“Terrible hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Springfield, Missouri
“Terrible hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Downtown Denver for a huge international convention from 5/30-6/3/14. Our room was in the "tower" which had obviously been a different hotel and was converted to the Sheraton. The elevators were quite confusing as we either had to cross a busy street to get to tower or take elevators and walk under the street and more elevators. The room was one of the smallest rooms we have ever stayed in. It was the width of a king size bed with two night stands. There was no dresser, seating area or fridge. We were on the sixteenth floor and looked out a wall of windows at building across from the tower. We left early one morning and came back to hotel at 3:00pm and room had not been cleaned. One day we didn't have a bathmat, the toilet didn't flush properly and we had plastic cups one night. The ice bucket didn't have a bag in it. We had to get our room card redone twice as it didn't work in elevator and it never worked in the parking garage. This hotel was subpar especially for the price of $255 a night. We also were taken by the amount of homeless people/loiterers that congregated around the hotel and on the 16th Street Mall. Thousands of people attended the convention and the big topic was the people sleeping on the street and how the attendees were not comfortable walking alone. We were surprised that Denver officials have not addressed the problem. We actually were so uncomfortable we checked out a day early. We were very disappointed with this hotel and would not recommend this location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Paula B
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Paula B,
Thank you for the time it took for you to write such a detailed review of our hotel. I am so sorry that we have failed to deliver the kind of service we should have during your stay. Since we are the largest hotel in the state of Colorado, with over 1200 rooms, 7 Restaurants/Bars and 130K of meeting space, we have the luxury of a lot of flexibility and can assign you a larger room when you return. I am also sorry for your experience on the 16th Street Mall, many of our guests enjoy this wonderful Denver Landmark and I am disappointed that the interactions you had with some unfortunate individuals marred your stay further. I would like to apologize to you personally for your unacceptable hotel experience, if you would like to send me an e-mail with your contact information to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com that would be wonderful. Thanks again for your time,
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Clean, updated, pleasant rooms. Enough amenities on the concierge floor to keep everyone happy. All staff - very friendly. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, asked me how my stay was going, and was there anything I needed.
Hotel is on the 16th Street Mall. Plenty of opportunities for people watching. Lots of bars and restaurants to easily walk to. About 4 blocks from the convntion center. Had a small iuue with retrieving car from the valet, but nothin major.
Great hotel!

Room Tip: One with a view of the Rocky Mountains is nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Fana B, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Tom M,
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed Sheraton Club and everyone was making sure you were being taken care of. I apologize for the small issue with retrieving your car. We look forward to your future stay soon.
Glen Mills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Downtown Denver for the APS March Meeting. Imagine 8500 real life Sheldon Coopers and Leonard Hofstadters (The Big Bang Theory TV Show) loose in Denver!

Very late check in was a breeze. Our room on the 19th floor Plaza Tower facing southeast was very nice and ready upon arrival. The Plaza tower is a little bit difficult to access, two elevators and a bit of a walk, but worth the effort. The beds were very comfy and clean. The wall of windows gave us a beautiful view of the Colorado State Capitol dome (under renovation) and Civil Center Park; I wish the weather would have been clear. The orientation of the beds facing the windows made TV viewing very difficult. There was a nice desk and chair for getting work done and a chair and ottoman in the opposite corner for relaxing. Wi-Fi service was excellent throughout the hotel. The heated outdoor pool was open, even in March! (Photos show the room after we stayed in it, our apologies to the Sheraton for the less than neat appearance.)

The room itself and bathroom were both huge for hotel accommodations and very clean. The room featured two very large closet spaces in separate the foyer and bathroom areas. The bathroom was nicely private and away from the sleeping area so this made the room good for sharing with others in our party.

My only complaints were that the guest safe did not work (no, it was not the experienced user). The HVAC controls for the room were not setting properly, so it was always either too warm or too cool.

Our convention meeting room was nicely appointed and Wi-Fi service was fast. Food and beverage service was timely and of excellent quality.

Continental breakfast was available with our room and was very good. A great assortment of pastries, croissants, fruit, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, milk and sodas were available. The staff was very helpful as I needed to assemble a take-out plate.

No issues with final billing. Getting a shuttle back to the airport was super easy at the front door and inexpensive. It’s about a 45 minute drive to the airport.

