Gold members and were given a room across the street high-up in the Tower building.

The hotel location was good if you need to be downtown, and want to walk to shopping. There's also a Yardhouse resto-lounge conveniently located right next door

Check-in was relatively quick, but it is a large conference-orientated hotel, so wouldn't be surprised at other comments around long lines to check in. The underground walk to our tower was annoying at worst, but expected in this hotel's setup.

The room itself is where it all falls apart....when you walk in you are greeted by the strongest of room perfume we've ever encountered. I complained to front desk and they said all rooms would be like this but could send up someone with an air purifier or something to help remove it. We left for a few hours and came back to slightly better conditions, but the wife still had a headache from the strong aroma. We actually jammed the door open to the hallway for most of the awake time in the room, while running the fan on high! This really makes one wonder if the hotel is trying hard to cover up other smells? (used to be smoking rooms??). Not good, and for this reason alone we will never go back here.

Otherwise, the king room was very tight. Paint in the bathroom was worn and chipped all over the place, making it really feel like a 3-star property at best. We did not experience other services like the gym or room service so cannot comment. The staff was pretty friendly/helpful across the board.

Room Tip: Any room that hasn't been over-perfumed!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear GMROCKS,
Thanks for taking time to provide us with feedback so that we can improve. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel location; I agree with you, it is simply the best hotel location in the Denver Metro Area. I am sorry that our size (we are the largest hotel in the State of Colorado) posed some concern for you. We do our best to train our staff to approach our guests as with as much of a personal touch as possible but it sounds as if we failed in your circumstance. I am also concerned about your comments regarding our rooms. The Sheraton is a 100% non-smoking facility and has been since it opened in 2008. Occasionally some guests ignore our communication and smoke anyway and while this is inconsiderate (and against the law) we are sometimes faced with mitigating the smoke odor in a variety of ways. I am sorry that this caused your wife discomfort. If you would like to interact with me directly regarding your stay, please send me a note to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com with your contact information and I will call you.