“Stay here for the location, not so much the hotel”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #62 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
hccpsu
“Stay here for the location, not so much the hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently stayed here with a large group of friends. The hotel has positives--nice pool area (although the pool isn't heated), the gym is nice and we all loved the fruit water placed in the lobby each day. The location can't be beat. However, a few things marred our stay. The elevators were slow (or not working), and the door to our room wouldn't shut unless we manually pushed it closed, which we didn't notice right away--I took a shower without realizing anyone could have walked into the room . Lines at the front desk were LONG no matter what time of day (I felt a little sorry for the employees). One person in our group said they were given a room that hadn't yet been cleaned. When I checked out I discovered I was charged for three 800-number phone calls to arrange for airport transportation (ironically, a number given to me by the front desk). I looked on the phone before I made the calls and didn't see anything about charges for 800 numbers; a travelling companion had also looked and didn't see it, either. When I got home I called corporate customer service and got the charges removed, but really, in this day and age there shouldn't be charges for 800 numbers. I had a nice weekend but left with a sour taste in my mouth due to the unexpected charges.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Falun, Sweden
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you can avoid it, don't stay at the Sheraton Denver Downton. Stayed here during a conference held at the hotel and was not impressed. The lobby and main areas är decent, however far from personal. I stayed in a room in the tower with a king-size bed. It was a healthy walk from the main entrance but that was fine. What wasn't however was the smell in the room. Smelled like someon had been smoking and since the hotel was at full capacity at the time the hotel placed a humidifier in my room. Worked fine the first day so I didn't even start it up when I left the hotel day 2. Came back and the awful smell was back. Maybe mold or maybe something else, I don't know but it without a doubt made a lasting, icky impression on me.

Oh, and the wifi was one of the worst I've encountered. How a four-star hotel specialized on conferences and convention can have such a poor WiFi is beyond me. I struggled to even check my e-mails.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear JoacimS,
Thank you so much for providing us with the feedback so we can improve. I am sorry that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I would like to conduct further investigation to ensure the concerns you shared regarding your room are remedied immediately. We do have a team focused on repairing and deep cleaning our rooms and I would like to make sure this room is addressed as soon as possible. Also, I would like to find out more regarding your internet experience as we have just recently invested in improving this service and it comes as a surprise that your experience was negative. Please provide me with your contact information by sending it to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com so I can follow up with you directly.
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed her for a night for business. it is conveniently located in the downtown. It also has conference rooms and when I was there, President Bill Clinton had is summit going on there. Room is clean and nice. It is a very big hotel, so if you are not into large hotels, this may not be the place. Overall it is a good property, it is little big and crowded for me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Colorado
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Once again the hotel was perfect for our Fourth of July weekend in Denver. Clean room, attentive staff, easy parking. We brought our bikes this time and the bell staff was more than happy to store them for us when we weren't riding. Even though this is such a large hotel, it has a very personable feel to it. Of course we'll be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wannabeprincess49
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here for a wedding. Let's start with the pros:

* Location - Right in the heart of downtown
* Rooms were clean - All the basic blocking and tackling of a hotel room were there
* Pool area - I bopped by here, and it's pretty nice. I really liked the cabanas, though they (and all the lounge chairs, for that matter), were claimed on a Friday afternoon.
* Gym - PHENOMENAL - Very big with lots of options

However, there were a couple things that left us far short of 'wow' and more like 'wouldn't do it again, except to get my Starwood stays'. It felt more like a business hotel (but not top-notch, what I would expect of a Westin, for instance). Couple areas they fell short of expectations:

* Service - There were just enough hiccups to be annoying. When we checked in (as a couple), we were given two double beds without being told that by the check-in staff. Granted, we are two women... but had requested a king... and it just happened to be gay pride weekend so felt like that should have been on their radar. Similarly, we were told there was breakfast in the lounge, but when we went up during the breakfast time, they were out of food. The second day, they were out of coffee.

* Room layouts - The rooms (both the 'suite' we were in the first night and the king sized room) were laid out in a somewhat awkward way. In the suite, the lounging chairs were as far as possible from the TV. In the king, the TV was basically the desk. Again, I know Sheratons are different from Westins but this felt like a solid step below.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Casey_Taylor
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

If you want a lot of heartache- don't stay here - it's not worth it. My husband & I stayed here a week because of a conference I was attending. We waited over 1/2 hour to check in. I had done my research & I was a SPG member so I asked for the 20th or 21st floor where there were a lot of free amenities. The clerk said they were all booked. (People I know checking in after me - managed to snag one of those rooms.)

We went up to our room in the Tower only to discover the tiniest hotel room - 12x15. I couldn't spend a whole week in that room. We dragged our luggage downstairs & my husband waited in line again. We were given a slightly bigger room.

The next day - we saw a HUGE room that our friends had checked into the same time we originally checked in! Unbelievable! Do Not ask for a king bed - go for the two double beds & you will get a BIG room!

My husband talked to the night mgr, Pat, and she reassured my husband that she would call me by 2pm the next day and we could move to a bigger room. No call was received by 2pm. My husband again goes to the front desk to ask for the general mgr, Tony Dunn, only to be told he is not in.

We finally move for a 3rd time to a "handicapped room." No one helps us!

This room is a lot bigger! Why couldn't we have it to begin with!?

We enjoyed eating at the bar, Mix, outside on a few nights until our friend, Mike, also a guest at the hotel, was accosted by a homeless guy TWICE while he was eating outside at Mix. The first time - Ron, another guest at this hotel, told the waiter who shooed the guy away. The 2nd time - the waiter stood there & did nothing. When Mike told him he would never be back - the waiter said, "After all - this is 16th Street."

I could go on & on and we try to give people a chance to make a wrong right but in this case - no attempt at being helpful appeared. I won't even go I to our other conference attendees who had to move 4 times to find a room with a/c that worked.

Just don't stay here. There are tons of other high class hotels in the area that are better. For $180/night which included tax - it isn't worth the frustration with no attempt for customer service.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Teach4Jen
Dear Teach4jen,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback so that we can improve. I am so sorry that your recent stay with us was such a disappointment! We definitely had several opportunities to turn this situation around and it appears that we failed to do so on every occasion. I would like to connect with you directly so I can get more information as due to the anonymous nature of your review I cannot do much more than apologize and share the comments with our team and I would like to personally insure these things do not happen again. Please send me your contact information to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com if you would like to have further interaction on this situation.
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager
Novato, CA
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights as part of a convention. This hotel is very large...large enough have two towers of rooms.

The meetings were held in the basement levels between the two towers. Although it was convenient to be able to go straight down to the meeting room level from my room, there is a lot of walking involved.

A MAJOR problem was our electronic keys...they kept getting demagnetized, so we kept having to trek over to the check-in desk to get new keys. This happened at least 3 times with our room door, as well as a handful of times getting into the club room (an extra I paid to get access to). Because my room was in the auxiliary tower, the trek each time was a a 15-minute ordeal. I mentioned it at check out and the reaction by the desk clerk was under whelming.

PROS:
-located next to 16th Street Mall, so plenty of places to eat, drink and shop besides at hotel
-good if you're attending a conference at this hotel
-Club Room is nice, but it is an additional $20 per day per person

CONS:
-huge property....getting from your room to your meeting room, lobby, etc. is a hike
-$10 per night charge for Wi-Fi. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Room Tip: Get room in the main tower (the same one that the lobby and meeting rooms are in). Otherwise you'...