“Good hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Hotel is located in a great spot in the downtown area right next to a walking mall with all kinds of shops. It is quite a large complex with 2 separate buildings linked with an underground walkway. This is my only negative comment about the hotel. The main check in is in the 'primary' building and our room was in the other building through the tunnel across the street. It was late after a very long day and wondering around looking the correct walkway and elevator for our room in the other building was a bit annoying. It needs to be better marked.

Room Tip: get a room in the "real" hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Perfect location, just a short walk to the State Capitol, Denver Art Museum, Colorado History Center, and many more cultural attractions. The free public bus service ("Free Mall Ride") stops in front of the hotel and offers service all along the 16th Street Mall. We stayed in the older part of the hotel, which is enormous. Clean and quiet, it is connected to the newer part of the hotel, which is where the main lobby is located, by an underground complex of conference and meeting rooms, and by an enclosed above ground walkway. Of course, at street level, guests can simply walk from one building to the other. The main lobby hosts several bars and restaurants, to include a "Peets" coffee shop, all of which we sampled and were superb. Our only issue with the hotel is that we were given a handicapped-accessible room which has a predictably awkward layout for people who are not handicapped. As an example, the room doesn't have a dresser, instead there are small movable boxes used to store clothes, and what appeared to be a wooden cabinet intended to hold a refrigerator was instead filled with these small boxes for clothes and personal items. As an "SPG Member" I'm sure my account doesn't say that I'm handicapped, so I have no idea why the young lady at the front desk stuck us with this strange room.

The good news is that as an SPG member who stayed for four nights, I was happy to hear the front desk tell me at checkout that our internet was free. I guess that made up for the odd room assignment.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not assigned a handicapped-accessible room, unless you need that!
Green Features: We don't pay that much attention to this area, but seems to be well done.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here when on a group tour. Compared to other hotels we stayed at this was nice but you can hear everything in your hotel room. Walking down halls,doors slamming,talking in hallways. Not very sound proof. Room was quite big though. Business computers in lobby didn't work well and printers. They need updating. Hotel is in area that has both a lot of homeless people and shopping

Stayed July 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I got scared with the hotel, I did not expect it to be so expensive here. The Hotel charged up to $ 40 fee for receiving postal order. Most expensive fee I've seen to date so. If You will Buy from the internet, it's better stay in other hotel! You will spend less. Other hotels charged me only $2 or 3 for pack.This hotel is for weight. The Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel should inform that they will charge You for receiving postal order when You do the reservation. This information is very important to not be surprised by the fees which you do not expect. The final price you end up paying for the product by adding this fee does not pay. Apart from this, it's a normal hotel! Nothing extraordinary. So, I don't recomennd this hotel if You want save time buying from the internet, You will save with the price of the hotel, But after You will pay more with the receiving postal order.

Stayed July 2014
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear turista_aju,
Thank you for providing us with feedback. I am so sorry that you have had a negative experience here. I am a bit confused here as our hotel does not charge a handling fee for USPS packages, these are complimentary. Packages sent through FedEx, UPS, etc., are handled through a 3rd party company and do have small fees attached to processing them. I would like to learn more about your experience to ensure you were not overcharged or charged for something that came through USPS. Please send me your contact information to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com and I will respond as soon as possible.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have stayed here before and had a nice time. This time we stayed for july 4th weekend. My company was hosting a booth at the cherry creek arts festival and I wanted to say close to the event. The pool at night time is very cool. 5 floor roof top. Location is good for access to 16th street mall but the mall has declined over the years. My main issue was with the room. unrepaired damage to vents, leaking celing, TV would not work, dust. AC unit was very old with stains. Just kinda gross. Pics below. Room was 1424 in the tower.

Dear Lee K,
Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel I am glad that you enjoyed the many amenities and have been a loyal customer in the past. I am sorry that there were several defects in the room and would like to follow up to ensure they were corrected and you were properly apologized to for the inconveniences you suffered. Please send me your contact information to chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com so I can contact you for more information and apologize personally.
Toronto
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Sheraton Denver Downtown is comparable to a budget Hwy hotel.

Checked in today - chaos in the lobby - very crowded and noisy, a big line up to check in.

I requested an upgrade to the concierge floor - this was not available. No recognition as a Starwood Preferred Guest. I was told I had an "upgraded" oversized room....

My rooms (7th Floor Tower) is tiny - 1/2 the size of a standard hotel room - no dresser (a few drawers in the closet). Closet doors are stiff and hanging. A very tiny washroom. The view is of the air handling unit on the roof next door. Windows don't open - the AC unit is one of those freeze or fry. Clean but a very dated décor.

This property is a typical (dated) lower quality convention room factory. No personality, charm or sense of hospitality. They must count on over-charging non-repeat convention business

Several unsavory types lurking near the entrance door areas of the main level; no security visible.
For the price the hotel is poor value.
I should have opted for the Hyatt - seems newer a better quality experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Tower Rooms" or better still - choose the Marriott or the Hyatt
Green Features: The hotel offers to reduce your bill if you cut back on the cleaning - seriously what nonsense. This a cheap cost cutting ploy- couched in Green Wash - this hotel needs all the housekeeping it can get - definitely not a place to cut back..
1 Thank Mark H
Dear Mark H,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am so sorry that your stay with us was such a negative experience. Being the largest hotel in the state of Colorado and indeed hosting many large conventions does make us quite busy. I am sorry that there were so many people in our lobby during your stay. I also apologize that you didn’t enjoy your accommodations. Since our hotel does have over 1200 guest rooms with many different room types and sizes, we can definitely accommodate specific requests should you wish to stay with us in the future. Finally, I apologize that you were confronted with some unsavory individuals. While we do have 24 hour security on throughout the two square city blocks our hotel occupies, we definitely should have prevented them from gathering around the entrances to our hotel. I would like to get more information so we can hold the appropriate people accountable for the defects you experienced so if you would like to send me an e-mail to me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com I will contact you directly.
Montgomery County, PA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I spent two nights here in July 2014. Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel is a full service meeting/convention type facility with all manner of amenities and a very good location.
It is two buildings separated by an "under-street connection". This does make the walk from the Tower section to the main desk/main lobby area a bit long . . . that is if you need to make the trip.
Rooms were very attractive. Bathrooms slightly small. But, both are nicely done and mine were immaculate. WiFi was free, safe was free, housekeeping very good and staff very helpful.
I found the location at the top of the 16th St. Mall with its free mall bus very convenient to businesses, shopping, restaurants. I had no need for a car or cabs.
I used the RTD public bus from the airport to get to downtown (roundtrip $20) and then the mall bus from Union Station to the Hotel. Very convenient and a price saver.

Room Tip: The tower rooms where i stayed are in a separate building across the street from the section where t...
Green Features: The hotel has a practice of allowing guests to opt out of everyday housekeeping. That is fine with me: I don't get clean sheets everyday at home.
1 Thank JEDMAD_9