“Overall outstanding”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #66 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as a part of an annual conference. I wrestled between 4 or 5 stars but settled on the 5.

We arrived before noon and check in went very smooth with very pleasant staff. A room was available and we got right in. We were in the Tower complex and our room was on the small side. It is definitely not a room you just want to sit around in to kill an afternoon.

Beds were extremely comfortable, maybe right there with the best we have experienced (and we travel a lot). Bathroom also somewhat small but very clean with plush towels. We were at the far end from the elevators and room was very quiet.

Two hours of free internet in a 24 hour period and then you pay after that. I still don't get why the higher end hotels charge for internet and most of the low to mid-levels do not but,,,,oh well. Only other complaint with room was the limited selection of tv programming. If you do not sleep more than a few hours a night like I do, it is nice to have a selection of channels.

Restaurants on site are very good and reasonably priced as are the drinks, considering the area.

If you are there for a large convention, the elevators are small and somewhat slow so expect a wait. Also, it is a little confusing navigating from the Plaza side to the Tower side to the garage level to the conference level to the mezzanine level.

This hotel sits on what is known as the 16th Street Mall. This is a mile long area of great shops, restaurants, bars, street performers, and people watching. The bus system runs the length of the mall at no charge and you can hop on and hop off on every block. Simply an outstanding service and my hat is off to the city or whoever provides the service.

Finally, a huge thank you to the staff at the Sheraton. In addition to being helpful and pleasant throughout the trip, they really came through after we got home. My wife left her prescription sunglasses of less than a month old in the room. We did not realize it until we were back at home. A quick call to the hotel and they were located and sent to us by express mail at no charge.

All in all this was a very nice stay and we will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,519)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

First of all, the set-up of this hotel is really silly. To get to my room, I had to take an elevator off the lobby. Upon reaching another floor I had to walk a considerable distance through the conference area to get to yet another set of elevators to get to my room. Talk about silly and confusing. I don't understand the layout of this hotel at all.

My room on the 11th floor was equally unimpressive. Small and cramped sums it up. The bathroom and shower were all in one room and was tiny. A separate vanity area is would be a nice feature.

The only reason I can give three stars for this hotel is due to its convenient proximity to a large shopping area on 16th Street and many restaurants and bars.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Beachbum101
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I came here in August 2013 with my cousins on our way to a week long stay in the mountains. While here we caught a Rockies game and visited some of the shops and restaurants of the 16th Street mall. The area is very cool! We also enjoyed the clean rooms in the newer building (where we stayed) with a mountain view. The pool was large and had great views, too.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We came to denver to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, so we chose to stay in this upscale hotel on 16th street. We LOVED the location, right next to everything (movie theatre, restaurants, mall shuttle, Starbucks, shopping, even euflora). We wish we had known the pride festival was happening, but that's no fault but our own. Nothing against pride, but it brought a TON of riff raff to the nicer part of downtown and meant for crowded parking and walkways.
Now the bad...
We were put in the older building owned by the hotel. This meant older furnishings. You can tell they tried their best to mask that, but the walls by the window were concrete slabs, the door was so old that you couldn't shut it fully, especially while showering, it was a very tiny room, and the bathroom had no fan. And since you couldn't open windows either, there was no way to air out the room. And the towel hook fell out of the bathroom door, probably from how much moisture gets trapped in there without a fan. The bathroom was equally as small and felt cramped for the prices we were paying per night. There was no refrigerator, however by reading trip advisor I found out they will supply them quickly by request, which they did. The ac worked well, but we totally turned it off one day because it was so cold. The thermostat didn't seem to work. The bed was nice, but there was a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet, which was extremely annoying because it kept coming up. I can only imagine how many ppl have been on that mattress...ew. Just didn't seem up to Sheraton standards.
Parking was the worst part. $27 per night! $38 for valet! They were basically creating business for the lots surrounding the area, where the one way roads almost lead you to giving up and parking with them.
In addition, wifi and network data suck there. As a visitor you can use it free for 2 hrs per 24 hr period. Which I did because I was not about to pay the daily rate for it. It's 2014, what gives? At least they had computers to use in the lobby.
The pool looked nice but we didn't use it due to the weather. No hot tub that we could find tho, which would have been nice. They supposedly had a game room attached, but we couldn't find any games there, just tables.
Overall the hotel was nice and upscale, but I think we would have had a better experience in the newer building, during a different time of the year.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I went to Denver for a conference. The first room they gave us in "the Tower" stunk on ice. The odor may have been from a chemical used to mask another odor. Whatever it was I started getting a headache from smelling it. We called the front desk and were advised to come back down and get another room. So we trek back to the elevator with all of our luggage take it down to the concourse level then under the street to the plaza building then up another elevator to the lobby, get another room key and repeat this trek for the third time.