Look for my reviews of the Root Down and Yard House restaurants soon!

The bottom line is that I would absolutely stay here again and highly recommend to any travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room in the Plaza Tower
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Genochemist
Dear Genochemist,
Thank you so much for your great review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return soon.
North Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I loved this hotel.
This hotel is gigantic and easy to get a little lost in but I really did enjoy staying here.
It is in the heart of downtown Denver off of 16th street so this is in a great location.
I thought the hotel was beautiful and very elegant.
The gym was big enough and had enough equipment for a good workout, nothing too much.
There is a tower building as well where people can stay but I stayed in the main building.
The room I stayed in didn't have the best view but I could care less.
The room itself was gigantic, a nice tv, a huge comfortable bed, a nice bathroom, and a spacey work-desk.
A parking garage is downstairs and perfectly safe.
I loved staying here and will stay here again!

Room Tip: The main building is nicer, the tower building has some electrical issues apparently
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jennifer P,
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are so pleased that you loved your stay even though you got lost. Our guests often rave of our convenient location right off the 16th street pedestrian mall. We hope to see you again in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed for a bachelorette party, so was only in the room for a short amount of time. Needs to be better cleaned, and some maintenance items were needed but beds were comfortable. Linens were nice. Parking was $27 for overnight which is crazy, but after all its Denver. Location is fair, be warned that after 11pm the 16th street mall ride doesn't travel as often, so its a long walk from some of the hot spots in Denver, off of 20th.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We hope you enjoyed your bachelorette party. We are glad you found the bed and linens comfortable. We invite you to visit us again soon
swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

The Sheraton  is huge in every way.  Very impressive when you arrive.  Check in was smooth  and  all the hotel staff I encountered during my stay in were polite and efficient.

The  room  was on the 5th floor  and was very spacious.  With a walk  in closet area,  large bathroom and desk.  There was an iron and  board provided (one of my niggle s) as well as coffee  making facilities.  The  room was looking a bit tired  in terms or carpet and decor and the cleaning  could have been better.

In common with  many hotels there was no central light but a series of lamps.  I never understand  this  idea as it takes forever to turn  off  to go to bed!

My main problem  with the room was the darkness.  My window faced the inside  of the hotel  there  was no view  and natural  light was limited.  Make sure  you ask  for a room with a view!.

This hotel is huge as said and had two parts the main building and the Tower across the street which you can access outside or via a sky bridge. To be fair the hotel had provided digital display boards and interactive maps to help you navigate yourself but many of my friends complained that it was a bit of a rabbit Warren to find your room.

The facilities and shops are exceptional. I didn't get time to use the pool or gym but they looked fine. Also attached is the Yard bar with a huge selection of ales and there is another hotel bar which is also good. If that wasn't enough there is an Irish bar with great live music across the street.

The position n of the hotel is excellent being right next to 16th Street with all its shops, restaurants and malls.

In all I had a very comfortable stay, if you don't like big hotels dont stay here. There are plenty of boutique hotels nearby. But this is a great located hotel with good staff and spacious rooms.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear maxillo,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. As it is the largest hotel in Colorado it can take a minute to navigate between the two buildings. We appreciate that you noted we have our 4Winds reader boards with maps of the hotel and other information. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the restaurants. We hope to see you again soon.
Basye, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was in Denver to help my son and his family move into their new residence. I wisely decided to stay in a hotel for a few nights while the house was in such disarray and help during the day. When I arrived the staff at check-in were professional, warm, and courteous. The next day I watched my two grandchildren (ages 4&6) while my son and daughter-in-law worked in the house. Their new residence is in walking distance from the hotel. I took the girls to breakfast. The six year old has serious nut allergy. I mentioned that to the server. Both the head chef and the hotel manager came to the table to see how best to serve her. They spent ten minutes hearing our request. They put a nervous grandfather at ease. Many times during the meal the manager stopped by to see how we were doing. As I was checking out two days later the manager asked about my grandchildren. I'd go back there again in a heartbeat. The room was fine, the fitness center was grand, but the service was great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom W
Fana B, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Tomwilliamsen,
Thank you for you great review of our staff. We are glad that we were able to accommodate your grandchild with her nut allergies. It can be very concerning when you have a small child with allergies. We hope everything went well with your son and family’s move. We hope to see you again soon.