“Better than average but not exceptional.”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #62 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Missouri
“Better than average but not exceptional.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently for a conference. The hotel is nice, nothing wrong with it at all, but not great. There are two sections, the plaza and the tower. The tower is older with smaller rooms but a better view. The plaza is somewhat newer with larger rooms but little to no view. I had a corner room in the plaza building. The room was huge with plenty of room. Beds were comfy but pillows are too soft for my taste. Standard amenities including plenty of electric outlets for chargers. Bathroom was again large with the standard amenities. It has a magnification make-up mirror that I had no need for but some might.

The meeting rooms and ballroom are pretty good. Again not spectacular but better than average for a conference hotel. Catering was OK, not great but not bad. The bar/pub in the lobby is a nice addition as it has over 100 beers on tap including a lot of local beers. The food was above average too. If you have conference in downtown Denver, this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Plaza or Tower. Make sure you ask!
1 Thank HenryFlagler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I just stayed at the downtown Denver Sheraton Hotel. If you can find somewhere else to stay And your time in Denver is important PLEASE stay somewhere else. The executive level is a joke. Stale food being served to guest at a Sheraton? Yes, in the club lounge. The selection is better at a Hampton inn at halve the price. The staff was ok but I waited 6 hours ( not a typo) for my room. We got to Denver early 9am and went straight to the hotel to see if we could check in early. We arrived at the hotel around 9:40. Went to the front desk and inquired about checking in early. We where told we could but it would be around noon. That was great so we had breakfast in the hotel waiting for our room. 12 came and no room. We asked at the front desk we were told any minute. So we waited in the lobby in the most uncomfortable chairs on the planet. Did I mention we were traveling with a infant?
We waited until 3:40 check in time is 3pm and was told our room is ready. I asked when we were going to be told it was ready and the clerk flippantly remarked oh sorry you had to wait until check in time to check in. I almost lost it! We explained to the clerk that if we were just told we could not check in early we had already made other arrangements that we canceled because they told us we could check in early. The room was damp and musty and on the second day the ran out of towels. Yes they ran out of towels in the Sheraton so we only got one bath towel to share and a couple of hand towels. I was done at the point and just trying to hold it together for my wife's sake.
I own an insurance company and spend about $ 12,000.00 per year on hotels and Other than the swan and dolphin hotels in Disney which we love I nor my family ever stay in a Sheraton property again. I even sold my stock in the company which was doing well but I am predicting a major correction to the members of my investment club and were all dumping the stock.
I have also changed my company travel rules to exclude Sheraton and SPG properties from company reimbursement in the future.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Green Features: They are saving water by not washing towels or cleaning rooms. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. This is not the first time having a bad experience with Sheraton hotels but it will be the last.
1 Thank university I
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear familychow,
I am so sorry that your stay was such a disappointment. I definitely would like to connect with you directly as soon as you have a moment so I can appropriately apologize and recognize the inconvenience you and your family suffered during your recent stay. Also, I would like to investigate on our side the mistakes that were made in getting you into your room in addition to the other problems you experienced, but due to the anonymous nature of reviews I do not have enough information to act. If you would like to take a few moments of your time, please send me an e-mail with your contact information so I can call you right away.
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager
La Plata, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel has a great location and has lots of hidden gems. The hardest thing is learning one dedicated route to get back to your room in the Tower ( the hotel has two parts) after that it is superb. I stayed here when it was packed for National Education Association convention. It was fully loaded and yet, the staff was superb and terrific. Everyone that worked there did a fantastic to try to make everyone happy.
The rooms were various sizes, some rooms bigger than others...remember you are only there to sleep mad watch a little television.
There are many awesome food choices for you , one Is Duck Soup - an absolute must..it is locally sourced restaurant....they do soups and sandwiches ,salads and combos. This is a must do..go early in afternoon to make sure soups are fresh. Watermelon soup....wow...spicy with just enough sweet. Do you self a favor, tell Kate you read the review on line.
The restaurant has a trolley that will ride you the length of 16th street so easy access to a lot of things.

Room Tip: Corner suites have nice views, odd shapes. The rooms don't have fridges or microwaves, be prepa...
Green Features: Love their policy on towels. They reward you for not changing your towels every day.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I travel often for work and this is a nice property, but after a long day of work, I want to come back to my hotel to relax, do some work, grab a bite to eat, and get to bed. Not deal with a ton of drunk people attending a conference and have to ask several people where to find the business center. I hopped on a computer, which uses the new microsoft interface that I'm not remotely familiar with, and it took me forever to navigate the internet and jump to a PDF, plus it had me on a timer. I attempted to print a document following the instructions provided and turns out, you don't even need those instructions. When I ordered room service, it was prompt, hot but the food was mediocre, certainly not worth over $40 for a chicken dinner and glass of wine. There are enough hotels downtown that with a mediocre experience, I wouldn't choose to come here or send any clients here again.

Room Tip: Ask to be located around the corner from the elevators. Normally no one wants to be near them, but t...
Green Features: Didn't notice any spoken to during my check-in or in the room.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just what you would expect from a Sheraton. Not too fancy, but everything you need for a decent stay. The hotel opens right on to 16th street and is perfect for restaurants, bars, or just a stroll along Denver's main tourist street.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you need to be downtown, this is a great option. Lot's of eating, drinking, entertainment options in the hotel and nearby. A very big and well equiped fitness facility. Spacious and well appointed rooms. Ample staff. This is a large property, two towers, and can have multiple conventions or meetings taking place simultaneously, so it can be busy. Rooms were reasonably quiet and the beds comfortable. As other reviewers have noted, the elevators are slow and I was stuck on one briefly The crowds can make service a bit slow, but they did make an effort to move people along.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton on a business trip for one week, so I can't really speak to the cost, however, the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds absolutely comfortable. There is a coffee shop inside the hotel that served great tasting coffee, quickly, as well as several restaurants. It is located on the fabulous "16th Street" so EVERYTHING we needed or wanted was extremely convenient. The only trouble we had were using the elevators in the tower sections on one day of our stay. Apparently some were not working or running and it caused tremendous back ups in the lobby. I decided to take the stairs, but was told they were only to be used in emergency. However, the security staff came right away and managed the situation effectively. They took us up a service elevator to alleviate the long waits. All in all, it was a great experience.

Room Tip: I noticed the swimming pool had a hoyer lift for people with disabilities to assist them in getting...
Green Features: This hotel encourages environmentally-friendly practices. If you opt to skip the new towels everyday thing, they give you a coupon for $5 off a beverage at their coffee shop. This amounts to a free drink everyday! Go Green! Go Sheraton!