We were traveling with friends and had booked five rooms on the same reservation. My wife and I were in "The Tower" and everyone else was in "The Plaza". No one was even on the same floor. The conference was in "The Tower" so why were the others in "The Plaza"?

Our second room smelled better but the bathroom had urine stains on the wall. When we told the hotel they would be glad for us to move ourselves again. My wife cleaned it.over my objections.

No one ever told us about the second floor walk bridge. We found it on our own.

The room was smaller than any Holiday Inn I ever stayed in. There was no space anywhere.

The Conference rooms and facilities were very nice. The meals served were well prepared. Not a fan of julienne sliced veggies but the sauce made them OK. The beef tips on Friday were fantastic.

There are numerous banks of elevators. If it is not a main access elevator it probably doesn't go where you want it to.

The hotel offers a breakfast buffet. We ate breakfast there twice. Paleo and low carb friendly. About $20.00 each for breakfast that may seem a little pricey but at least there was smoked salmon. Sit in the dining area away from the bar. The second time we sat there and the air conditioners cooled our food and coffee within a few minutes.

Room Tip: We were in Tower 731 and had a view of the gravel roof below and the Plaza building across the stree...
1  Thank George S
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was in town to visit friends and catch a couple of Rockies games and chose the Sheraton since I liked the 16th St Mall area. I arrived around 7ish and we were doing dinner around 7:30 so I only had time to drop off my bags before heading out for the night.

Upon getting to my room I realized that it was 2 Queen beds even though I requested a King room and the man who checked us in said they had us in a King room.....I was going to let it go but the room didn't look like it was very clean and then I noticed there was someones toothpaste and toothbrush on the ledge by the window. I called to the front desk and they said that the reason I wasn't in a king room was because my room wasn't ready until after 9 PM....why the employee who checked us in just ignored this and checked us into a different room without asking was pretty terrible.

Once I returned to the hotel around 1 AM the room was ready and they brought me upstairs to get my stuff and that was it. They didn't apologize about the room not being clean and made it seem like it wasn't that big of a deal and that it was my fault for troubling them. The only thing that is saving this review from a terrible is that I like the location and I enjoyed the Yard House in the lobby for a good lunch spot while my friends were at work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear John P,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback so we may improve. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel’s location, being directly on the famous 16th Street Mall and offering the splendid Yardhouse. I am so sorry that your room was not ready for you upon your arrival. We certainly should have had your room ready for you by 3 p.m.; without knowing your specific reservation information I cannot provide an explanation so would like to connect with you directly, could you send your contact information to me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com?
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 22 June 2014

There are two high-rise buildings connected by a second floor bridge over the street--Plaza and Tower. We had a room in the Plaza on the 6th floor. When we asked for a quiet room, the clerk asked if a courtyard room would be OK. We said yes, but beware the courtyard is really a cement floor over perhaps the 2nd floor with a single sculpture of tetrahedrons. I was expecting a swimming pool or greenery. So there's nothing to see in the courtyard. Also, the room was located a long way from the elevator, down two long halls and around a corner. Once inside, however, it was quite OK. However, I've discovered I don't like pillow-top mattresses, which this had. I don't find them firm enough. Some people might find them a plus. There were plenty of outlets for plugging things in. The room had two queen beds with a table (no drawers) between. However, there were two outlets on either side of the table, making plugging in a computer or heating pad easy. There were not bath towels in the room, which I didn't notice until the morning. When I called housekeeping, they indicated the bath towels would be brought right away. But housekeeping had to call me back three times (asking if the towels had arrived), before they actually came. I suggest looking around the night before to see that all towels are in place. Otherwise, you might not get them in a timely fashion in the morning. There was a large TV, a coffee maker (one cup at a time) with Starbucks coffee and tea, and a hair dryer. The closet had plenty of hangers. The only mirror other than in the bathroom was the mirror doors to the closet. There was enough lighting--normally I find hotel rooms too dark. We couldn't seem to adjust the thermostat, but got used to the room temperature which was a bit on the cool side for us. The water was hot quickly. There is a make-up mirror in the bathroom. I noticed that the rates for parking a car overnight are high. This didn't bother us because we came by air and went to the hotel via the SuperShuttle.

Room Tip: I would not take a "courtyard" room in the Plaza high-rise.