“Exceeded My (Low) Expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Denver Downtown

Holiday Inn Express Denver Downtown
Ranked #58 of 154 Hotels in Denver
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Exceeded My (Low) Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

I’ve stayed at just about every major hotel in downtown Denver over the years, but this was my first time at the Comfort Inn. I found a deal here for a weekend in May, the location was exactly what I was looking for, so why not? I can’t remember the room number, but I believe we were in one of the middle-to-upper floors, away from the elevator.

Reading the past reviews, I was a bit concerned about having to battle jetlag in a loud hotel with slamming doors and rowdy guests. However, the room was clean, quiet, and comfortable (hence the name, I suppose). Nothing fancy, but nothing horrible either. The staff were all very friendly. The only negative things I remember were a mediocre breakfast selection and a steep charge for valet parking.

Overall, I was rather impressed with this hotel. It isn’t very exciting, but if I’m back in Denver and everything is either booked up or overpriced again, I’d probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sinaasappelsap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

This place is in a terrific location. One block from the 16th street mall. We caught the free shuttle to a Rockies game, US mint, CO capital, etc. The hotel was nice. Never heard the slamming doors others talked about. You could hear the noise from the city.....but it is in the city! Parking cost an extra $20. (We turned our rental car in a day early to avoid the fee.) The staff was not the most knowledgeble but very friendly. Free breakfast, consisted of hot and cold food.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

We stayed at the Comfort Inn so we'd be within walking distance of a favorite restaurant. It had the best rates downtown and the reviews were acceptable. The front desk staff was amazingly nice and friendly and the room was comfortable. We had a free upgrade to a suite and that was a nice surprise. We were on the 16th floor so possibly it wasn't as noisy as others complained about. We did hear fire trucks a few times but I've never stayed in a downtown hotel where I couldn't hear the street noise.
An added bonus was the free happy hour complete with a chair massage thrown in.

Breakfast wasn't that great but we've had worse hotel breakfasts. Season the eggs and it would be much better. The only negative we encountered was the $20 charge for parking that was unadvertised when I made reservations. Not a nice welcoming gift.

Otherwise, I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Laurel, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

There are plenty of pros for this hotel (as you can see from the other reviews), but the fact that you cannot get any rest at night vastly outweighs them all, and makes this place a terrible place to stay at.
The doors to the rooms are very heavy and slam every single time. There's also this huge space under the door, so of curse you can hear every time a person is going in or out. You can hear the elevator noise, just as if you were in elevator shaft; then of course, you have the drunks coming to their rooms at 2 am and ordering room service; you can hear that too; you can hear when someone in the next room flushes the toilet or takes a shower. For two consecutive nights we could hardly sleep, and I wear earplugs! So if you actually want to rest a night and get some sleep, this is NOT the place for you. No matter how fancy a place is, you cannot enjoy any of it if you haven't slept properly in two days.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

We stayed at this hotel on the last night of our Colorado vacation to catch a Rockies game and fly out of Denver airport the next morning. This was our first visit to Denver and we were looking for a cheap (okay, I said it!) room downtown withing walking distance to Coors Field. We were very pleasantly surprised by the friendly valet and front desk staff. Our room was on the corner, a curved wall of windows around two entire walls offered a great view of the city. The bathroom was small and water temperature flucuated during a shower, but only slightly. Other reviews mentioned the noise problems, and we did hear slamming doors at times, but during the night it was very quiet. I was awakened by a very loud garbage truck just before sunrise though. The breakfast is decent, more than expected - scrambled eggs (powdered), sausage, potatoes, waffles and everything else you normally find in a free breakfast. The location of this hotel is great, just a block from the 16th street pedestrian mall. There's a free shuttle bus that takes you from one end to the other, but we ended up walking the whole way to the game and back because there are so many shops and restaurants along the way. Also, I felt very safe at 11:00 at night here. For the money, this is the best value for a downtown hotel - including breakfast! Oh, and it didn't take 15 minutes to get our car, as another reviewer stated. Maybe 5 at the most.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

A friend and I met in Denver for a "girls' getaway weekend". I made the reservation on-line, using the "Best Guaranteed Internet Rate" link and obtained a room for $65/night. Even with both of us valet parking our cars at $20 each per 24 hours, it was still a great deal. When I checked in, the room I was given was clean, but it was obvious there were some repairs in progress in the bathroom. When I called the front desk, the employee apologized and asked me to return to the lobby for another room key. She was extremely apologetic, and upgraded us to a suite to compensate for the "inconvenience". The suite had a large area with office desk and chair, sofa, chair, coffee table and TV. The bedroom had two double beds, a night stand, another TV, and a good-sized closet. The bathroom was was a bit small compared to the size of the suite, but it did have a full-size bathtub/shower. A continental-plus breakfast (eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, beverages) was included in the price. We ate there the first morning, but walked to the 16th Street Mall for something different the second day. This hotel is in a great location and we felt safe walking in the area after dark.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

I stayed for five nights at the Comfort Inn Downtown Denver due to its affordable rate and proximity to the Pepsi Center. The standard rooms are small, but that is expected in a downtown hotel. Breakfast consisted of powdered eggs, sausage, cereal, breads, juice and awful coffee. I later found an automated mocha/hot chocolate dispenser around the corner in the breakfast room. The hallways seemed a bit outdated (wallpaper, doors, room numbers, etc.) The beds looked new and were firm. Located one block from the 16th Street Mall, it is convienient to shopping, dining, and sport/concert venues. Parking is valet only at $20 per night. The overall service was prompt and pleasant. After snowboarding at Loveland, I was looking forward to sitting in a hot tub, which one was not available, nor was a pool. The exercise room had enough equipment to complete a full circut. The hotel has a walkway to the adjacent Brown Palace Hotel. Another negative was it's lack of a fridge in the room. A microwave is available in the lobby. I hope this review is useful. I would stay here again if ever traveling to Denver again.

• Liked — View of Mile high Stadium and Mountains. Proximity to 16th St. Mall
  • Disliked — No pool/hot tub, in room fridge/micro
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank OutdoorEnthusiast14